1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

East By North-East - Added To My Linea's List!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, May 2, 2012.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Ten Super Likes! :)

I wanted to click Like at least 10 times, though I know it allows just one click.
    Congrats on completing this wonderful trip!
    1 person likes this.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    PREAMBLE

One spark is enough to ignite a raging wildfire. Well, in my case, two sparks ignited my urge to drive to Bhutan!:D

In May 2011, I received a DVD from fellow-TFI member and Linea owner, Mahesh Natarajan, containing travelogue of his Bhutan trip in his brand new Linea in 2010. In fact, his new Linea got the first servicing done enroute! But, since I was planning for my Leh expedition, I watched it on my laptop and kept it in the cupboard. In January 2012, I bought a new 40" LED TV and I was testing it with different DVDs. At that time, I saw Mahesh Natarajan's travelogue once again on a big screen. That was the first spark.

VizagSubmarineMuseum.jpg
    CalMetroStnMaidan.jpg
    MyLinea@GingerGuwahati.jpg
    Rhinos.jpg
    WildElephants@Kaziranga.jpg

A few days later, I received an unexpected telephone call from my former boss at my former employment, Mr A M Ranganath. We were not keeping in touch for a couple of years. He said that he called just for a casual chitchat. After the casual talks, he told me that of late, he was visiting national parks and the latest venue was Kaziranga. He described in detail about his experience at Kaziranga National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Centre. That was the second spark!

MawsmaiCaves@Cherrapunjee.jpg
    Ward'sPark@Shillong.jpg
    SittingBuddha@Thimphu.jpg
    StandingBuddha@Thimphu.jpg
    PuriJagannathTemple.jpg

Then, I started planning for another mega trip.

More to come.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
    9 people like this.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Whether it is a novel, movie, drama or any entertaining stuff, the most difficult parts are beginning and end. When it is from a author/director who had already made a super super hit in his previous attempt, the the difficulty level will exponentially increase. So after the Leh travelogue our expectation also climbed along with Ravi sir's Linea on top of the earth. So when Ravi sir announced his trip, the biggest question was how it will be starting and how it will be ending. So Ravi sir, as he does in his journey, surprised us with going ahead of our imagination, overcame that exponential difficulty level with his unique simple and elegant starting along with those heart catching pictures. We are fused with this thread and now waiting for another upliftment like the Leh experience. Thanks:up
    1 person likes this.
  4. Atlast .. :) these were the pics that I was waiting for .. Beautiful pics .. I am really surrpised .. Because when ever I travel to some place now only motiviation is that I can drive my car ... I hardly think about taking some photographs of places.. But here you are enjoying your driving and taking beautiful photographs ..Hmm I think that I should get more older to enjoy both ? :)

Super liked the pics Ravi Sir ..

Ajit
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Wow. Here comes the Stress Buster Ravi Ji.

From this morning, I am depressed to read the comments from members on various forums and threads on the SC Judgement on sunfilms and the new pact between Fiat and Tata. I decided not to reply in any thread, but still something was creating stress in my mind. But, finally when I saw your travelogue getting started, all my stress has now flown away. Thanks Ravi Ji for your timely action :D.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
    3 people like this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    PLANNING

Having decided on Bhutan and Kaziranga National Park, I started examining other destinations in and around these two places. The first place that came to my mind was Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh. I studied many travelogues in many websites. I realised that my Linea could not take me to Tawang due to snowy weather prevailing in April-May. So, Tawang was dropped from the list. Then came Sikkim. Visiting Nathu La and Old Silk Route in my Linea is always lingering in my mind. But, the stumbling block here was obtaining vehicle permit for my Linea to visit Nathu La. I sent emails to a couple of government authorities specifically asking them about the vehicle permit for my Linea. Within a couple of days, both responded negatively: I have to engage Sikkim-registered taxi from the approved travel agent to visit Nathu La. So, Sikkim is also out of my itinerary. I finally zeroed in on Shillong and Cherrapunjee.

I finalised the itinerary as Bangalore>Visakhapatnam>Kolkata>Guwahati>Kaziranga National Park>Shillong/Cherrapunjee>Phuentsholing, Bhutan>Thimphu, Bhutan>Punakha, Bhutan>Paro, Bhutan>Puri>Konark>Bangalore.

VizagBeach.jpg
    CalVictoriaMuseum.jpg
    BrahmaputraCruise.jpg

Having decided on the itinerary, the next important aspect was staying in all these places. I visited makemytrip.com and tripadvisor.in and read the users' reviews and decided on hotels/resort based on good reviews and my budget. I booked hotels/resort at Visakhapatnam, Kolkata, Guwahati, Kaziranga National Park and Shillong. From Bhutan onwards, I did not do advance reservation and kept it open-ended so as to have flexibility. Though I got the best rates through makemytrip.com, it came with a rider: they were all on non-refundable basis! So, before making the payments, I had gone through my itinerary many times. I set targets for myself and my Linea and decided to achieve them come what may. For example, I did not provide for any overnight stay between Kolkata and Guwahati knowing fully well about the bad road conditions in West Bengal.

OneMoreRhino.jpg
    EcoPark.jpg
    Evening@Ward'sLake.jpg

I got my MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator's map upgraded to the latest version 7.0 just a few weeks before the commencement of the trip. Based on the inputs given by fellow-members, I saved the routes till Jaigaon, West Bengal, beyond which my navigator will not work in Bhutan.

PunakhaMonastry.jpg
    KonarkWheel.jpg

My Linea did not require any special check-up/treatment as she is always in immaculate condition.

To be continued.
    12 people like this.
  7. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Wow Conquering Butan, Ravi Sir you are great!!! Hats Off to you, Your better half and off-course the ultimate driving machine Linea. I am glued to this thread for next couple of days.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Ravi sir, Thanks for those beautiful pictures. Is it possible to mention the name of the place. I know konark and could make few guesses like kaziranga and chirapunji.:)
    1 person likes this.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    The first three chapters are FIR, Preamble and Planning, something like trailers. The actual movie is yet to start! I shall give all the details when I come to those locations.:) Anyway, here are the locations of the photographs in my previous post from the top to the bottom respectively: Vizag Beach, Kolkata Victoria Museum, Guwahati Brahmaputra river cruise, Rhino in Kaziranga National Park, Eco Park @ Cherrapunjee, Evening @ Ward's Lake, Shillong, Punakha monastery and Konark.
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
    3 people like this.
  10. ninads123

ninads123

Nashik
    So I will be visiting TFI daily again thanks to Ravi Sir.
    1 person likes this.