1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

East By North-East - Added To My Linea's List!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, May 2, 2012.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    The oil level was exactly at the centre in between minimum and maximum mark. I poured about half litre of Selenia K so as to bring up the level to the maximum mark. After returning home, she consumed another half litre of engine oil.
    Indian tourists were found everywhere. Foreign tourists were very less compared to Indians.
    Bhutanese government is very strict about zoning laws governing location and architecture of the building. The maximum number of floors allowed was four, I believe. Even the facade should be as per the laws. Even sign boards are written in white letters on blue background for private establishments and yellow letters on red background for government offices.
    3 people like this.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thimphu, Bhutan

26 April 2012 [Thursday]

We got ready, breakfasted at the in-house restaurant of Hotel Singye and started walking towards the immigration office situated on the same road, but at the other end at a distance of about a km. We had to repeat the same process here for our entry permits for Punakha. The immigration office at Phuentsholing gave us permits valid for Paro and Thimphu only. This day was also rest day for my Linea. Another reason was, if I take my Linea out, I would not get parking slot in front of the hotel upto, say, 9:30 pm! As usual, I collected the forms, filled up and submitted with the photocopies and original passports. The lady at the counter verified and returned the original passports and asked us to come back after one hour and collect the permits. So, we did some window-shopping on that road. All the items were prohibitively costly in Bhutan, IMO.

1.jpg

After our window-shopping, we returned to the immigration office and collected the entry permits. Then, the next task was to get the route permit from RSTA, Thimphu, which was located about 2 km from the immigration office. So, I hailed a taxi and asked for his quote for Thimphu local sight-seeing plus visit to RSTA including waiting. I agreed for his quote of indian-rupee-symbol.gif 800. He took us to RSTA first. While we were minding our business, he waited patiently. I first met the concerned officer. He asked me to get photocopies of my Linea's documents+route/entry permits. I went out, got those photocopies and submitted to him. He took the original route permit issued by RSTA, Phuentsholing, asked me, 'Upto 30/4?', I said, yes, he scribbled 'Extended upto 30/4/2012 Thimphu to Punakha only at their own risk' and handed over the original route permit to me. Both the jobs done without any fees!:) Then, our local sight-seeing started.

DSC07111.jpg
    DSC07113.jpg
    DSC07132.jpg
    DSC07134.jpg
    DSC07136.jpg
    DSC07139.jpg
    DSC07140.jpg
    DSC07144.jpg
    DSC07145.jpg
    DSC07146.jpg
    DSC07147.jpg
    DSC07149.jpg

Takin - Bhutan's National Animal

DSC07155.jpg
    DSC07158.jpg
    DSC07162.jpg
    DSC07164.jpg

More to come.
    5 people like this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Beautiful. What car is seen commonly in Bhutan? (Brand and car). And what are cars that are seen in Bhutan?
    1 person likes this.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, Ramesh. Among the imported ones, Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, Hyundai Tucson and Hyundai Santa Fe share the top three slots. The population of these three imported SUVs = the population of indigenous MS Alto/Wagon R/Swift/Dzire and Hyundai Getz/i10! Strange, but true. Less said the better about FIAT. RSTA accountant got confused when I mentioned FIAT Linea. He did not know there existed a brand called FIAT.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Not really strange Ravi Ji. Many in India itself don't know that Fiat is selling cars here :D.
    1 person likes this.
  6. On the contrary, one of our Senior colleague from Hong Kong visited our Chennai office few months back. One day when we went out for Dinner, he was in my car and he was asking me on FIAT and asked me whether FIAT is the largest selling car in India! The reason being three of us in the team had FIAT's, a Linea MJD, a T-Jet and my Palio MJD. That was the impression we made. :)
    3 people like this.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I wrote strange but true with reference to the fact that high-end imported SUV's population was equal to that of Indian-made compacts/hatchbacks/sedans. Ignorance of FIAT brand is not strange in Bhutan, I agree.
    1 person likes this.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thimphu/Dochula, Bhutan

26 April 2012 [Thursday]

More photographs clicked during our Thimphu sight-seeing trip.

DSC07186.jpg
    DSC07189.jpg
    DSC07191.jpg
    DSC07193.jpg
    DSC07195.jpg
    DSC07196.jpg

27 April 2012 [Friday]

We got up early, got ready, breakfasted at Gahsel Hotel and drove in our Linea to Dochula. Finding the correct road to Dochula/Punakha was very painful in the absence of any road signages. I circled around the highway for more than half hour before getting on to the correct road after many enquiries. Bhutan was not driver-friendly in that way. Perhaps, Bhutan administration wants the tourists to engage taxis for sight-seeing rather than venturing in our own cars.:(

DSC07207.jpg
    DSC07208.jpg
    DSC07210.jpg
    DSC07213.jpg
    DSC07214.jpg
    DSC07220.jpg
    DSC07221.jpg
    DSC07223.jpg
    DSC07229.jpg

More to come.
    4 people like this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I can only say one thing, "Quietly Brilliant"
    1 person likes this.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Ravi sir, I am getting tempted to spent my retirement life in Bhutan.:D But only if I can see some Fiat cars on road.

The photos are excellent. The most of the time O have noticed the white and brownish orange(am I correct?) combination for buildings.
    How clean are the public places? Was MMI navigator helpful in Bhutan?
    1 person likes this.