1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

East By North-East - Added To My Linea's List!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, May 2, 2012.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You drove without halt?
    How was driving in night on those unknown road?
    1 person likes this.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Apart from one-hour sleep at Dalkhola BP COCO and some rest after Dalkhola, I didn't take any halt in between.
    No problem at all. Truckers gave company all along. In fact, more company than required, as they created traffic jams at many places. Bad roads and traffic jams were the reasons for so much of time to cover this distance. The last leg of the drive with the same distance took at least 5 hours less, thanks to excellent roads.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Covering 1500km is like starting from cochin going to goa and coming back to cochin without a halt. I can't think of it.
    It is interesting to see that people are using roof of bus to commute.
    1 person likes this.
  4. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    1500 kms with just 1 hr rest!! whattay!! :clap
    1 person likes this.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Puri/Konark, Odisha

30 April 2012 [Monday]

We got up late, had complimentary breakfast, watched TV for sometime, rested, lunched, again slept, got ready in the evening and went to Puri Jagannath Temple by an auto-rickshaw as I did not want to take my Linea to that congested place. Once inside the temple, we were pestered by many touts, pandas and pujaris. But, we steered away from these persons. When I turned down their offer, I was laughed at and made fun of, on my back. Such was their behaviour inside the temple premises. We felt very sad after our visit to that temple.:( We had our dinner at a nearby vegetarian restaurant called Hotel Grand, walked around the lanes of Puri, tasted rabri and returned to OTDC Panthanivas by auto-rickshaw.

DSC07503.jpg

DSC07509.jpg

DSC07511.jpg

DSC07517.jpg

DSC07522.jpg

1 May 2012 [Tuesday]

After complimentary breakfast, we checked out of OTDC Panthanivas and straightaway headed to the Sun Temple at Konark via Marine Drive. That was the third Marine Drive my Linea visited, the first two being in Mumbai and Kochi-Ernakulam [where it was only a walkway]. Konark Sun Temple is the second World Heritage Centre that we visited in this trip, the first being Kaziranga National Park.

DSC07528.jpg

DSC07539.jpg

DSC07543.jpg

DSC07545.jpg

DSC07547.jpg

DSC07548.jpg

DSC07550.jpg

DSC07552.jpg

DSC07555.jpg

DSC07556.jpg

DSC07559.jpg

DSC07565.jpg

DSC07566.jpg

DSC07567.jpg

DSC07569.jpg

The concluding part is yet to come.
    9 people like this.
  6. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    please dont conclude sir..we r so hooked to this thread that i feel u shld go on and on...:car
    1 person likes this.
  7. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Sir, I understand your feeling and I am really sad that you had to encounter such a thing. The situation is same at BENARAS/VARANASI, GAYA and some other religious places and you can't do anything.
    You are a great inspiration Sir, for so many others here and in other forums also. Covering 1500 KMs in one go is simple awesome and something that I can only dream off.
    Wish that your beautiful travelogue continues for some more time.

BTW - In post 145 you have written "Snowy Himalayan Peaks seen from Sikkim".
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    After hearing the bad experience at Puri I remember our bitter experiences. One of the godman asked us to pay a hefty amount and since we rejected they started cursing us. I told my wife if at all this has any effect that greedy person will receive it. It is sad to observe this decay in morality at temple premises.
    The sun temple photos are excellent.
    1 person likes this.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Konark To Bangalore

DSC07575.jpg

DSC07587.jpg

DSC07591.jpg

DSC07596.jpg

DSC07627.jpg

DSC07630.jpg

DSC07636.jpg

DSC07640.jpg

DSC07642.jpg

DSC07650.jpg

DSC07653.jpg

DSC07658.jpg

Deaparture: Konark at 11 am on 1 May 2012

Arrival: Home, sweet home at Bangalore at 2:55 pm on 2 May 2012

Distance covered and route taken: 1568.5 km; Konark>Ganjam>Ichchapuram>Srikakulam>Visakhapatnam>Rajahmundry>Vijayawada>Guntur>Ongole>Nellore>Naidupeta>Srikalahasti>Tiupati>Chittoor>Bangalore

KonarkToBangalore.jpg

DSC07673.JPG

DSC07674.JPG

DSC07675.JPG

DSC07676.JPG

Road condition: good SH from Konark to NH 5 with many speed-breakers; excellent 4 lane NH 5 upto Naidupeta; very good 2 lane road upto Mulabagilu; again, excellent 4 lane road upto Bangalore.

After visiting Konark Sun Temple, we started our homeward journey at 11 am. I drove via Pipili to reach GQ NH 5, from where it was an excellent road all the way to Naidupeta, except at three railway level crossings, passing through Balugaon, Barkul and Rambha in Orissa. Our first halt was at BP COCO & Ghar Dhaba outlet at Girisola for refuelling of our Linea and our lunch. We had had our dinner here during our onward journey. Crossing the inter-state border of Odisha and Andhra Pradesh was easily done. I continued my driving, while my wife enjoyed her afternoon siesta!:) The sun was scorching above our Linea, but we had a pleasant 22 deg C temperature inside. I drove continuously passing through Srikakulam and Vizag and stopped for our dinner and the next refuelling at BP COCO & Ghar Dhaba outlet at Yellamanchilli. After about an hour or so, I continued my driving passing through Rajahmundry and Vijayawada and stopped for the next refuelling at HP, Guntur bypass. I continued my driving for some more hours until I started feeling drowsy. After crossing Ongole, I stopped my Linea at a truck lay-bay area, had a power nap for about 45 minutes and continued my journey. Again I continued my driving crossing Nellore. When it was time for our morning ablutions and breakfast, I found one dysfunctional Reliance pump with functional restaurant after Nellore. After many days, we enjoyed full-fledged south Indian breakfast comprising steaming idlies, hot vadas and spicy pongal washed down by filter coffee!:) I didn't expect such a tasty and filling breakfast from that nondescript restaurant. The toilets were sparklingly clean. I experienced that if I go without any expectation, I would get a surprise; go with a lot of expectation and get disappointed! That's life.

DSC07662.jpg

My driving continued unabated. After Naidupeta, I took a right turn towards Srikalahasti, and then, to Tirupati. It was a very good 2 lane SH/NH all the way to Chittoor, where it joined NH 4. I continued my driving non-stop until BP COCO outlet at Bangarupalyam, where my Linea had her last refuelling in this trip. After wading through Bangalore's afternoon's traffic, we finally reached our home, sweet home, by 2:55 pm.:)

DSC07672.jpg

DSC07681.jpg

This trip started on 11 April 2012 and ended on 2 May 2012. This travelogue started on 2 May 2012 and ended on 24 May 2012!:) We enjoyed each and every minute and metre of this trip. There was never a dull moment. I Thank Team FIAT India for hosting this travelogue. My sincere thanks to all the moderators, members and countless unknown guests, who browsed, appreciated, complimented and commented in this travelogue. I sincerely thank my Linea for having taken us for a big ride of 7876 km in 22 days spanning across Bhutan and 7 states of India without any breakdown, not even a puncture! clap.gif I must thank my MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator for guiding me 95% of the time to correct places without any difficulty. grin.gif

The journey never ends. When one journey ends, another starts. So, it's time for planning for the next journey!

This travelogue is concluded; but the discussions never!
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    One of the most beautiful and engaging travelogue Ravi Ji. Sad that the travelogue has ended.

But,

This sentence of yours is very encouraging. :D.
    Waiting for the next surprise from you.
    1 person likes this.