1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

EGR blocked: Any issue for the engine?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Tellmepleaze, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin, Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hi all,
    EGR in my 2010 Linea MJD seems damaged. Abnormal sound from the engine bay is the symptom.
    EGR is blocked temporarily.

1. Is EGR a must for the engine's normal function, except it reduces pollution ?
    2. Will blocking crate any long term problems?

Pls elaborate.

Thanks for the time...

--gKrish-- likes this.
  2. --gKrish--

--gKrish-- Novizio

TVM, Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    If yours is a bs4 mdoel, you cannot physically blank it because it will throw an error but if your car is a bs3 model, you can do it. In a bs4, youll have to remap the ecu to disable the egr. It will improve performance a bit and increase nox emissions. But personally i believe, letting the engine run on cleaner air without egr will have lesser particulate matter emission. Clogged/faulty EGR does more harm than good. It just ruins the intake and I really hate the black cloud from exhausts.

And was your egr leaking?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    limraj likes this.
  3. harip

harip Novizio

cochin
    Linea 1.3
    Like gkrish said, if the engine is bs3, there should not be any issues. After intake cleaning I have been running for around 3k Kms with an unplugged egr and had no issues. There is difference in low end torque to the positive side. Even I said the fas that I have been running with unplugged egr and they seemed to have no issues. So I have decided to keep it unplugged for the time being.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk