1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. vishal_tomar

vishal_tomar Timido

Grande Punto 1.3

i have also seen many times with running behind swift DDis , it smoke like old deisel engines do when throttle , if you hear to it closely near bonet , the noise level is lesser then punto assuredthat fiat has not given their tunning to swift . punto has it own spacific roaring sound with low RPM in city .
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Yesterday while getting glow plug replaced in my Linea.
    I had a discussion with Fiat's Service advisor and Head Mechanic regarding cleaning of EGR and Intake Manifold cleaning.
    According to if it aint broken dont fix it,as in if car is not suffering from excessive black smoke and Engine Check light or other problems,let it be,and carry on.
    1 person likes this.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

I was just getting bored at home sitting idle so did cleaning. Don't think theres any need to touch it until and unless errors start to appear on MID.
    Theres no major improvement after cleaning, the FE is same as before just the engine feels a lil smooth and free revving.(That too may be in my head only, dad didn't noticed anything different post cleaning)
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Makes sense,so any preventive measures we can take to prolong the clogging of EGR and intake manifold.?
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    recently my car was for 4th service in FIAT exclusive service center pune.after the service my car have gone butter smooth ,unbelievable i never thought the tremondous change in the ride.i'm simply loving the way the work have been done on my car.
    Got EGR cleaning in the same service center they charged me 450 rupees.Now my car above 120Kmph is so easier and so smooth..... previously the same used to sruggle and was very much sluggish.
    1 person likes this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Most mechanics don't believe in preventive maintenance. They will wait till symptoms start appearing.
    3 people like this.
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I agree,but its also said,"if its not broken,dont fix it"
    If a car is running fine without excessive smoke why pull it apart?.
  8. It all depends on what you want from your car, i wanted better FE with low NVH from engine , i got what I wanted from it, it is upto you whether you want do it or not.
    I donot believe a clogged manifold or EGR will do any good to the car. I feel happy when car doesn't boom at 3000 RPM and i have lot silent cabin.

- - - Merged Post - - -

May be you car did not have had too much of sludge,but mine it has made a big difference. it is not easy to get smoother engine and free revving.
    I used to be petrol head and was used to those terms very much abut since i switched to Diesel i was in constant search of the same qualities/characteristics only after doing these EGR/manifold cleaning i am getting that.I am getting better FE than before.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

My car easily returns 21-22kmpl during my daily commute,has a fairly silent cabin,flies to 160 easily(4K RPM),and goes beyond.
    Does not smoke too much,all this at 80K+ kms on odo,though i agree,that my car has seen 4-5 oil\oilfilter changes in past 30K kms.
  10. Punto and Linea have little different NVH charecterstics and state of Tune, TFIEin Gopi was here in bangalore to get this done for his Punto 90Hp,when he drove my car his feedback was my car was more silent than his Punto 90HP before the cleaning job,Your Linea also sports the same Engine.
    Trust me 2009/10 Punto's had high NVH at higher RPM's.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012