1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    If its thick black smoke then its either a hole in hoses as mentioned above or a turbo gone bust.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    It is indeed thick black smoke!! Its in such quantities that I've had bikers making faces at me after i passed them .let me take the car to SC once again and see what they can do
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    left the car at kht again today! they are going to check all the turbo hoses and clean manifold, MAF & MAP this time!
  4. anand3636

anand3636 Amatore

Cochin (KL - 44)
    I had an issue last night. I was coming back from home from my wife's home which is a good 80 kms from my native place. I had covered some 30 kms and then a beep sound was heard, the warning light was on and a message was shown "Check engine". Since it was 11 pm I didn't dare to turn off the engine to see if restarting would solve the problem. I didn't notice any significant loss of power or drop in FE. About any black smoke I'm not sure as it was dark. Any way I continued driving at moderate speeds around 60-70 kmph with AC turned off , fog lamp switched off and no music too. I was home safely. At home I tried restarting but the problem was still there. This morning I drove to office and back without any problem but the beep, message and warning lamp were still there. Turbo woks fine around 1600-1800 rpm but with marginal fall in power and slight drop in FE also. What could be the problem here? Could it be clogging of the EGR and those related parts? I was planning to take it for 3rd year service next week to Hyson Motors, Ernakulam. Can I continue driving for one more week or should I prepone the service? What should I suggest the SA to check specifically?
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Got my punto back today! A cut in the turbo hose (from turbocharger to intercooler) was the culprit. Black smoke has dissappeared now :p First they cleaned the manifold and tested. smoke was still there then they checked all the hoses and found the culprit. I am happy now!! :D:D
    5 people like this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I had the same problem as well. But i didn't see any black smoke or may be i didn't observe well enough.
    But i got it replaced in time as well
  7. How is the car now?
  8. anand3636

anand3636 Amatore

Cochin (KL - 44)
    How much did they charge you and how much time was taken for the entire job?
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    This time I was charged only for parts replacement as couple of days back they had done EGR/Intercooler cleaning on same complain of mine and charged 1500 labour for that. second time the work took 4-5 hrs.
  10. anand3636

anand3636 Amatore

Cochin (KL - 44)
    Thanks sham for that info. I've booked for my 45000km service at Hyson, Kochi for 8th April. Want to get this part of the engine checked thoroughly.