1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. carrerastrax

carrerastrax Timido

Bangalore
    Sat-cha-ananda, thanks to you for discovering people like Harish of Pride Cars. I got the EGR, intake manifold etc. of my Linea 2012 cleaned by Harish. I was charged 3200 for the job. This expenditure is by far the most rewarding one that I've done on this car.
    Before this job, my car didn't feel sluggish exactly. Even when the EGR was opened up, it wasn't fully clogged (70% clogged). This is probably because, I use my car predominantly on highways. And a fair bit of usage - 37k kms in a year. For a moment, I was thinking if I had made a mistake by getting it done by non-authorized mechanics.

My thumb rule to judge a good mechanic is by the number of screws and bolts that are left out (or needed additionally) at the end of the job. But Harish and his team didn't have a single bolt or screw left (or needed). Of course, 'single use' consumables like clamps were replaced. This type of work is a hard to find, in these days.
    Coming back to the job, there was a fair amount of carbon deposits in the concerned parts. I would say that the amount of deposits were within the tolerance levels. But at the same time, the engine was definitely working so much more to compensate for these deposits. Once I started the car after the job, the positive effects were immediately visible. The harshness of the engine disappeared. Like veteran 'epicenter.rulez' put it, the car became very 'eager' at all rpms. Took it for a long drive in the night to Kolar CCD and the car worked beautifully well - silent, peppy and very agile. This job is highly recommended every 30k kms.

If anyone's planning to get it done, then please take out time for this. This job needs 1-1.5 days to be done. I landed at 11am and I got the car back at 6.30pm. Mine took less time as it was an unexpectedly dull Saturday for Harish and the deposits were dispensed in a single round of cleaning (diesel spray) for most of the parts. The intake manifold needed a second round. 99% of the deposits were removed at the end. Authorized service centers do not take this work up, unless necessary, as it's time consuming. I tired Vecto and Ebony. Ebony directly told me its a long job. Both of them only agreed to clean the EGR valve alone (for 1k) and kept insisting that it's not required. After all, this job is going to keep a bay occupied for the whole day at the service center and it's not ideal when you have to turn out 20 cars in a day. :)

I'm not associated with Harish or Pride Cars. But I'm a fan of their work now.
    5 people like this.
  2. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    Any garage/mechanic recommendations on where to get this done in Pune ?
  3. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    Italia linea will able to help you in this
  4. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I guess same situation is there all over . Even in Hyderabad i am tired of finding Mechanic for EGR job. I have to come to bangalore to get it done from harish as there is no option leftout here.
  5. I think it will take few years before people will be aware of this and do it as of now they just treat Diesel engines like petrol.Even in petrol TPS and MAP sensor cleaning helps.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    bboy you got a reason to drive in your mighty punto... :D
    i'm getting it done in TASS this weekend,i offered a cup of tea,smoke to the SA,all done.Try this way once.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Recently Tfia'n Subramnayab has sent me a positive feedback on Harish's work and I just called Harish to let him know about the feedback.
    2 people like this.
  8. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes..ganges...i have found reason to go on long drive:) Anyways i would also meet my friends in BLR.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That will be good,but not timing chain replacement,thank god i own 75HP.
  10. carrerastrax

carrerastrax Timido

Bangalore
    If there's no option like Harish in Hyderabad, then it would be worthwhile to get it done in Bangalore. Can you imagine what your return drive would be like? :)
    1 person likes this.