1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. sandy.chegi

sandy.chegi Novizio

Bangalore
    Sat-chit-ananda, that's pretty close to my house. Mine is BSK 3rd stage. Coming back to the point about cleaning the manifold and related things, is it the same for Petrol car as well? I am not very good with the internals, so need some clarification. Also, where is this guy Harish put up? May be I can get it checked as my car is about 80K run. Others may also thrown in some points on my question.
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    We'll be waiting for the DIY Pic's/Video's as usual. Please make sure you grab some while doing the DIY.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Cleaned the intake, inter cooler and Egr today. The car is much more quiet and responsive below 2000 rpm. Flat spot near 3k rpm is gone and car drives very freely. Loving how its revving.
    Took me complete 8 hrs to do all this work. Have clicked some pics would upload them tomorrow. Could not take pics after removing Egr valve and intake as my hands were black in carbon and didn't wanted to spoil phone/camera. Intake was completely blocked, I am wondering how the car was breathing earlier. I opened the pipe going from inter cooler to air intake and it throwed huge carbon deposits below. EGR pipe going into intake was even worse had to scrap with tools to have carbon off.
    Best part of all this is now my low beam throw have improved by 50% achieved this by installing them a few mm up than before. Aligning the bumper took more than 1.5 hrs but now the gaps are reduced than factory fit.
    Never ever doing this again, have pain in hands, legs, back and neck. Much better to pay and get this done sitting next to mechanic.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    7 people like this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    It worth for the results you mentioned. I doubt whether the mechanic will take as much as care that the owner will take.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    True sungoa2010 an owner will take much more care but the work is very dirty. My hands are black even now after washing them 10+ times. Seems would have to wash them in petrol tomorrow which I used to clean everything, very tired now.
    3 people like this.
  6. Petrol's will have throttle body,Manifold,EGR and MAF sensor, these stuff needs cleaning.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I have already post the link to pictures here http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3-mjd/809-why-i-brought-grande-punto-why-am-happy-17.html#post145798

- - - Merged Post - - -

Did you open remove the engine guard to remove manifold ?
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    No I didn't removed engine guard to remove manifold. The nuts are accessible without removing it just takes a few turns of hands and some difficulty in finding the screws.
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Hey,

I did see your pics but could not make out where most of those components are in the engine bay.

What's the component where you plugged in the rag cloth? You blocked the right side one which has the arrow pointing to the right but i have no idea what that component is and what it does?
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Notice how the carbon deposits have fallen down
    DSC_0108.jpg
    Carbon goo on the tools
    DSC_0109.jpg
    Clogged Pipe
    DSC_0110.jpg
    Just notice the deposits
    DSC_0111.jpg
    Intercooler out
    DSC_0112.jpg
    How the car looks without bumper and intercooler
    DSC_0113.jpg
    Just before I started putting intercooler back. Notice Roots windtone installed 1 year earlier in wrong way , the trumpets should be facing road, would have to make custom plate to install the correct way. Too lazy to do this. Pretty loud even this way. Headlight removed to correct spread and throw of light, total 6 screws to be removed to remove headlight.
    DSC_0114.jpg
    New clamps in place
    DSC_0115.jpg
    Everything fitted
    DSC_0116.jpg
    Morning snap which I took before taking car out, also notice our M800 parked outside with metallic white paint. Messed up place, construction work going on.
    DSC_0118.jpg
    Kmpl reading within city. No difference at all same as before this is what I have been getting after timing chain replacement.
    DSC_0119.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    10 people like this.
  10. That is ECU