1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ecstacy of owning a FIAT:: Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion July 2009

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by fiatlover, May 24, 2011.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You said you will be driving mostly on NH which has less traffic (?). If you can maintain a constant speed of 60-80 kmph, you can get a max mileage of 16-17kmpl. I have seen 17 kmpl on Bangalore-mysore highway (150kms). I have observed that maintaining lesser speed in 5th gear doesnt help on the FE front. This is my experience, thare can be someone with a different experience/view.
    Though the car can easily touch speeds of 120-150+, do that only when you really need it, especially in the initial period.
    And, make it a paractice to open the bonnet once a week and check the fluid levels.

And it is my guarantee that other than the soaring petrol prices, nothing else will prick you!
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

i face the same problem.. on long use of windshield washer.. the rubber pipe tends to go loose.. i guess by now u know its not bcoz of opening the bonnet.. at least not in my case..
    the problem started after i gave my car for the initial check up at 5000km..
    the washer pipe comes came off a couple of times.. i used super glue to fix the problem..

new problem.. my rear washer is not working.. front is fine.. when i use the rear washer, water fall on the ground. i guess another lose pipe...
    correct me if i'm wrong!
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    After almost a year of follow up with the concorde guys, two emails to service@fiatindia (in aug'11 & Jan'12), and couple of posts on FiatIndia FB page, finally, the part has come. I am visiting concorde this weekend to get it fixed.
    When I first reported the issue, they had agreed to replace this under warranty, now the car is 2.5 years old and is now under extended warranty. The two efficient SAs who promised me to get this part replaced under warranty have left concorde and the job.
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Had planned for a running service today as my Punto has run 6000 kms after last service. When I reached Concorde today morning, I was suprised to hear that my booking was not registered in the system. However, they did a test drive and check ups and confirmed some of the issues I reported. An appointment booked for next thursday, as they need an entire day to address all the issues I raised.
    • Noise from the rear suspension while going over rough/bad roads
    • Rattling noise from the front left door when going at lesser speed
    • Hissing sound while braking, brake pads nearing life
    • Minor leak in the coolant system suspected
    • Battery showing signs of ageing
    • Replace glove box lid, broken for close to a year now. Had to get FIAT invloved to get the part
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    The Noise from the suspension when going on the rough roads was also faced by me, But did not take it to TASS as i did't wanna make any experiments on my punto, so took to my relative who has a garage, he said its the only issue with the Fiat cars, just take it to the local washer lift the car and spray the rear socks with diesel and then spray 1/2 liter on engine oil on both the springs. It worked dude, There was absolutely no noise after that.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    My Punto is back in action after resolving all the issues listed above.
    After 2.5 years, the OEM Exide battery is still running fine, charges properly. Coolant hoses have been replaced. Have run some 50 kms after the replacement, so far things look fine. Brake pads will last for another 4000kms, will have to check the state every 1000 kms. The ratttling from the rear and the noise from the left door have vanished for now.
    Was a little suprised when I turned the AC knob today morning. There was instant cooling! May be becuase the the filters have been cleaned, or does it have some thing to do with replaced hoses? Not too sure.
    @Tony: The noise from supension seems to have been because of the lack of lubrication. Thorough underbody cleaning and lubrication was one of the items in the list I gave. There is no noise as of now. Will monitor this closely for some more time.

Details of damage to pocket here: Running Service @ 21029 kms
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Need one information. How is your punto's noise while taking the vehicle in 1st and 2nd gear with all the windows closed? I am little bit confused with the kind of noise that I am getting. Not able to see whether it is normal noise or not. I am not feeling the smoothness. I would say it has little bit diesel like sound. What could be the reason for that roughness? clutch or fuel pump or spark plug problem?
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I never felt that the noise is on the higher side or that there is roughness. A growling/roaring kind of a noise comes in 1st and 2nd gear only when I accelerate to 2000-3000 RPM. But that was there from the beginning. Last time I went for service I specifically asked them to check for any specific unusual noise. There was nothing worth noting.

Did you try changing the petrol bunk? Do two full tanks from a COCO pump and check if there is any difference.
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks. I didn't change the pertrol bunk. You know it is very difficult to see a 1.4 engine and to compare the sound. I will go to the showroom and compare with a new 1.4 vehicle. Once I filled from ankola road side pump since I had no option. But cannot recollect whether the problem started from that day. I am going to have 900km drive for goa-mahabaleswar-goa. so let me see whether the engine get more smoothness.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Driving over a pothole, some damage to silencer, let down from concorde, and finally relief: see details here