1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ecstacy of owning a FIAT:: Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion July 2009

Discussion in 'Punto 1.4 Fire' started by fiatlover, May 24, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Cost is mainly on labor, fluids, and brake pads.
    Irrespective of how much the car runs, warranty requires that all fluids are replaced after 2 years.
    In my case coolant had to be replaced twice in two years. This time, there was some layer/dust formation (from the coolant itself, not external) in the coolant sump. I dont know why that happened. They say dust/layer formation is normal after a certain period and may harm the engine in the long run if not replaced.
    I havent seen this issue reported by anyone on the forum.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    But how did you diagnosed layer formation. Any symptoms?
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It was visible when I open the coolant sump cap under the bonnet. You can notice some pink colored dust/solid particles, probably from the dried coolant. Looks like it doesnt evaporate 100%, but instead, the residues remain there.

You wont notice anything unusual in the engine operlike over-heating or excess engine noise.
    1 person likes this.
  5. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

Even Our last year service of ZEN was 10k INR :eek:
    2 people like this.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Finally, the most feared day has come in the life of my punto after 3.5 years of trouble-free ownership. "To be towed to TASS" following a clutch issue.

towed.jpg

Gears just refused to slot when the engine is running. I am able to change gear when the engine is turned off. Trying to engage reverse gear makes a grating noise. The clutch pedal suddenly became too light. All symptoms exactly the same as reported in this thread.
    All these happened since today morning. All was fine when I parked the car yesterday night, and there was not even the slightest symptoms of any issues.

The techniciam thinks this is beacause of some issue with Clutch master cylinder. This is just an initial diagnosis, the exact issue will be known only tomorrow.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Very sad to hear that incident. Hope that it will be covered under warranty. Did it happen near home?
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Unfortunate. Did you avail the RSA? How did they handle this?
  9. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

Ohhh....Second Punto 1.4 BreakDown within 2 Months ( after Sungoa ) :mad:
    Hope , TASS will Handle, car Carefully !!:D
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yes, first symptoms appeared when I started the car today morning.
    I had to drop my son at school in the morning as he had a fancy dress competition. I started the car and attempted to slot 1st gear, it was a little hard, but I could shift. I was able to shift to 3rd, 4th and 5th without any difficulty. Dropped my son at school and when I started the car again I somehow felt it was better. I had to rush to office as I had a meeting at 10.30. I drove to office without much difficulty. At noon when started the car, I knew that it got much worse, 1st and reverse gears were really tough. At signals, I had to turn off the car, shift to first gear, start the car again and then move. All these times, I felt this could be because of low brake fluid level. I parked the car at home, went out purchased brake fluid of DOT4 spec and topped it up. But I couldnt notice any improvement. I called KHT service, spoke to bharat who gave FIAT helpline number, who again gave a tow vehicle no. The two vehicle guy said, he would charge 2500. Everything else would be known only after the car reaches SC. Unsure, I called Concorde. They connected me to Mr Venkitesh, who seems to be the brake down support guy at Concorde. He gave two options
    1. They can immediately arrange for a tow vehicle. Towing cost would be Rs.1800-2000
    2. Venkitesh would come and check the car, if required he will arrrange tow vehicle.
    I opted for the second. He came in half an hours time. After checking the master and slave cyliders, he said master cylinder is gone and that he can drive the vehicle to Concorde, but it is very risky as it is peak traffic time. He arranged the tow vehicle, which reached my apartment at around 8.00 pm. In half an hour, the car was ready to move with the tow vehicle. My punto reached SC at 9.30 pm.
    I hadnt subscribed to RSA. RSA facility was not available when I bought the car and I hadnt subscribed to it later. I am happy with the way concorde handled the situation. Unimpressed with KHT, they were like "if you get the car here, we will try to find out what needs to be done". I didnt feel that they were keen to help me.
    2 people like this.