1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Emotion Pack, 18K Kms, 3 years and 3 breakdowns

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 Fire' started by caffeineam, Nov 28, 2012.

1. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

This review is more of a record of how it is to live with this car. Bought in June 2009 with a considerable chunk of money (for me at least) and was quite happy with it till the failure of the clutch. This was the infamous plastic part problem that the SA neglected to mention during the first service (at Worli). Got it towed home late at night and logged a call with Fortune (then Powai) who promptly changed the part. No issues with the clutch since then.

Second failure was in April this year (2012). Fuel pump failed at a traffic light in heavy traffic. After many angry looks from other motorists managed to push to the side with the help to two traffic cops. Car was pointing up a slope so no way I could push it on my own! Got it towed to Fortune (Saki Naka) and was fixed the next day under extended warranty. Total cost Rs. 11,832, had to pay 2,279 under extended warranty.

Third failure was last night. EXACTLY the same problem. Stopped at a traffic light. Engine sputters and then stops. Looks like the fuel pump has failed AGAIN in less than a year!! Got the car towed home as it was quite late. Will be calling Fortune in the morning as soon as they open.

Did I mention the paid service was done on Saturday (24-Nov) and it failed yesterday (27-Nov)? Makes me wonder what kind of spares these people put in the cars. I intend to escalate this with Fiat India. Will appreciate if anybody has the contact details.
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Please refer http://www.teamfiat.co.in/contacts/7-fiat-india-contact-list.html.

Shoot a strong e-mail and keep following things up. I do not understand why you have to pay even if it is under extended warranty?

MODS NOTE - Please have a read of : http://www.teamfiat.co.in/announcements/4679-request-when-quoting-posts.html
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Extended warranty is for the part mentioned and there is no percentage of cost mentioned. As far as I know, to replace a part under extended warranty, they cannot even charge labor cost to the owner. The part as well as the replacement cost is covered.
    Fuel pump failing just in three days of servicing the car, that too paid, just means they didnt do their job properly. Escalate to FIAT asap.
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

Horrifying stories make me scared ...seriously failure of primary components leading the stand still state is unexpected from a car thats suppose to be premium delivery of JV.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate. Did the TASS try and give any diagnosis about why the pump failed? How much of a fuel level do you generally keep in the tank. I believe this is the first case of this type we're hearing here (?).

Come on man. One fuel pump failure and you're writing an obituary already.
    3 people like this.
  6. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Thanks for the list. I was too bugged to look it up!

Posted the scans of the invoice and receipt. There was oil top up done, but that does not look like it added up to 2,279 with taxes. Will mention this in the letter/email that I write to them.

Pushing a fiat is a good workout. Strength while on level road and cardio/athletics when you realize it’s heading downhill and you need to literally jump in to stop the missile!

Last failure’s diagnosis was “Electrical part hai…”. I quote because that’s what the guy said. I usually tank up till full but not to the brim, then refill when it gets close to the warning marker.

I haven’t seen a fuel pump issue here or in TBHP, guess mine’s the first (on the net at least). This time they think it might be a sensor, but did not want to hazard a guess without checking it out. I’m expecting a call in the afternoon with the findings.

7. sachinls3

sachinls3 Amatore

Hello Gurjinder ,

When you say how much fuel you put in, I am just curious what would be a safe practice while tanking up and also how much quantity should be kept in the tank for a long duration if the car is going to be idle for a whole week or so etc. I usually drive on weekends that too not every weekend. It's like whenever required.

Also, I fill in the tank up to the brim. Is it safe? Will it cause failure of the fuel pump or any other issues?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  8. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Update: I just got a call from the Service Advisor that it is again a Fuel Pump issue and since the earlier pump was replaced in April 2012 and we are in November 2012 (more than 6 months) it is now out of warranty and that I will have to pay FULL price for a new one.

Heading over to Fortune Saki Naka right now to chew their heads off and get the names and designations of people involved as well as the serial number of the part that failed. If necessary will go to court and/or shame FIAT publicly so their Sales hurt so badly they reconsider what they think of their customers.

Edited to add:
    Can somebody help me with a registered postal address where I can send a formal written letter with copies of my receipts? The document trail needs to be undeniable.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3

When you changed it last time, in April, why extended warranty didn't cover it?

Technically Service center is right, that after any parts change, 6 month they replaces it under part's warranty. But this is shocking to see same part is is failing just after 6 month completed.
    Try sending email to Fiat as well.

Also, is your extended warranty still valid, this should also be covered under that.