1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

East By North-East - Added To My Linea's List!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, May 2, 2012.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Kaziranga National Park To Shillong

Departure: Wild Grass, Kaziranga National Park @ 8:45 am on 21 April 2012

Arrival: Hotel Lake View Inn, Shillong @ 3:30 pm on 21 April 2012

Distance covered and route: 290.2 km; Kohora>Nagaon>Shillong

KazirangaToShillong.jpg
    DSC06508.JPG
    DSC06509.JPG
    DSC06510.JPG
    DSC06511.JPG

Road condition: NH 37 from Kohora to Nagaon was very good 2-lane road with smooth tarmac; The Nagaon bypass of NH 37 was excellent 4 lane road; Road-widening was in progress in NH 37 in the remaining stretches and NH 40. NH 40 had the added attraction of plenty of truck traffic thanks to Meghalaya's mining industries.

____________________________​

We checked out of Wild Grass after sumptuous breakfast and settling their bill by cash. Prakash dropped in to bid farewell. I thanked him once again and left by 8:45 am. On the way, my Linea had tankful at NRL outlet.

DSC06491.jpg
    DSC06494.jpg
    DSC06495.jpg

At Nagaon bypass, extortion was in progress in two places. There were teenagers armed with sticks, seeking donations by stopping the passing vehicles. I did not pay at both the places and continued my journey.

DSC06497.jpg
    DSC06499.jpg
    DSC06502.jpg

Truck traffic greeted us after entering NH 40 all the way to Shillong. Traffic pile-up was common before entering Shillong due to narrow two lane road. We reached Hotel Lake View Inn at about 3:30 pm.

DSC06506.jpg

More to come.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is it 3.30 PM?
    1 person likes this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Oops. Sorry, Ravi. Kindly correct it to 3:30 pm. Please.
    1 person likes this.
  4. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    must be spelling mistake :p
    look at the travel time..6hr23mins..its 3 30 pm alright!! :grin:
    1 person likes this.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    How do you find the road sign boards in NE? Is there enough sign boards? Do they write in English also? Otherwise it is difficult for a stranger. There is lot of greenery on both side of the road even in summer.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    The signages in West Bengal, Assam and Meghalaya were very poor in roads other than the completed sections of 4 lane NH. English sign boards were rare. Since many sections were being widened, the existing signages were either uprooted or dislocated. Many times, I stopped and enquired in the absence of signages and to confirm my MMI navigator. Even during the ghostly hours, I sought guidance from the truckers!:) On the contrary, the signages in Bhutan were excellent thanks to maintenance of the road by BRO of India.
    1 person likes this.
  7. I am waiting for Bhutan pics ....
    1 person likes this.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Bhutan is still far away from Shillong!;) Thanks, Sat-Chit-ananda.
  9. Pardon my ignorance:)
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Shillong & Cherrapunjee

22 April 2012 [Sunday]

I selected Hotel Lake View Inn, Shillong, because of its secured car parking facility and proximity to Ward's Lake. It had very good reviews in MakeMyTrip.com too. But, I found the room very small and cramped. The wardrobe was not at all clean. I consoled myself that it had very clean toilet/bath, car parking with a watchman and the food was good. The complimentary breakfast buffet was delicious and made good for other short-comings of the room.:)

After breakfast, we left around 8:30 am for Cherrapunjee. The first port of call was IAF Headquarter Eastern Air Command Museum at the outskirts of Shillong. But, we were the early birds reaching there at 8:45 am itself, but the museum opened at 9:30 am only. I had to write my name and address details on a visitor's register and show a photo identity card, after which, we were allowed in. Photography was permitted within the museum.

1.jpg
    DSC06521.jpg
    DSC06522.jpg
    DSC06523.jpg
    DSC06524.jpg
    DSC06530.jpg
    DSC06531.jpg
    DSC06536.jpg
    DSC06537.jpg
    DSC06525.jpg
    DSC06526.jpg
    DSC06533.jpg