1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DSLR, Lens and accessories review and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ramjn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That's a very compelling argument made for the Sony A65. But like I said, the specs as far as still photos are concerned are tilting more towards Canon 60D. The cross type sensors for this kind of money is what I would want. Along with the benefit of lots of extra shots with battery life, a nice pentaprism viewfinder. The OLED or electronic viewfinder is also nice on Sony, but that as the author says is very debateable point and I agree. Most professional photographers would still prefer the pentaprism, which is a fact. Live histograms is not a feature most of us would use, unless I think if we are into selling images for a living. Again live histogram can be seen on the camera display TFT and one need not always have it in the viewfinder.

I still think lens and body combinations are much better on Canon. By the way I am not a Canon or Nikon fanboy. If found in reasonable price (like in US) I will go with a Pentax like the K-5IIs. (a hugely underrated brand with some best camera hardware)

When you buy a camera you also buy a lens system for it. Sooner or later if the body develops problem or you are willing to upgrade or sell and get max. value for your entire photogear, Canon and Nikon will be a better choice. Should you want to keep some of it and upgrade to more lenses and better bodies, the Nikon and Canon will again be a better choice. The idea is to retain the lenses forever or upgrade them only when needed or if better lenses are available in deals.
    1 person likes this.
  2. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    My suggestion here will be go with a semi pro body, not a entry level body. I found the physical buttons and top LCD immensely helpful when I am shooting people or wedding or simple street photography where lighting condition changes rapidly, I dont want to change the setting from menu and miss the moment for it. If you are more towards landscape then these things may not matter, but investing on a tripod will be required.

Regarding system, I would suggest hold both the camera, get used to their software menu and ergonimics. Both Canon and Nikon are great and one cannot simply choose over another based on glass or body. For me it went down to hold, grip, ease to the menus and love of the brand. You cant go wrong with either of them. Sony or other system have some limitations in India, be it service, resale, or availablity of glass. Unless you are enthusiastic about a brand then suggestion will be on Nikon/Canon. Its just not P&S cam but a system that you are investing on.

Lastly, these all reports DXO or DPreview can guide you great to detail, but unless you are in super pro level, difference between one over other that they point out may not relevant on day to day basis. Results will be slightly different from one to another depending on their image processing and if you Shoot RAW, all are in your hand. Ultimately photographer is the artist, camera is just a tool.

Good Luck.
    1 person likes this.
  3. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    I agree completely with the points mentioned by you. More than the extra features offered, I think I must look into it as a whole system. As you said if Im going for Canon or Nikon, future upgrades will be easy & selling value will be high too. Also I found that Sony has a tendency to stop products very often. Even A65 is stopped now. That'll be an issue I think.

If Im ready to compromise on some features like auto focusing while taking video, in built image stabilization, faster fps& GPS, I think Canon is the one to go for. If Im right I can solve the image stabilization issue by buying lenses which has IS capability. And ultimately videography is not the ultimate purpose of a DSLR. So Im leaning towards Canon.

- - - Merged Post - - -

As you said I'll be considering it as a system which Im investing. In that case Canons or Nikons are the one to go for. Understood that completely :)
    And yes, I heard Sony's service is not up to the mark in India.

A silly doubt. Can we solve the issue of not having image stabilization in the lens with the help of using a tripod??
  4. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    The Canon lens have Image stabilization (IS), or VR(Vibration Reduction- Nikon) in lens and If you shooting with open aperture, you should be fine. I don't think tripod is necessary other than Landscape. Tripod is for longer shutter speed to take care of camera shake and no amount of IS or VR or In-body Image stabilization can take are that unless your hands are rock steady. :)
    1 person likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes you can. It is again situation specific. In a wedding or party for example if people are relatively stable in a particular position, at the tele-end a steady hand can do the job as good as the tripod. But for a birding shot esp. at 200-300mm onwards you may find the shake too much for a camera to compensate with in-built camera alogrithms for image processing. The blur will show-up on the picture. If razor sharp image is what is wanted, the tripod or monopod will help in these situations.

Also for moving objects you have tracking focus selection mode, where 9-point-cross-sensor points help tremendously tracking and adjusting focus very rapidly. The object in focus will be in clear focus vs the background detail which is unwanted.

- - - Merged Post - - -

This is why I like a Pentax. They always offer in-body sensor shake reduction. A great feature to have for telephoto situations or long exposures as you said. :D
    1 person likes this.
  6. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Does all the Canon lens have IS feature?? Or it'll be there in higher priced models only?

- - - Merged Post - - -

If so is there any advantage in buying Tamaron 18-200mm without image stabilization?? If there will be shake in telezoom, then what is the advantage of having a lens with such high focal length?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Based on the studies here is what I summed up. Which of the 3 options will be good?

1. Canon 60D with 18-135mm IS Lens - Rs.65000

2. Canon 60D with 18-200,, IS lens - Rs.81500

3. Canon 60D with 18-55mm IS + Tamaron 18-200 - Rs.60855

I know option 2 is pricey. I have a feeling that option 1, with 18-135mm will be a better choice as it has image stabilization & will be a good walkaround lens. Am I right? Is that the one to go for?? May be later I can add a 70-300mm lens. How does that sound?
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  7. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    1 person likes this.
  8. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Thank you. I'll check it :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ramesh...Im awaiting your 'If I were you' comment.. Leave the cam, as you are not much aware of Canon, which of the above mentioned lens would you prefer?

And yes, I'll definitely buy a 30 or 50mm prime lens. Having gone through the details of different type of lenses, I came to know that a good prime lens is a must!
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I mentioned problem of IS can be between 200mm-300mm. I have seen photographers comfortable at 300mm also. One person in my circle uses a Sigma 150-500mm handheld, in emergency situations and uses burst mode, just to made sure he gets great bird pics at 500mm (approx 750mm on APS-C Dslrs). Having said that you might want to play safe with an IS lens. And if that is your choice then here is another piece that comes to your rescue.
    Tamron B008E 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD: Amazon.in: Electronics
    tamron.jpg

+

http://www.amazon.in/Canon-In-Built...68&sr=8-1&keywords=canon ef 50mm f/18 ii lens
    50mm F1.8.jpg

Leave all the above options :D
    A different idea, go for Canon 60D with 18-55 Kit lens, exchange kit lens with 50mm F1.8 Canon, and buy the Tamron VC (IS) 18-270 lens that will give good telephoto and anti-shake and AF capabilities. You can have two wonderful lenses and still stay at around 70K budget.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  10. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Seems to be a good option. I'll get the quotes & decide :)