1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Wow!Looks like a big case of false delivery pain!Friends EGR's dont have to be cleaned for mileages as low as 30k kms,this is a false belief,you're just wasting your time and moneyIf thats the case you will have to clean the turbo,the exhaust manifolds,the Catcon and the silencer.An EGR is supposed to be tolerant to coking to about 100,000 kms and even more,in india we dont even have a DPF,hence chances of coking are even more lower,there is no need of keeping it squeaky clean.It can only jam if you have oil in your exhaust or the fuel is adulterated to a huge extent.I remember the DDIS also had these problems but then.. my advise is "If it aint broke,dont Fix it"
    1 person likes this.
  2. ^^ Dear Sir,
    EGR is scheduled to be cleaned for every 30 K kms by Suzuki who are using the same engine, do you think Suzuki doesn't know what you are saying? Do you think so many people who got this done as their car became sluggish to drive and posted pictures of clogged intake manifold and EGR just wasted money?

Turbo/Exhoust,catcon and even upto the tail pipe of silencer works on high temperatures to clear it self from the soot buildup.
    I am reporting your post to moderators to to ascertain the truth.
    4 people like this.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

^^ to top it all there are many of us who have experienced the difference in car's perfomance post the cleaning.. how does one explain that?
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    FIAT Enthusiast :D .
    2 people like this.
  5. Thats how after sales service make money!

Cant explain the change in performance,but i can show you cars (Swifts) with 75000 kms on the odo with a untouched EGR and still going strong on performance and economy.

Its not a question of truth here,just some friendly advice pal.Its upto you to take it or leave it.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. My dear friend JFYI,

FASS or Earlier TASS never did the MAF/EGR/Intercooler,MAP and manifold cleaning nor it was recommended.I did this to my car after talking to famous tuner Siddharth Chopra and I have posted my experience with pictures.It does enhance or restores performance/refinement.I could have lived with out doing the same for even 100000 kms but would I have liked the car in such condition ?
    No way.May be I would have sold the car.

Regarding your swift example how do you know that MASS hasn't cleaned the EGR as part of regular service?

Again people who got it done are recommending this but leaving to the other who are reading the thread to get it done or drop it.I don't think having Oil/soot clogged intercooler/MAP/MAF and EGR will do any good to car either.
    2 people like this.
  7. My swift vdi is 66k kms old now and still now not even once egr cleaning has been done(the MASS is not even aware that it can be done, they were speaking of not availability of machines etc).I came to know about how important it is to get it cleaned through this forum.and I will surely get it done in my punto.
    Honestly the performance in my swift didnt deteriorate or maybe I never noticed it, but if by doing this our car feels and behaves like stock car theres no harm in doing it.its not that we are going to change the engine or something.
    Btw experts how much will it set me back by to get all the sensors and valves cleaned? Have very little faith in FASS, so guys in bangalore can you point me in the right direction as to from which place I can get it done.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Technically exhaust gases are suppose to take away the performance of otherwise good engine . reason for EGR is to control NO2 emission of course it aids cooler running too so longer life of engine.
    It is not a turbo charger,or intake hose where one cleans it and Voila!.
  9. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

Last week,the service advisor told me that new circular have came from fiat that the EGR valve cleaning must be done along with the 30000km service...
  10. Good. although late, they at least woke up.Need to see what they do just cleaning EGR alone will not be of much benefit although slight difference may be there.
    I have seen reluctance from the TASS/FASS to allow service bay occupied by single car for full day,What about labor charges?
    I am skeptical.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013