1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ecstacy of owning a FIAT:: Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion July 2009

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by fiatlover, May 24, 2011.

1. zudarpg

zudarpg Timido

Chennai
    Hi, I feel my car's performance is very poor when the AC is switchen on. I feel some strain in accelerating the car while AC on compared to normal conditions. Is that really a concern should i go to the service station guys or is it normal for all GP 1.4?
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There will be a marginal variation in power when you switch on the AC. If the performance is really bad when you switch on the AC, I think you should get the it checked.

I had experienced a certain level of deterioration in perfomance when I took my car for last check up. Post service, it works fine. They said it could be an issue with the "AC clutch", something which I am yet to understand what and how it works. During service, they cleaned the air filter and replaced the radiator hose, because of a minor leakage. Whatever be the reason, the AC is much better now and doesnt have much impact on performance.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  3. zudarpg

zudarpg Timido

Chennai
    Thanks for your reply. though i have mentioned as poor performance in my previous quote, sorry it is not that poor there is slight strain in the performance of the car and at the same time i am not able to enjoy the drive when AC is on. Car runs great without AC but what to do i'm not able to run the car in the city like chennai without AC.
    One more issue i note for the last one month that is car tyre pressure in theright side front wheel is always lesser by 7-8 psi comparaed to others. i checked this in the last two weeks time twice, should i check for any puncture if so where should i go? road side puncture shop? any professional tyre shops around OMR? Please help.
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There might be a minor puncture. Take it to a tyre shop to confirm.
  5. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    zudarpg, its hard to get the SA convinced that there is a light feeling of some fault and usual answer will be "Its your problem of feeling so".
    You would be lucky if the SA agrees that there is a fault indeed with something.

They will let you test some other vehicles and force you think everything is alright with your vehicle.
    I am facing almost the same problem as you, feeling vibrations on the whole body while AC is switched on and noticeable at idle.
    When i said i ve been driving this car for years and I know how my car behaves, the usual answer "You are noticing that now only".
    They don't understand and listen to people who love their cars and treat them as own family members.

May be lack of competence to think out of the box, than the usual checklists are making them give the usual answers.

OT. I drive barefoot (when i am not wearing shoes) and i can sense variations in power delivery, any sort of extra vibrations etc.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It's primarily due to lack of interest in the work they do. It requires a certain level of passion and commitment, not just the knowledge from the books. Many of the great mechanics never went to an engg college ot ITI to learn about automobiles. And still, they were a hundred times better than the trained ones.
    1 person likes this.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    One for the sake of numbers :)
    1234.png
    6 people like this.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Did a long drive after a long time...Destination homeland. Solo drive, almost nonstop, with just 5 minutes break in between. I wanted to check my car condition after the clutch, drive shaft, and engine mount replacement. All is fine as of now. Only problem is the clearing going down because of the wearing out tire. Other than that all is fine.
    Mysore road has become terrible with several newly placed speed breakers without warning. Went over couple of them after seeing too late to be slow, but managed without hitting the plate.
    Kms:370 kms
    Time taken: 7 hours
    Average speed 59kmph
    FE: 15.6 (wanted to each home early so didnt drive for the best FE. My be I will get a little above 17 if I drive sedately.)
    Max speed: 140kmph on ODO, 130kmph on GPS
    Road condition: Best, average , and mediocre roads
    Route: Kaikondrahalli (Sarjapur Road) > Hosa road > NICE Road> Bidadi> Hunsur> Periyapatna> Sidhapura> Ammathi > Virajpet > Iritty> Taliparamba> Payyanur
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    A video of the drive shot using the new windshield camera mount. Lost some quality when the video was rotated 180 degrees.

3 people like this.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    GPS data of the above trip

9165.jpg
    9537.jpg
    2 people like this.