1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DTH Service in Mumbai

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ameysane, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ameysane

ameysane

Mumbai
    Finally I've ran out of time & I'll have to opt for a DTH

Options in Mumbai are I guess DishTV / Tata Sky / AirTel / Videocon

most of the people I know are on Tata Sky so I have no idea if DishTV & AirTel are any good.

Can anyone from Mumbai shed more light about their experience of the above said services?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    go for videocon..........it has highest no of HD channels for only rs 461 per month.......and also it give all sports channels.....
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Is the DTH services restricted to some cities only? I don't think so.
    You should have more options. Tata Sky, Dish TV, Airtel, Sun Direct, Videocon, etc.,
  4. ameysane

ameysane

Mumbai
    DTH service is not restricted in some cities,
    but the user experience can change with geographical location. That's why I said about Mumbai.
  5. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

I'm Using Tata Sky HD STB Last 2 Years and till Date Its Works Perfectly...No problem !!!
    and There service also Good , I replaced 2 times STB in warrenty ( FOr Minor Problems :-D )
    You Can Add /Drop Extraa channels ( Add on Channels ) just One click , by visiting Tata sky Website !!
    and You Can recharge STB with online Banking too ( I'm using Annual Pack ...So No needs to recharge it every month)
    But Be aware .....Tata sky Plan Little Expensive than Others but after sales service is top notch !!:cool:

I Hope This Will Help You !!
    1 person likes this.
  6. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Tata Sky used to be good some years back. Nowdays, they have just become very expensive and service not all that great. I've two connections - one SD and one HD since the last 3-5 years. Have experienced lot of service related issues (over charging, technician not turning up etc). Having said that, I feel my experience is still better than Dish TV users.

I recently happened to see Airtel DTH (though in Delhi) and was blown away. Amazing clarity, no frequent disruption of signal (as is the case with Tata Sky) and a lot many more channels at the same or lesser cost.

Do give that a serious thought.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    Hi Amey, I am using Airtel for last 5 years. I was an airtel employee that time and got their DTH service even before they launched. There is much more to DTH service than the number of channels.

1. Airtel uses the latest MPEG-4 encoding. I think Videocon and Reliance also have MPEG-4. Tata sky uses MPEG-2. What's the big deal here ? Well, nothing as far as end user is concerned. Problem is For the available bandwidth Tata sky can pump in half the number of channels than others. That means Tata sky has to lease higher number of transponders than others. That's the reason they will always be costly until they upgrade to MPEG-4.
    2. Quality of hardware. Airtel has the best hardware [set top box, remote, dish, LNBF (small mic like structure in front of the dish)]. Others uses cheap equipements from china.
    3. Size of the dish - Airtel has the largest diameter in terms of dish. How does it matter? It captures more signals than the smaller dish. So, when it rains heavily or during high solar activity days, the signal will last longer than others. Tata sky is the first to go off when it rains (because of higher bandwidth requirements for carrying MPEG-2)
    4. Airtel's customer care is amongst the best. Tata is equally good. I have heard dish tv has the worst customer service. No idea about Videocon.
    5. Airtel has programmable remote. You need only one remote to operate both TV and set top box. You can program main 5 keys of TV. I haven't touch my TV remote since last 2 years.
    6. Videocon has more number of HD channels and good HD clarity. But they uses some of their SD channels bandwidth to transmit HD signals. Hence, if you are using HD in videocon, you will see pathetic quality of SD channels. Airtel does not compromise on SD channels when using HD. Hence, quality of SD is also very good.
    7. Airtel is the costliest amongst all operators. But considering all of the above, I don't mind paying Rs. 50-80 extra for much much better experience.

Hope these helps.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. ameysane

ameysane

Mumbai
    It sure helps, thanks guys ! ! ! !

I'm running out of time only 2 days to finalize or my mom kills me if the TV goes dead....
  9. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi! Amey,

I have Incablenet/DEN given by the same cable guy and all my guys at home are happy with the reception. Both the connection charges/STB charges and monthly rental are the lowest.

Kiran
    1 person likes this.
  10. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    according to me go with Videocon......cheapest and best been using it for last 3 years....
    1 person likes this.