1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. @avnsiva. I too planned to take my car to RDC FIAT chennai for cleaning my EGR. As i mentioned to SA that my car little sluggish with without AC and more sluggish with AC ON. He said by Cleaning EGR it can be solved . Is it true. And did ur friend feel any difference after cleaning EGR.

pls help me out ........:confused:
  2. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

My car too experiencing lil jerks form past 20k kms, now after completing 50k kms car has become even more jerky specially at pre turbo region. I think EGR is playing tricks here as everything is else is fine, got it checked at FASS. Now the mechanic at FASS is telling me to replace EGR which costs Rs 8000. Can anybody let me know if EGR is prone to damage, or can be cleaned and used again. Asking because if cleaning can do the job then I wont go for replacing, its quite steep for a thing which in some 20-30k kms will again start playing tricks.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

Grande Punto 1.3
    This happens to me too. I am observing this since 1 month. On Cold start, RPM Needle goes down on crank and Come back to position after ignition.
    I think this behaviour is due to weak battery.
    1 person likes this.
  4. I went to check the performance of EGR due sluggish behavior of my car. I don't know what they did to my car. But they charged Rs.450 for examining the problem and said everything is fine.

But after that when moving back to home i too had the same problem, i too don't know what it could be? could anyone justify it.
    1. A foul smell comes from the AC vent , when goes away with 5 to 10 seconds .
    2. The RPM needle moves up and down while same cold start before settling down.

5. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

So got the so called EGR cleaned today, mine was not in so much bad condition as seen previously in this thread. The concerned technician disconnected the EGR and test drove the car but the jerks and inconsistent power delivery was still there. Anyways, i insisted them to clean it anyway which they promptly agreed to (when even upon hooking OBD reader, they found no fault in EGR). It took almost 2 hours and result was a smooth engine response I was missing from so many days. Technicians verdict was that EGR does nit need cleaning minimum till 80k-1lack kms and then also car would throw an error once its time to clean it. He insisted me more to give car some pedal to metal treatment whenever I get chance, specially in 3rd gear, that is enough to keep everything fine. Anyways, charged Rs 800. Thou Iam in double mind now that if EGR is really a matter of so much concerned or we are targeting something wrong for the right.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

City run cars have their EGR choken in just 25k odd kms. Cleaning wont harm, will it?
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i'm also in same boat,i was also about to do the EGR cleaning thanks for your review.so whats the next diagnose ?
  8. As i mentioned above #244 thread.

those two problem which i mentioned was completely disappeared .
    no smell from A.C vent and no rpm needle fluctuation .

9. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Cleaning wont harm if EGR gets chocked in 25k odd kms but here, after cleaning EGR, car returned to the same condition as it was before EGR cleaning. So now it is harming me. For now, iam tackling the problem with spirited driving and these days my car is mostly seeing 3000 - 4000 rpm range.

- - - Merged Post - - -

EGR cleaning helps but not much. The technician who did the cleaning also pointed out that EGR system in both Punto and Linea is not good. He was't sure about the exact problem but he said most of the cars is having this problem and once it appears theres hardly any proper solution. And now I realize he was right, my car is again got same jerky below 2000rpm. But then it is still a lil better than before. So getting EGR cleaned should be very first step. If you hav't till now do get it cleaned. Theres usually a chaos in that lil thing. I'll now wait for 60k servicing, will try to get it solved then. Currently Iam at 52k kms.

DEAR MODS- Is there any setting to get notification when someone quotes ? Iam not getting any and usually miss when someone quotes my post :(
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Sunswape, have you made sure the turbo hoses/joints etc from the turbo till the intake are completely leak-free? I had the same symptoms of jerky power delivery and loss of power.

I still have a clogged EGR and pretty badly clogged intake manifold as well. But the jerks disappeared when I had the leaking turbo hose replaced. Now it drives just normal, no jerks whatsoever, even with the afforementioned clogged items. Pulls hard from 1800 or so rpm right uptill 4000+ without any drama. Get the plumbing thoroughly checked.

2 people like this.