1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. rohit tunga

rohit tunga Amatore

Bangalore
    I got my EGR and all the associated parts cleaned from Harish the other day. My car had clocked 81000 odd kms and of late noticed a lot of black smoke under heavy acceleration. Also the car was a bit sluggish (noticed this while test driving a new Linea MJD).

So after giving it much thought, I decided to get the EGR cleaned since it was never done earlier. Thanks to Sat-Chit-ananda for introducing Harish on this forum. So I visited his workshop early in the day so as to avoid rush and be assured that I was the first customer of the day.

After the initial briefing he quickly began the process of stripping out various components to gain access to the elusive EGR pump and valve. Let the pics do the talking

This was the Odometer reading before the cleaning process

IMG_4139.jpg

The whole front end was dismantled to gain access to Intercooler, intake manifold and EGR valve

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

The Intercooler removed and soaked in a cleaning solution

IMG_2805.jpg

This was the hose that connects the Intercooler to EGR valve

IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2823.jpg

This was the sludge deposited on the walls of the pipe

IMG_2808.jpg

This was the same pipe after cleaning

IMG_2833.jpg

Next was the Intake manifold which also had lots of sludge accumulated

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

This was the Intake manifold during the process of cleaning with diesel. Notice the sludge just behind the manifold

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

Now after cleaning, almost as good as new !

IMG_2832.jpg

Next was the EGR Valve and pump and sensors attached to it

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

After diesel spray look how much better it is

IMG_2831.jpg

This was a EGR valve sensor before cleaning

IMG_2820.jpg

EGR valve after cleaning with a special spray (not the regular diesel wash)

IMG_2830.jpg

Finally the EGR pump (or something like that as I forgot the actual name). He said that coolant will circulate via this pump

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

The whole process took 1 full day (9am to 6pm) and was charged Rs 3200 for the services rendered. Overall it was money well spent as the car *felt* smoother and less grumpy in the midrange. I'm yet to test the mileage. Seeing all that sludge oozing out of those components was very satisfying indeed.

15 people like this.
  2. I recommend using ABRO injector cleaner once,hole in the injectors are very tiny,there will be some deposits, getting rid of the will give good results.
    1 person likes this.
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks fr the detailed process with pics rohit !!! Have always wondered what all they do in this process !!
    Was this the first time you are doing this in your car?
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Rs. 3200 is way too much. Though the job done was awesome the price was not right. TCRS mumbai and many other TASS charge 1500 for the whole job.
  5. Yes, Rs 3200 is on higher side.I have recorded this on forum many times like here Shock absorber , i am not writing this post to justify the higher cost.

But what is not mentioned in this post above by Rohit is Harish also cleans the various sensors,Coolant pipes and pump,checks for AC/alternator belt.

He doesn't take any short cut to save time,after seeing the work done, I did not feel like it was higher side although initial thoughts matched yours.

Please don't compare TASS or FASS with Harish's work. It is like comparing haven and earth. Almost every day he has a FIAT to work on, I am yet to hear a single compliant about quality of the work.

He is far more professional,methodical and passionate about his work.Over all he has about 15 years of experience and he is a ex Suzuki service person.

Hope I don't get badged as having a commercial or non-commercial relationship with Harish.Like many of us,I also toiled for 2.5 years with TASS and for some months with FASS before getting myself liberated from those in-competent and careless folks. I used to get my earlier cars serviced by Harish but since I brought FIAT I thought he is not capable of handling FIAT, hence I chose to go to TASS/FASS.

Another reason to go to TASS/FASS was for the sake of warranty and Extended warranty.But all i got from them is pure pain of tampering/damaging my car due to callous/careless/irresponsible and not at all customer focused attitude.

You can go through my ownership threads, I am sure you will understand pain a FIAT'en faces with those people, my car spent good 3 months at TASS it was 21000X3=63000/- is the exact loss I had as it EMI what I paying to Arval but car was just there in TASS biting dust.

I wasted almost 14 days of my paid leaves to make sure those people don't do any harm to my car.

I value my time off-course money, but the peace of mind due to fact that my car is in safe and knowledgeable hands and quality of the work delivered, is far more important than the extra cost involved.If any TASS/FASS had delivered this to me I would have been recommending them not Harish.
    At least I don't have to wait for 30-35 kms of drive in city and appointment which takes a month with FASS in Bangalore.

His labour charges are half of the what TASS/FASS charges for the service. I have done only three services by Harish for my Punto.
    With 99rpm and Harish, I am utilizing my paid leaves with my family in places where my car can take me to.Good bye to TASS and FASS.I now understand what it means by emancipation and experiencing it too.:)
    P.S: This is purely my opinion, you may disagree with me but i still respect your opinion.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    7 people like this.
  6. rohit tunga

rohit tunga Amatore

Bangalore
    Yes Varun this was the first time it had been done to my car. Harish recommended doing this process again in about 30000 or 40000km later.

I agree that the price is on the higher side, but it did involve a lot of labour to get the job done. I remember seeing atleast 2 mechanics almost permantely working on the car from 9 am to 6 pm. They did the following jobs.

1. Removal and cleaning of intercooler
    2. Cleaning of the hose connecting Intercooler to EGR
    3. Removal and cleaning on Intake Manifold
    4. Cleaning of EGR valve and pump.

If TCRS does all of the above within Rs 1500, then yes I did overpay a bit. However, I feel the price I payed is pretty much on par with other workshops of this kind. In fact I had to shell out Rs 300 for changing the brake pads (which is just a 15 min job) at another workshop near my home.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Rohit, I remember our mod Ravi mentioned some where to there was charge of Rs 800/- to remove the bumper and fit it back.

Even for Air filter change , I was charged labor of Rs 150 by TASS, several people mentioned charges for fitting the wiper too.

I see so many service records TASS/FASS labor chargers are high but people pay it with out a comment due to fact that they trusted TASS/FASS will do a good job but after few visits to solve some minor niggles same person starts a thread to complain.
  8. rohit tunga

rohit tunga Amatore

Bangalore
    True that !

I thought of not mentioning this, but anyways since we are on the subject of labour costs let me mention it. When the final bill was amounting to Rs 3200, I actually gave them a tip of Rs 200 after seeing how hard the boys worked to get my car ready by evening. This tip was very politely refused by Harish which made me look like a fool.

The point I'm trying to make here is although Rs 3200 on the whole looks rather expensive (since no new spares were used), there are a zillion other components to remove, refit, adjust just to arrive at Intake manifold for instance and the process of refitting them exactly where they used to be. If I had left the car there at 9am then gone home, slept nicely and later arrived at the workshop at 6pm to take back the car and then handed over the bill of Rs 3200, then yes I would feel that I was overcharged.

To be honest, all those who got their EGR's cleaned by Harish never felt that they overpayed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    2 people like this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    rohit,
    thanks for the pics,i can read your mind and this is really worth ( "I thought of not mentioning this, but anyways since we are on the subject of labour costs let me mention it. When the final bill was amounting to Rs 3200, I actually gave them a tip of Rs 200 after seeing how hard the boys worked to get my car ready by evening. This tip was very politely refused by Harish which made me look like a fool" ) at the end satisfaction is more important.it is more like reducing the cholestrol content of the human body and to do this it costs more time and patience.

Now,the million dollar question,hows the car ? you can feel the same as you done the test drive on new linea ?
    1 person likes this.
  10. rohit tunga

rohit tunga Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi Ganges,

The car is DEFINITELY better after cleaning. However I still feel that its not quite upto the mark compared to the brand new Linea that I test drove in terms of responsiveness. The primary reason for this could be that my car has clocked 81500 kms and its still using the original clutch plates. Man those are some heavy duty clutch plates on the Linea.

Even after a gruelling trip to Ladakh last year and clocking 20000 kms after that, the clutch action is still butter smooth. But the clutch might be at the end of its life which might be the reason for the sluggishness although its better than before.

I'm not going to fret too much over this now and lets see how much longer I can use the stock clutch plates. My target is 1,00,000 km. Lets wait and see if I can achieve that.;)