1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ecstacy of owning a FIAT:: Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion July 2009

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by fiatlover, May 24, 2011.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Met the 40000 milestone and also did the 5th year service, at KHT motors last week.
    -rear right shock absorber was leaking, replaced now
    -replaced PS and AC belts, which were not replaced last year.
    -replaced engine oil
    Labor costs mentioned are for AC cleaning, AC & PS belts replacement, shock absorber replacement, and paid service labor. Quite a huge amount

39999.jpg

40+.jpg

service_bill.jpg
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The recommendations in bill looks like a kind of anticipatory bail. If something failed soon after service, its is easy to ask "that time I told you no?"
    Though the sock absorber was replaced to resolve the noise issue, the noise never went. The SA firmly believed that the issue is resolved. And if at all the noise was because of the weak tie rod, the KHT, the main dealer in Bangalore didn't have a spare. The SA told me that he will inform me when it is available, which never happened. I was planning to take my Punto to Vecto, but due various problems at home and also due to lack of time, could not make it.

During my trip home, I decided to try a FASS in Kerala, and took it to KVR FIAT, Kannur. They identified the root cause for the noise and wheel wobble issue - the inner tie rod ball joint (RH) is gone and needs replacement. To add to this, the lower arm ball joint boot is torn, resulting in mud entering the ball joint. Felt a little bad that the boot alone cant be replaced. The lower arm itself needs to be replaced. Decided to replace both, along with brake discs and pads, for total bill of 10k.

No I feel that I replaced the rear shock absorber unnecessarily, spending around 4k.

Brake pads had almost completely worn out and started making marks on the discs. May be I could have used the discs for a few thousand kms more. I decided to replace both.

The drive now is super smooth, thanks also to the new swing arm.

Will post some pictures later today.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 13, 2014 ---
    What is replaced/repaired:
    -Tie rod
    -Right lower arm
    -Brake discs and pads
    -Tyre rotation & Alignment

Maintenance expense this year was a little higher.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    What is replaced?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 14, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 14, 2014 ---
    A few pictures of my five year old Punto

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    From now on, call it Five year young Punto. :)
    Saket Sidana and fiatlover like this.
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    That's the feel, every time I am behind the wheel. Specially so after the tie rod and swing arm replacement.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Latest service/repairs bill attached

kvr-sercice-bill.jpg
    Ravi likes this.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Some updates after a long time:

Just completed the scheduled service at Vecto motors yesterday. I had actually scheduled an appointment for this Friday with KHT Whitefield, but the break-down forced me to advance the hospitalization.

Break-down happened day before yesterday evening, when I was coming back from office. I heard the fan turning at full speed with high noise, followed by beeps, and then message on MID, stating "Engine over-heating, turn-off the engine immediately". The temperature needle was at H, which just meant something is seriously wrong. I moved the car to the side of the road and opened the bonnet. The coolant sump is empty, coolant is spilled all over the space between the engine and the battery. I suspected a burst hose. I called Vecto motors which is the closest to my location, who suggested that I call RSA. I called RSA, though my car was out of warranty and RSA subscription had expired. The guy who attended the phone gave me contact details of RSA's towing agency. I gave my locations details and condition of the car. They arrived in 45 minutes. The car was towed to Vecto motors. Time 7.30. Towing charges 1600/-

They started the work the next day, that is, yesterday and promised me to deliver the car by evening. Since I had just a month left for the scheduled service, I told them do the regular service as well. As promised, they delivered the car after addressing most issues by evening. Total bill came to 10600/-

Now, coming to what really caused coolant leakage, it was the Thermostat Valve that broke. Solution, replace the thermostat, costing around 1400. I was surprised to see that the part which is constantly exposed to high temperature had a plastic component, the valve itself. What a lack of thought? Luckily the new part has a metallic Valve.

Suggest members who own Puntos from older batch (mine is 2009), to check whether it is time to replace the Thermostat. Imagine a situation where the warning is not triggered and you continue to drive!

Also, I had asked them to replace the entire coolant hose that has multiple joints. Unfortunately, the part was not available at Vecto. They have to order it and might get it in a week's time.

The car is back on the road, sweet and smooth as always!
  8. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Good to know that your beauty is back on the track. And vecto FASS was able to do a good job too.
    fiatlover likes this.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    highlighted in the picture is the thermostat valve that broke.

thermostat.jpg
    Anand Shankar likes this.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Completed 6 years and 50000 kms. Nothing much to report these days apart from these milestones.

DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    karaka, GirishRaghu, Deepak and 2 others like this.