1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    The same is here too buddy but I asked him to clean everything as my Turbo was getting replaced under EW and timing chain for 60K requirement.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    may be a naive question. kindly comment :)

I haven't seen anyone talking about cleaning the turbine fins of turbo charger. Is it so that the turbo fins will never accumulate sludge due to higher rpm?

As many are opting to go for this EGR+ cleaning at an outside workshop, ain't this going to kill the standard warranty of the vehicle itself and the extended warranty offered on engine? I'm just wondering what level of external work does FASS permit to stay under warranty.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Since this involves cleaning only and no part replacements, FASS will never be able to find out.
    1 person likes this.
  4. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Makes sense. So, it's advisable not to expose the vehicle number if you are still under warranty and getting this process done outside FASS.
    Fiat may not be so aggressive but the extended warranty guys may look for such escape holes.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    They do accumulate a bit of heavy soot, but not touching the turbo fins is the best thing to do. They are delicate parts and if any of the vane angle is changed you will land up with a noisy damaged turbo.
    Even while cleaning if the soot gets jammed in the oil holes of the turbo the lubrication will fail and the turbo will fial too in just few kms.

The service centre has no means to know that you cleaned the EGR outside.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Guys a small query,
    Any pointers towards a garage/mechanic to get it done in Navi mumbai/mumbai area??
    or shall is tick to service centre only??

regards
    Sanjeev
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    tubro failure after soot jamming in oil holes.

Second That. This also brings back some horrid memories as this happened to my Fiat Siena 1.7TD. Immediately after powered spray-washing underbody somehow the Turbo just failed.

Sanjeev,
    Contact Mr. Deshmukh at RS Motors, near Hindustan Naka, they are privately owned garage, capable of the most complex problem solving and servicing for Fiat Cars. He being an Ex-Fiat official, you can maybe know some very interesting Fiat facts or trivia at his workshop :) You will find more palios, puntos and lineas in his garage. Give my referrence name "Prabhu". RS Motors Phone No. 022-28678246.
    Leave it to his judgement if EGR service is needed. Just yesterday we had a detailed discussion about EGR cleaning and service.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    i guess you would not mind sharing with us some points from your detailed discussion.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The 'detailed discussion' part was pertaining to whether and when EGR service was needed. He basically asked if the car was having any pickup troubles, or any sluggishness while driving etc. He also talked about the critical nature of this procedure and such, the exact wordings I cannot remember. 'If it aint broken, don't try to fix it' was the gist of that discussion.

He was by the way also not very much for using Bardahl or other such engine sludge busters as he argued that after removal and cleaning the sump thoroughly during timing chain replacement, it would not matter much and as such one must refrain from such cleaning products.

As far as my own car is concerned it was decided to delay EGR servicing as it is was a tedious and time consuming process in general and of no urgency in my case atleast.

How it is done is documented well in this forum with pics as you probably know.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    EGR serves dual purpose of lowering engine combustion temperature and reducing NOx. Jayadev's statement is half true. What he meant instead was that NOx reduction hampers total output (performance) of the engine. And no they are not "supposed to take away performance" but that is rather a side effect of EGR and not an intent to reduce engine performance or durability.

Again as Jaydev stated, the whole issue of EGR is reducing NOx (euro 2, 3 or bharat stage 2, 3, 4 etc.) and most importantly reducing Diesel Particulate matter or PM from being thrown off in Air. And from the environment factor there is no doubt that it is a measure of utmost importance. What good are the cars if the drivers and other fellow humans fall sick due to environmental pollution?

As for the performance drops here is a wikipedia statement related to the same :
    Exhaust gas recirculation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Though engine manufacturers have refused to release details of the effect of EGR on fuel economy, the EPA regulations of 2002 that led to the introduction of cooled EGR were associated with a 3% drop in engine efficiency, bucking a trend of a .5% a year increase."
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013