1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

ECU/ECM reset procedure ?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    To reset the ECU just disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 30mins.Then connect and idle for few minutes and then go for a long spin as if you've stolen the car!! This is to ensure your ECU gets the maximum reading cause it has been reset and now it has to store back all the values it lost.
  3. Even i thought so.but just trying to see if this makes sense, Gurjinder sir any comments?
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    everything is fine except way no 4. i.e tapping the positive for 3 times.

best way to reset is disconnect the battery for 30 min, any amateur can do this.
  5. Do we have ECU/ECM fuse? in Punto Linea?
  6. Italia-Linea

Pune
    yes we have, but will confirm when i check the fuse box again.
  7. What happend if we reset ECU and drive the car only in city at crawling speeds? Does ECU learn sluggish power and torque charecterstics?
  8. Italia-Linea

Pune
    ECU keeps logging continuously and keeps learning. so it doesnt matter. in city it will adapt to that characteristics and when you open up on highway again after few kms it adapts to those characteristics.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Disconnecting the terminal for 15-30 mins is fine. But along with that we must ensure the residual charge which remains in the ECU also gets out. This can be done by switching the ignition on, and turning on , say, the headlights. Now, since the terminal is already disconnected, there will not be any lights on the dash, nor will the headlights switch on, but this will ensure the Ecu is discharged completely, even of the residual charge which remains after the terminal is disconnected. Bear in mind, disconnect the terminal only when the engine is fully warmed up, because you'll be thrashing it instantly after 20 or so mins.

That said, the ecu will slowly come back to the state in which the car is driven most of the time.

This was quite popular with guys who do track days with their cars. They would reset the ecu at the track, and enjoy supposedly better performance for the day.

I've personally felt no need for this in the Linea. Around town it's happy with low revving and on the highway it pulls as sweetly as anything even past 3500+rpm.

Hope this makes sense.
    2 people like this.