1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amolmane, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    @Sat-Chit-Ananda & Italia-Linea,

I really appreciate you guys going lengths for explaining EGR and its functions and I also tend to agree that such systems may not be perfect. I understood from your explanations that a carefully configured ECU can tweak other parameters to compensate EGR.

But then my inquisitive brain just refuses to keep mum and asks me why FIAT or for that matter any other engine manufacturer who is equipping their engine with EGR didn't went about this? Wasn't it much easier and cleaner for them to update ECU rather then mechanically putting precision components those are error prone and dirty? Was it because the FE will decrease (as explained by Sat)? Or was it all together different thing?

Also I hope you will not take it offensive. You guys are definitely experts. I am just a learner who is a bit inquisitive and who is trying to figure out some ways to spread a bit less pollution since we have enough around to suck in and die :)

Also to mods, if this thread is getting too much philosophical please don't be hesitant in removing my posts :)
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Hey Sam, this is a healthy discussion and you aint going to offend anyone. Cheers.
    Well there are many regulatory norms or equipments that are forced onto manufacturers. For example DPF too. it gets clogged and decreases performance.

Well yes engineers might have thought very well before designing the EGR. It functions well too. But has other illeffects too. So nowhere its documented the fuel efficiency drop due to EGR.
  3. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    Here are the PICS of inlet manifold and EGR of my Punto taken before cleaning.

IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG

Now I am able feel my punto is more smoother.
    4 people like this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    So today i got the EGR valve, intercooler and the manifold cleaned by Harish ..
    After a whole day's of work and 3k Rs later the engine has become much much more quieter and the throttle response is at least 25% better ..
    I didn't get much time to drive today will update on the driving experience tomorrow...

here are some pics..
    The beautiful MJD
    IMG_20130201_114752.jpg

EGR valve (you can see the grime collected all over the valve
    IMG_20130201_115257.jpg

IMG_20130201_115327.jpg

IMG_20130201_115338.jpg

IMG_20130201_114545.jpg
    4 people like this.
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Double check if there is any sort of leakage in coolant lines. After the EGR opening sometimes there are minute leaks that crop up.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    oh is that so?
    How do i check for leaks now? .. I mean unusually high coolant consumption is the answer? or is there another way out?

Thanks for the response
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the pics and details buddy. Good to know that EGR cleaning process has yielded positive results on your Punto.

Thanks to Sat for sharing info about Harish, which has helped many.

@ Sat, on a lighter note, now you can ask Harish marketing commission or probably free of cost jobs for your car for making him so popular on TFI :-D
    1 person likes this.
  8. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    after going through the thread i wish we have a proper DIY guide for egr and manifold cleaning. i am from assam and i cannot trust the local TASS for this job. is bumper removal necessary for this?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  9. Lol, My only intention was to help other TFI'ns here in forum on place where one can quality service.These days Mechanics with focus on quality is is rare,most of them want just make quick bucks.
    4 people like this.
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Peep inside bonnet from time to time for few days. Check red dry marks and keep and eye on coolant level. Thats the only way.