1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DSLR, Lens and accessories review and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ramjn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    I decided to go with Canon EOS 60D 18-55mm IS lens + Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD lens :) Total cost - 70k approx.
    Later sell 18-55 & buy 50mm prime lens.

Thanks Asimpleson, Ramesh, Rudresh, Livelyyoungman & all others who helped :)
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. Here is my first addition to my photography kit. The Soligor 28mm f2.8 Manual Vintage lens. The other lens I have is the Kit lens M.Zuiko Digital 12-50mm 3.5 - 6.3. Though I was aware that these vintage lens are not made for the current generation sensors particularly micro four third sensors, I went ahead and bought this for the sake of having a prime manual lens. I hate the electronic aperture control in the modern cameras. I wanted to give a try for the manual aperture control on the lens and I am loving that in this lens. Also the manual focus is a different feel altogether, very nice to use it when I have all the time to shoot and useless when I have to do a quick shot. May be I am yet to understand the art of manual focus. Coming to the Image quality, I would rate it 2.5 -3 out of 5. Not a sharp lens, might be because the M4/3 sensor is not a right combination for this lens or since the lens is old and has smudging and scratches on the glasses. But this lens produces some sort of interesting images especially when shot in Black and White. Also the colors it produces, though they are not real they are quite interesting. Conclusion is,this lens is to be used when I have all the patience and wanted to shoot pictures with some sort of special effects.

Here is the picture of the Lens
    Soligor1.jpg
    Soligor3.jpg
    Soligor2.jpg

Here are few Pic of my Son taken using this lens

wmkavin4.jpg
    wmkavin1.jpg
    wmkavin5.jpg
    wmkavin3.jpg
    wmkavin2.jpg
    Ravi, fiatlover, kirenh and 2 others like this.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys recently got Canon 1200D. I have EF S18-55 IS II and 55-250 IS II kit. My wife is interested in Macro photography. Have heard good reviews about Canon ef s60 f/2.8 macro usm lens for a beginner. Is it a worthy add on?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Good photos from a vintage lens like this. How did you find this glass and how is it priced these days in used lenses market.

I wished they had countinued on 4/3rds, micro 4/3rds has certain advantages and disadvantages alike but did'nt translate to cost saving even on their new lenses. A slight bigger sensor like the 4/3rd could have been better than carving out more sensor chips out of the wafers.

- - - Merged Post - - -

If she is interested in bugs and flower kind of macro photography best to go for Tamron F004(SP 90MM) F/2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Zoom Lense (for Canon DSLR)
    At 90mm focal length, it will offer comfortable space to operate from subjects like small animals and bugs etc. to work on without getting their attention.
    http://www.mysmartprice.com/camera/tamron-f004-sp-90mm--f-2.8-di-vc-usd-1-1-macro-zoom-lense--for-canon-dslr-msf50403.

There is a also the option of buying a cheap manual lens and a reverse ring adapter for that lens to be mounted reverse. That is a cheap substitute for learning the basics of macro/super macro photography. Except all the controls will be manual and make it a bit more challenging to get macro shots.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Thanks asim. I got this lens for 3k including the adapter.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Pretty sweet deal. This one was possibly designed by Tokina, Japan I suppose.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    dv-506._vox-30-mega-pixel-digital-camera-with-single-lens-reflex-dv-506.jpg

This is a good (or maybe not so good) DLSR that could be used for props. for TV, Film production if the flash works.
    Also could be nice for the kid who keeps playing with his dad's professional grade camera.. :wink:
    The best part is the price @ Rs. 2699/- + shipping per piece.

Buy Vox 30 Mega Pixel Digital Camera With Single Lens Reflex Dv-506 Online | Best Prices in India: Rediff Shopping
    Stumbled upon this link. Thought it would be fun to know hence sharing..! :cool
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    dv-506._vox-30-mega-pixel-digital-camera-with-single-lens-reflex-dv-506.jpg

This is a good (or maybe not so good) DLSR that could be used for props. for TV, Film production if the flash works.
    Also could be nice for the kid who keeps playing with his dad's professional grade camera.. :wink:
    The best part is the price @ Rs. 2699/- + shipping per piece.

Buy Vox 30 Mega Pixel Digital Camera With Single Lens Reflex Dv-506 Online | Best Prices in India: Rediff Shopping
    Stumbled upon this link. Thought it would be fun to know hence sharing..! :cool
  9. DOT

DOT Timido

Bangalore
    I use Nikon D3100 camera, and 18-105mm lens. Now thinking to buy a prime lens, Nikon 35mm one.

I read reviews that 35mm is good lens, but question I have is, isn't 18-105mm will already have covered this range, then when to use this prime lens?
  10. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    Out of many benefits of using a prime lens few are

1. Sharper
    2. Lighter
    3. Wider f-stops

You will notice the quality of the images immediately if you use prime lens over Zoom lens for a particular focal length. Shoot Raw.
    DOT likes this.