1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

East By North-East - Added To My Linea's List!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, May 2, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Yesterday I experienced Murphy's law. Just saw Ravi sir's post while about to leave office. Just wrote a quick response and thought that after going home will sit in front of my laptop to taste it bit by bit. After going home my UPS was not working, my broad band stopped due to network connection and my reliance netconnet was not recharged. Came office early just to go through the details. This is the magnetic effect of the travelogue of Raviji. :)
  2. Welcome back Ravi Sir. Am glued to this page for updates. As usual this will be one of the most interesting reads and a smack in the face who claim that Fiat cars are unreliable and all that.
    1 person likes this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Bangalore To Visakhapatnam

Departure: Bangalore, Basaveswara Nagar home @ 3:45 pm on 11 April 2012

Arrival: Hotel Supreme, Beach Road, Visakhapatnam @ 11:15 am on 12 April 2012

Distance covered and route: 1082.1 km; Bangalore>Chittoor>Tirupati>Naidupeta>Ongole>Guntur>Vijayawada>Rajahmundry>Visakhapatnam

BangaloreToVizagRoute.jpg

Road condition: Bangalore to Mulabagilu: Excellent 4-lane road [NH4]; Mulabagilu to Chittoor: Good 2-lane road [NH 4]; Chittoor to Naidupeta: Good 2-lane road [NH/SH]; Naidupeta to Visakhapatnam: Excellent 4-lane road [NH 16 - Old NH5]

Finally, the red-lettered day came. Myself, my wife and my Linea left our Bangalore home on 11 April 2012 @ 3:45 pm to Vizag. Why the departure at an odd time of 3:45 pm? I chose this time because I wanted to reach Hotel Supreme between 11 am and 12 noon the next day, in time for the check-in time of 12 noon!:) After crossing the K R Puram bridge, I was shocked to see the outside temperature recorded by my Linea as 38 deg C.

DSC05815.JPG

We had a brief halt at Kamat Upachar at Narasapura bypass for evening coffee and continued our journey. We had our dinner at Budhanam Toll Plaza after Naidupeta on NH 16 at about 9 pm comprising chappathies and potato side-dish, which my wife had packed in plenty which would also last for next day's breakfast!:)

DSC05818.jpg

My Linea had her tankful of petrol at HP COCO outlet at Kavali.

DSC05823.jpg
    DSC05820.jpg
    DSC05821.jpg

I continued my driving non-stop until we reached BP petrol pump at Rajahmundry, where again, my Linea had her tankful and we had our breakfast with the remaining chappathies. We had hot tea at a neighbourhood hotel and continued our journey to Hotel Supreme, Beach Road, Visakhapatnam. At Vizag, my MapMyIndia tried to take me on a 'no entry' road, but I over-ruled it and took an adjacent road, ultimately reaching our destination at 11:15 am well before the specified check-in time of 12 noon. We unloaded, unpacked and rested.

AfterCheckIn.jpg
    ActualDistanceDriven.jpg
    AvFE.jpg
    AvSpeed.jpg
    TripTime.jpg

We strolled on the beach road in the evening.

DSC05832.jpg
    DSC05830.jpg
    DSC05833.jpg
    DSC05837.jpg

More to come.
    9 people like this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Reaching at 11:28 AM, 30 minutes before check in, with an average speed of 62kmph, travelling 1082 kms in 17:17 hours is nothing but 100% determination and planning.We have learned our lesson #1.

Where do you came to know about the earthquake and Tsunami warning? I am surprised that there are lot of people in beaches even after the Tsunami alert.

The next day morning, after you left there was minor earthquake. Banglore was angry since the fabulous Linea was leaving her for some days.:)
    Giridhar and J Ravi like this.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I learned about the tremours just before we left our home. My children called from their offices and requested me to cancel our trip. But, I put my foot down [metaphorically and literally (on the accelerator!)] and continued my journey.:)
    2 people like this.
  6. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    once again,hats off to you, your wife and offcourse your linea sir!! lot of us only dream of such trips but you make them for real!! :clapping
    we see the world through your lens and learn a whole lot!! *RESPECT* :wow
    1 person likes this.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Visakhapatnam [Vizag]

In 1978, I watched Maro Charithra [Another History], a Telugu movie directed by K.Balachander, starring Kamal Hassan, which was later remade into Hindi as Ek Duuje Ke Liye, with the same director and hero. While the original was shot extensively in Vizag, the remake was picturised in Goa. Both the original and the remake were super-hits. After watching Maro Charithra, I always wanted to visit picturesque Vizag one day, which got fulfilled only on 12 April 2012!:)

DSC05840.jpg
    DSC05855.jpg
    DSC05854.jpg
    DSC05852.jpg

After exploring the Vizag Beach, we decided to have an early dinner and call it a day. So, we walked uphill for about a km or so, where we found two messes. On enquiry, we found Maa Inti Vindu [Our Homely Feast], a crowded vegetarian mess popular with the local folks. We ate a hearty meal comprising idlies, dosa and poori subjee washed down by tea, costing Rs 111 for two. We returned to our hotel and had well-earned sleep.

DSC05838.jpg
    DSC05932.jpg

We wanted to get up early in the morning so as to witness the sunrise. But, we got up very late, missed the sunrise, breakfasted and watched TV. We decided to check out the room by 12 noon, roam around Vizag city until 5 pm, and then, leave for Kolkata as our Kolkata hotel's check-in time was 10 am. The first place we selected was Kursura - Naval Submarine Museum on the Beach Road.

DSC05851.jpg
    DSC05924.jpg
    DSC05841.jpg
    DSC05842.jpg
    DSC05847.jpg
    DSC05864.jpg
    DSC05868.jpg
    DSC05925.jpg
    DSC05926.jpg

More to come.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    The 6th picture looks like a shot from K Balachandran's movie. It is so romantic and more conveying. "Shore is bounded by sea and sky, all three sharing unbounded love without intruding much in to others territory" A rare combination. Thanks for clicking those wonderful pictures.
    1 person likes this.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Inside Kursura Submarine Museum

To know the brief history of Kursura Submarine Museum, please visit Indian Navy's website. I learned that the curator and other staff of the museum are all retired personnel of Indian Navy. Hats off to Indian Navy for their people-friendly initiative.::T Here are some photographs clicked inside Kursura Submarine Museum [yes, camera is allowed inside for a fee apart from entry ticket].

DSC05869.jpg
    DSC05871.jpg
    DSC05872.jpg
    DSC05874.jpg
    DSC05875.jpg
    DSC05876.jpg
    DSC05890.jpg
    DSC05891.jpg
    DSC05893.jpg
    DSC05895.jpg
    DSC05897.jpg
    DSC05899.jpg
    DSC05901.jpg

To be continued.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Visakhapatnam To Kolkata

Departure: Kursura Submarine Museum, Visakhapatnam @ 2:51 pm on 13 April 2012

Arrival: Hotel Trimoorti, Ray Street, Kolkata @ 6:30 am on 14 April 2012

Distance covered and route: 875 km; Visakhapatnam>Srikakulam>Ichchapuram>Berhampur>Bhubaneshwar>Cuttack>Kolkata

VizagToCal.jpg
    DSC05947.JPG

Road condition: Excellent 4-lane NH 16 [Old NH 5] except for three railway level crossings and diversions through Rambha, Barkul & Balugaon in Odisha.

We checked out of Hotel Supreme, Vizag at 12 noon, lunched early at Maa Inti Vindu, drove to Kursura Submarine Museum, came to know that it opens only at 2 pm post-lunch, roamed around Beach Road and clicked some photographs. After visiting the Kursura Submarine Museum, my Linea had tankful at BP petrol pump at 2:50 pm. My original plan was to spend time in Vizag until 5 pm so that I would reach Kolkata by 10 pm, the next day to coincide with the check-in time of Hotel Trimoorti, Kolkata. But, the Nature had different plans for us. While cloming out of BP outlet, the sky opened out pouring cats and dogs. We decided to leave for Kolkata immediately. Suddenly, the cloudburst turned into hailstorm, anointing my Linea with tiny ice cubes continuously for about half-hour.:eek: I was worried, whether my Linea's windshield would be damaged by pouring hailstorm. But, nothing happened, we safely reached NH 16 and continued our journey towards Kolkata.

We entered Odisha without any issues. A sign board ['private cars to go this way'] guided me to drive on a wrong side of the road to circumvent hundreds of trucks parked awaiting clearance from the inter-state check-post.:) After crossing the Odisha check-post, my Linea entered BP COCO/Ghar Dhaba outlet [petrol costs Rs 65.30/litre] on LHS and had tankful. We dined here, comprising rotis and dal fry and continued our journey.

While entering Kolkata, after going over a pothole, my Linea started making loud noise from the front left wheel whenever going over rough, potholed section. I knew, my Linea needs treatment to her suspensions asap. My woes did not end here. My MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator misguided me and took us to an unknown road where there was no traces of Hotel Trimoorti upto the horizon. At that time, an old gentleman [Mr Rampuria] was driving out in his MS Swift from his apartment complex for his morning walk. When I asked for direction for Hotel Trimoorti, he said, he didn't know. But, he volunteered to help me. I requested him to proceed as I could ring up the hotel and ask for the directions. But, he brushed aside my suggestion and told me to follow him, which I did!:) He stopped by and enquired a few early birds, but none was aware of Hotel Trimoorti, which seemed to be a small lodge at a narrow lane. Then, I rang up the hotel and asked for direction. The first question I had to face was: 'Where are you now?' I gave my mobile to Mr Rampuria, he explained the exact location and listened to the man at the other end. Then, he declared, 'Now I know the place! Please follow me'. We reached the place at 6:30 am finally. I thanked him profusely. But, he confessed that he had a personal interest in knowing about the hotel so that he could suggest to his guests! He inspected the parking lot, enquired about the tariff and left. I parked my Linea at the narrow, congested passage, which served as parking lot for the hotel as well as apartments in the complex and checked into Hotel Trimoorti although time was 6:30 am only. But, the man at the reception did not object and immediately allotted a premium super-deluxe room as the deluxe room which we had reserved through MakeMyTrip.com was not vacant at that time. We unloaded, unpacked, enjoyed the complimentary breakfast comprising poori, subjee, tea and rested. That day happened to be the Bengali New Year Day [Boishokh]. In the evening, we roamed around posh Park Street, had our dinner at a premium restaurant, Gangaur at Russel Street, returned to our den and called it a day. The next day [Sunday], we visited Victoria Memorial & Museum, Birla Platnearium, lunched at a vegetarian restaurant near Maidan Metro Station, took a Metro ride to Kalighat, visited Kali temple from the outside as it was closed at that time and returned back to our hotel.

DSC05952.jpg
    DSC05954.jpg
    DSC05955.jpg
    DSC05956.jpg
    DSC05958.jpg
    DSC05959.jpg
    DSC05962.jpg
    DSC05964.jpg
    DSC05967.jpg
    DSC05972.jpg
    DSC05975.jpg
    DSC05977.jpg

More to come.
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
    rkperumala1, clash81, teky and 2 others like this.