1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ecstacy of owning a FIAT:: Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion July 2009

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by fiatlover, May 24, 2011.

1. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Regolare

Pune
    Thanks a lot fiatlover! good to know that's their no heaviness felt when ac is on!
    I will try to get the ac upgrade as soon as possible now.!
    Will update once done!

2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    A scary warning and then relief

During my recent trip to Kerala, we were driving through the ghat sections (Virajpet-Iritty) when we suddenly heard intermittent beeps followed by a flash on the MID "Insufficient brake fluid, don't proceed". We stopped the car at a safe place and checked for any leaks. I opened the bonnet and checked the brake oil level. It was low but not below the minimum mark. The nearest service center was at least 60 kms and getting any support from TATA or FIAT was almost impossible. We had just started the ghat sections and this warning message worried us a lot.

I called up Concorde motors and got Mr Khan, who gave us more possibilities/reasons to worry. He said it could even happen if there is any issue with the master/slave cylinder or if there is any issue with the electrical. He told us to continue the journey if visibly everything looked fine. The beep and the message were not continuous and was coming only intermittently when the car was handling curves at reasonably good speed. There was no impact on the braking efficiency.
    Our assumption was that the sensor was triggering the warning when the oil in the tank is going towards the one side at curves and turns. This proved right. At the nearest oil shop, we bought brake/clutch oil that meets the FIAT spec and topped up. The warning message never came up again!

The warning came a little too early, but it ensured that the car doesn't break down in unsafe places by reminding me of my duty sufficiently in advance.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Great features by FIAT, no other brand in this category have the feature of displaying the messages,
    Proud to own a FIAT
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    sometimes I think it is not the Bad ASS or niggles which prevents good sales for such an incredible product. but such intermittent messages which will scare the hell out of the owner!!!

kudos to Fiat for giving us such high end technology with full punch.
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It was really a scary situation. Until we made out that sensor was sending the message when the car in inclined towards the right, we were really worried. But better early than late.
    We had other reasons worry too. My four year old son was hungry and was crying. The nearest hotel was at the end of the ghat section, some 20 kms away, so wanted to reach there as soon as possible.
    FIAT is FIAT. Two years, 18000+ kms on good, mediocre, bad, and no roads. Zero issues so far. As an owner, what more should I ask for?
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Somewhere near Hunsur during our drive to Kerala.

at_hunsur.jpg
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    What's new: Time for additions/modifications :)

High security number plate: INR 800
    Door visor: INR 1100
    Floor Vinyl lamination: INR 700 (Dont know if this has got some other name)

I got all these done at Kerala during my recent trip. The last one in the list was something that I was planning to do for a long time. It is now very easy to clean the dust and dirt. Fixing it was a laborious job (not DIY). They removed all the seats, side pads etc.
    Will post pictures later today.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    PB200042.jpg
    PB200041.jpg
    PB200037_a.jpg
    What you see on the windscreen and bonnet is just reflection !

PB200038.jpg
    PB200039.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Some trip data from GPS. Garmin simply rocks!

gpsdata.jpg
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Methinks my brake pads are gone again. They started making noise (kr kr kr) when braking again since this morning . There is no deterioration in the braking efficiency, but the noise gives me a feeling that all is not well down there.
    They were replaced at 11k kms. Now I am just a few kms short of 20k. Is the life of brake pads so short? (Dont know if it has anything to do with my driving style-mostly sedate but sometimes aggressive ). Will get it checked tomorrow to see if it needs just cleaning or REPLACEMENT.