1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ECU to be changed.(knocking sound from engine)

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by varoon9999, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I was facing some heavy knocking sound (kadd kadd) in my punto when car is at low rpm.Been to TASS(abs motors) as per them its fault in ecu and needs to be replaced under warranty.There was a similar case with one linea in past and they did the same ecu change and issue was resolved.I wonder how a 23 months old car can have a faulty ECU.Though the part would be changed FOC but still how fiat can afford so many parts changed for FOC.If i recollect there are some 25+ parts which i have got changed in my stint of owning this car(23 months).Can't passify myself everytime by saying its a machine these issues creeps up??25+parts replaced under warranty??:oops::oops::oops:

anyways now coming to the point,what could be the reason for ECU to go kaput??what are the pros and cons of new ecu to be fixed??
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Varoon bro, was water sprayed/poured on the ECU during car wash? If yes that could be one reason (assuming that this knocking was not present earlier)

look at the bright side, TASS is doing it for free. I guess ABS service guys are good enough, I have heard people praising them
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    That could be the issue.. But as a note never get the engine parts washed.. They dont need it. There wont be any grease or slime build up anywhere , So its best to leave it that way.
    if you're really concerned then a wet wipe should do it but never pour water into the engine compartment.. its not needed at all
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    If it's under warranty, just get it changed. I wouldn't want to comment on the quality of parts used by Fiat India as my 3 month old car is already getting the clutch assembly and power windows regulator replaced. Now the suspension / link road seems to be gone and the power steering assembly is likely to be changed as well. The Fiat Pros tell me that it's part of the teething trouble and almost everybody feels they've got a lemon initially, once these issues are sorted; they don't come back.
    It's a hoot to drive and they're replacing everything under warranty. Should I be complaining?
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Fiat warranty is the Mother of all warranties;)
    I think water spraying is not the issue. Do they keep it in such a place? May be moisture is the culprit?
    Can we keep some thing that absorb moisture near the ECU like that we use in computer?
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  6. Just my 2 cents.
    Knocking could be due to various reasons, if your problem is not solved after ECU change.
    Then look at
    1) Fuel quality in tank.
    2) MAF/EGR valve cleaning
    3) Try changing the better quality oil.

-Sat
  7. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If ECU can go wrong with cleaning the engine bay i humbly request FIAT india to make their car's engine bay water proof so that in future none of our brothers will have such problem if at all it happens due to water pouring in to the ecu compartment.

i have used accent for quite sometime and cleaned it thoroughly 100 a times and the day it was sold no such issuses.Many thanks for your valueable inputs..
  8. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Awaiting for the ecu to come.TASS has placed an order and am looking forward to have it soon.

Issues as of dates with ECU gone haywire is__

1.Most Irritating,knocking nosie(kad kad)
    2.Heavy vibrtaions.
    3.Engine too noisy when its reved hard.
    4.Mileage dropped down to 10 km/l.

found this link about a beemer's ecu gone kaput.

Need help - ECU failure?? in BMW 3 Series - Team-BHP
  9. Reason for change of 25+ parts is skill/knowledge issue with TASS , in my car shocks were changed 4 times but i am sure shocks were good all the time:)
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Which Tass is doing replacement - ABS or HIM?

Also, not sure from where you fill diesel. But just in case you refill from the BP outlet (on left while going to Jaipur) or HP outlet (on left while going to Delhi) near exit 9 on NH8, the fuel is adulterated. Please avoid these pumps. The BP petrol pump near Signature towers has better fuel
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.