1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Here are pictures as promised earlier.
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3...-grande-punto-why-am-happy-17.html#post145798

- - - Merged Post - - -

I got it cleaned using IP and zip pouch, it can be DIY job explained in details on Team BHP.if you feel little power loss after tass service , it could be due to battery.
    Once disconnected temporary maps needs to rebuilt again and it will take about 50-75 kms , car will back to where it was.

Irrespective of the out come EGR and Manifold needs to be cleaned.Looking at your problem description you seems to be faceing the same issue what I faced, go for all round cleaning of Air passages like MAF,Intercooler,EGR,Manifold and MAP .
    That should resolve your issue i hope.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Hmm, May be the level of difficulty is relative:)
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Don't know why but my car doesn't show check engine light when I disable EGR by removing it's power plug. Have drove above 2k kms (accidentally, was thiking of cleaning it but dropped the plan due to exams) with cable removed no error on MID but throws a code when scanned with OBD tool multiecuscan and alfaobd.

Is there any harm driving this way mine is pre Euro IV 86 BHP Euro III Linea?

Thinking of doing a complete air intake cleaning from intercooler to intake manifold in coming days, have completed 80k kms with no problem and still no problem just want to get my hands dirty. Its very difficult to pass time when not going to college.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    Cleand EGR,Intack Manifold and inter cooler from tcrs mumbai 3 weeks back
    total bill 1500 rs
    6 to 8 hour job
    results................. Super smooth,silent fuel avrg Gone up
    IT IS MUST .... it should be done after every 30,000 kms
    1 person likes this.
  4. IIRC, you did clean your intake manifold some time back right? There should not be any harm if the EGR is disabled by your method. But I am surprised that you are not getting check engine warning many people seem report it in the FIAT forums.
  5. Did you also replace your Airfilter during this time?
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I had asked for all this it to be cleaned during 60k service and it was agreed by SA and was mentioned as done but when I checked the intake by removing MAP Sensor at around 70k kms I could see all that goo than crosschecked the invoice and it didn't mention it so left it at that only. MAP sensor was completely surrounded by all that semi liquid carbon. I had to wash my hands many times to get rid of all that black residue.
    Even I am surprised why I am not getting CEL warning after removing cable from EGR valve, though the scanner shows the fault as stored and present but description says check engine light was not lit by this fault so ECU is working normal maybe difference in ECU software for BSIII and BSIV vehicles.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That's nice if it's not throwing any lights.

Do you know how the EGR is programmed? It's opening and closing and under what conditions. That can throw a lot of light on whether disabling it will harm or not. On older mechanical diesels, it was a no brainer - disable and be done with it. Not sure how these electronic gizmo engines will react on disabling the EGR.

Italia-linea - what say?

Cheers.
  8. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    I am getting the map revalidated by Sid if TASS has fiddled something. He probably needs to take out the ecu, so I might delete the egr completely. Probably after that I'll go for complete air intake cleaning.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Are you going the DIY way?
    Let me know when you plan to do it.
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    The Egr duty cycle varies even during idling sometimes its 2% while sometimes it's above 40 %. Have tried understanding when it opens but have got no clue on what parameters it monitors to decide duty cycle of Egr.

Akshay yes going the DIY way.