1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ECU/ECM reset procedure ?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Nope Satchit. It's ECU factory mapping & only FIAT can do that. You can opt for remapping though as i have heard it being very costly. Though it's a wild guess but i think ECU's are given 3-4 different throttle maps with a default one to opt for based on driver's driving habits.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It is not FIAT specific. Every manufacturer the world over follows this , unless we are talking of super sportscars.

Cheers.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ENKI,
    Surely there might be some time span set(In KMS) for the parameters to behave as per the driving style.?
    other wise for suppose i have driven 200 KMS in 7 Days and other case 200 KMS in 1 day,so what should ECU accept here.?
    (May be out of box question)
    200 KMS in 7 days :- Boring driving style.
    200 KMS in 1 day:- aggressive driving style.

P.S:- Driving style,Engine performance ultimately Fuel efficiency
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Correct, With the same driving style, if car behaves peppier, it won't affect it's efficiency. Point is you are getting more acceleration with the same amount of throttle after resetting the ECU. What are the guidelines & timelines for ECU to change it's throttle map, i have no idea what so ever. Only people working at FIAT R&D would be authorized to comment on this. There could be lots of guidelines like service intervals & updates (??). Does it take any inputs from the service schedule fed into driver's display to unstrain the engine if service is close & due. Inputs from combustion process like engine is gasping for air, fuel quality (engine's ECU can sense the quality of fuel) or atmospheric temperatures. God knows what else? But resetting it obviously makes a noticeable difference.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    This is a very interesting topic.
    Now does this mean that I take my car to the highway remove the -ve and have a cup of coffee and breakfast and come back and drive fast , so does the remap now make my car go like it's on steroids?
    Does this happen always? If i take it back to the city will i still get that same feel?

If this is the case they why should one choose a full ECU remap by professionals?
    Reason I"m asking is because...
    I know my car has less low end torque in 2nd, 3rd gears , so to address it I can simple disconnect the terminal and reconnect it and drive hard and will i get that elusive torque data written onto my ECU?
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    ECUs have a self learning or self adapting mechanism. Disconnecting the battery erases the learnt data and takes you back to factory settings. As soon as you start driving again the ECU starts learning.

If you drive fast after reset for some duration after that you will feel your car is peppier. As soon as you again have a city drive it will learn accordingly.

Its a continuous process and resetting the ECU is only momentarily beneficial.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Right this was my exact concern/thought..
    Thanks for clarifying.

For a moment I thought there is no need to get my ECU remapped and pay up money.. :)
    ufff!!!
  8. I drove for 74kms in B2B traffic.today but still the car is peppier . problem is Tass used to disconnect my -ve terminal and connect back after the work and drive stright away so i think my car had learned some thing wrong values initially.
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Avoid Punto being in the bad company of TASS, they will obviously spoil her.
    A beauty with bad character is a nightmare:wow.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Nothing of that sort is going to happen buddy.

A marginal increase , yes. Anything drastic, no. That too for a limited time, unless you regularly drive the engine like a Grand Prix driver.

Cheers.