1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

East By North-East - Added To My Linea's List!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, May 2, 2012.

1. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    But the hero is "Mr. J. Ravi and his FTA 1.4 Linea". Salute to your wife Sir, who has supported you and had been at your side always.

Very rightly said, Sir. This is what makes this country so unique.
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Bhutan Trip: Schedule & Driving Statistics At A Glance

To break the monotony, here is a quick glance of my Bhutan trip schedule and driving statistics:

DrivingStatistics.jpg
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    7 people like this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Guwahati To Kaziranga National Park

Departure: Ginger Hotels, Guwahati @ 9:30 am on 19 April 2012

Arrival: Wild Grass Lodge, Kaziranga National Park @ 1:30 pm on 19 April 2012

Distance covered and route: 217.6km; Guwahati>Nagaon>Kohora>Kaziranga

GuwahatiToKazirangaNP.jpg
    DSC06109.JPG
    DSC06110.JPG
    DSC06111.JPG
    DSC06112.JPG

Road condition: Guwahati to Kaziranga National Park by NH 37; Guwahati to Nagaon: 4 laning work in progress; Excellent Nagaon 4-lane bypass completed; Nagaon to Kaziranga: very good 2-lane road.

After sumptuous breakfast up to the brim, we left Ginger Hotels at 9:30 am to Kaziranga National Park. We stopped for a while at a view point en route where we had the first sighting of one-horned rhinos. My MapMyIndia navigator misguided me at Nagaon by trying to take inside the town instead of excellent 4-lane bypass. I ignored it and continued on the bypass, and then, on NH 37 reaching Wild Grass Lodge by 1:30 pm. I contacted Mr Manju Barua of Wild Grass Lodge through email more than a month back for reservation of our accommodation. I reminded him a few days before our departure from Bangalore. So, they were waiting for us at Wild Grass.

DSC06091.jpg
    DSC06092.jpg
    DSC06093.jpg
    DSC06096.jpg
    DSC06103.jpg
    DSC06104.jpg
    DSC06105.jpg
    DSC06106.jpg
    DSC06107.jpg
    DSC06108.jpg

More to come.
    7 people like this.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Kaziranga National Park

19 April 2012 [Thursday]

Exactly at 2 pm, guide Prakash came to me and introduced himself. He said that he was assigned for us and would take us to all the four ranges of Kaziranga National Park in the next two days comprising one elephant safari and 3 jeep safaris as already requested by me. He then introduced the driver Ali. He would take us in his MS Gypsy for all the 3 jeep safaris. Prakash had binoculars with which we could enjoy the sightings of the animals. I didn't have SLR camera with zoom lenses. So, whatever my Sony Cybershot DSC-T900 captured, I am presenting them here.

DSC06117.jpg
    DSC06118.jpg
    DSC06119.jpg
    DSC06120.jpg
    DSC06121.jpg
    DSC06124.jpg
    DSC06127.jpg
    DSC06129.jpg
    DSC06139.jpg
    DSC06144.jpg
    DSC06145.jpg
    DSC06147.jpg
    DSC06154.jpg
    DSC06157.jpg
    DSC06158.jpg

More to come.
    6 people like this.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Marvelous pictures. The bamboo plants taking me to childhoods. There used to be lot in our house. In wind they sing melodies. I am little furious to see the Linea under the bamboo since the chance of getting puncture is more.

So much greenery around even in April, so just cant imagine it after monsoon. The lodge is located in a lovely place.
    1 person likes this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, sungoa2010. Thank god, there was no puncture during the entire trip.:)
    I selected Wild Grass Lodge after going through the user reviews in tripadvisor.in.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Kaziranga National Park

19 April 2012 [Thursday]

Ali drove further into the grassland, where we came across many rhinos grazing. Every now and then, he used to stop his Gypsy, point his index finger a particular direction and advise me, 'Photo lelo, saab'. Prakash informed us that rhinos have excellent sense of hearing. Even a murmur in our Gypsy could be audible to a rhino far away from us! At one particular spot, Ali stopped his Gypsy and drew my attention to a solitary rhino, grazing far away from us. Then, he started mimicking like a rhino. That rhino stopped grazing looked at us! Then, it started moving towards us. At that point of time, Prakash urged Ali to start the Gypsy and drive fast. But, an experienced Ali did not listen to Prakash. He continued to mimic the rhino and provoked it. It came to the track. Immediately, Ali started the Gypsy and drove fast with the rhino chasing at us. Since we were seated at the back of the open Gypsy, we were really worried. But, Ali comforted us and really drove very fast on that jungle track. There was one more Gypsy following us. After hearing that, the rhino lost interest in pursuing us and went back to mind its business. We heaved a sigh of relief. I recollected 1962 John Wayne-starrer Hatari, in which, the rhinos used attack his jeep, when try to capture it! I asked Prakash and Ali, if they had watched that movie. Both replied in negative. I recommended that movie to them and advised them to watch it in DVD.

DSC06160.jpg
    DSC06162.jpg
    DSC06164.jpg
    DSC06165.jpg
    DSC06166.jpg
    DSC06167.jpg
    DSC06168.jpg
    DSC06170.jpg
    DSC06174.jpg
    DSC06175.jpg
    DSC06176.jpg
    DSC06179.jpg
    DSC06181.jpg
    DSC06185.jpg
    DSC06186.jpg

More to come.
    6 people like this.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Must be scary when rhino started chasing.
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Ravi Sir, The Rhino Chase is a unforgettable one of this travelogue. Oh! it was scary, like your Linea got trapped at knight during Ledakh and the innova driver came from nowhere to help. Here the second Gypsy had taken the role of that innova.
    I think we have seen the photo in which the Rhino(suddenly appeared) in your ownership thread. God we didn't know that time that there is a thrilling chasing story behind it.
    Any way thanks to Ali, whose mimicking has given us this entertainment and of course your mind of presence to capture those rare scenes for us.

If instead of Gypsy a A swift dezire would have made the Rhino to instantly fall in love with it.:D
    2 people like this.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Kaziranga National Park

19 April 2012 [Thursday]

We sighted many water buffaloes too in Kaziranga National Park's different ranges. I also noticed that many drivers and guides used to mimic rhinos to attract them! It was a standard practice at Kaziranga National Park, it seemed to me. Some photographs are really shaky as they were clicked when Ali was driving fast.

DSC06188.jpg
    DSC06189.jpg
    DSC06193.jpg
    DSC06194.jpg
    DSC06195.jpg
    DSC06196.jpg
    DSC06200.jpg
    DSC06202.jpg
    DSC06204.jpg
    DSC06205.jpg
    DSC06209.jpg
    DSC06214.jpg
    DSC06220.jpg
    DSC06229.jpg
    DSC06233.jpg

We returned to Wild Grass at 5 pm. Prakash informed us of the next day's programme: we should be ready at 4:45 am for the first-batch early morning elephant safari followed by breakfast and another jeep safari. After lunch, there would the third and final jeep safari in a different range. We decided to go in my Linea for the early morning elephant safari!:)

Wild Grass went out of the way to keep their guests in good humour and total comfort. For example, if we order for evening tea, we were treated with veg pakoras with tea! Similarly, if we order for one roti, we would be supplied with three rotis! We enjoyed the mouth-watering complimentary dinner. After the dinner, we were gently reminded of our next day's programme and whether we would like a wake-up call at 4:30 am with tea. We answered affirmative and it was noted down promptly!

More to come.