1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ecstacy of owning a FIAT:: Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion July 2009

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by fiatlover, May 24, 2011.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    If anyone has complained about rattles from the doors and the TASS has fixed it, just check if this is how TASS fixed the rattle.
    Black cello tapes wound on the rear door locks
    Photo0038.jpg
    Photo0037.jpg

Door pads were opened and oil/grease was applied somewhere inside. After some time, the oil/grease melts and starts flowing down, making all the dust and dirt stick to the bottom portion of the front door. Also, the pin that locks the door pads has become loose now.
    Photo0040.jpg
    Photo0035.jpg
    Photo0036.jpg

They used brute force to open the door pads. You can see marks of screw driver or some other tool at the bottom portion of the front right door. Visible only if you kneel down and look upwards.
    Photo0034.jpg

All these were noticed after the last running service at Concorde.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Morons they are.

In my Linea's last service, they gave her few scratches on bumper and white paint dots on rear door and wheel arch.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    We take so much care for our cars and it is so sad to see our cars getting scratches and dents with some body else negligence. This is an integral part of work culture in any service centers in india, with few exceptions. I don't think they will even follow the prescribed torque specification while tightening the screws.
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Long due tyre rotation and wheel balancing was done at KHT motors last week. During 3rd free service and subsequent paid service, concorde people ruled against tyre roatation saying it would introdcuce sideward pull. Now, after doing tyre rotation and balancing, the car has become super smooth. There was a minor steering vibration at speeds above 110kmph... That is gone too. KHT has done a good job this time.

One more job is pending, as they could not diagnose the issue, and they thought it was resolved. Will be going to KHT sometime today or tomorrow.
    Issue is this: After running some 10-15 kms, if turn of the engine, the car wont start again. This is irrespective of whether I use any of the electrical devices or AC. I have to try 3-4 times to start the car again. And a series of error messages appear on the MID, such as EBD Failure, ABS failure, etc and sometimes the engine lock warnign light glows. When I attempt to crank, the fuel guage needle vibrates. Looks like the car is not getting sufficient power to start. I checked the battery from different places in Bangalore and Kerala, all of them said the battery is fine and is charging properly.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Disconnect battery and then connect. Check whether it appear again. ?
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I was going to say that the Battery might have become week, Bjut you said that the Battery is charging well,
    Just check with the new Battery, If its the same then you need to really diagnose the issue..
  7. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    All these symptoms are related to battery and you are bang on that the car is not getting sufficient power. Get the AC relay and other relays and fuses checked. Get the battery also checked eventhough its charging alright. If battery is good to go, then the issue can be with one of the relays or fuses.
    1 person likes this.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    My Punto is again at KHT to diagnose the hot-start problem. Again, it sems they need two days to diagnose and fix the issue. The last visit was on last Friday. They took whole of Friday and Saturday to resolve the issues.
    The issues I listed were these:
    • Battery not charging/power leakage while car is running. After running some 50 kms, car fails to start and MID display gets reset when attempting to crank. Car starts after making 4-5 attempts.
    • Brake fluid level goes down frequently. Needs to check for any leakage.
    • Minor exhaust leakage, some gasket seems to have gone.
    • Wash the car(Actually the SA asked me if I wanted a car wash. I thought it would be a good idea as I had 1500+ kms after last underbody wash.)

On saturday 12 PM, I checked with the SA if the car is ready. He said, the car is ready, you can come and take it. I went to KHT at 4 PM to take the car, and was surprised to see that wash was not done. He said it will take at least one and half hour to wash the car. I said I will get the wash done later, you deliver the car now, as tomorrow is sunday.
    Apart from the issues listed above, they had done tyre rotation and balancing,which was long pending, and they did a thorough job there. I do appreciate that.

The second and third issues were resolved to my satisfaction, though whether brake fluid issue is resolved or not will be known only after running some KMs. They thought the first issue also was resolved. But the issue started occuring again the next day itself. All they did was to connect to the FIAT Examiner, deleted all the error messages, did a test drive, and checked again in the Examiner. They were not able to reproduce the issue, and thought it was resolved.

Actually, while dropping the car for service, I had asked them to check the AC relay and alternator, and both these were NOT done even after keeping the car for two days at KHT. I expected them to check these at least to rule out possibilities. Mechanics who diagnose issues just by listening to the engine note is surely a thing of the past. But can we call one a mechanic, who wholly depends on the software detector to diagnose and resolve issues? Today, he was saying that the hot-start problem is a very complex issue and needs more time(2 days) to fix.

Waiting for the outcome, Fingers crossed!

Repeated visits to A.S.S within very short period is something I hate as a customer. This is one of the reasons why I prefered concorde. They used to fix issues within short time and fix it thoroughly. I have never left my car at Concorde for service for more than a day. But these days, as many of the good SAs are not with them anymore, my confidence level in them has decreased.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Indeed very bad service. I don't know when they will improve.

I need one clarification. How do you came to know that exhaust leak is there. By smell, noise or by performance change?
    How do you feel the change now? It will help me to diagnose the problem in my punto.

Just check which brake fluid they have used? I think now days they use different things than that mentioned in manual.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You can make it out easily from the noise. No big difference in performance. 1.4 is a normally so silent that sometimes it is difficult to make out whether the engine is running or not. There were times when I pressed the accelerator to check whether the engine is running. the exhaust leak was from the center pipe flange and caused because of a blown/damaged gasket. They put two gaskets in place of one and tightened the nuts properly. The car is now silent as it was before. When there is a leakage, there will be higher noise, especially in the first and second gear.
    You will have keep the engine started and then kneel down and feel the joints for any air/pressure leakage.
    I think there are are three places where leak can occur.
    1. Where catalytic converter joins the center pipe (the leak was here in my case. They put two gaskets here. Gasket costs just Rs.38/piece.)
    2. Immediately after this joint, you will notice a portion covered with steel mesh
    3. Under the boot where the center pipe and the rear piece joins.

For brake fluid, they use TVS-Girling which meets DOT 4 specification and meets FIAT standards.
    1 person likes this.