1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DSLR, Lens and accessories review and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ramjn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I just researched a bit around and found that Canon 60D + kit lens 18-55 + 8gb card and is available at 48000/- approx. which makes it a much better deal with the weather seal and flip screen etc. Flip screen is not much of a thing but some prefer it for odd camera placements while shooting.

Nikon D7000 cost Rs. 10000/- more at approx 58000/- but has an 18-105mm lens that offers certain zoom advantage. I am sure local dealers can offer much better discounts on these deals. Best to buy a box packed and sealed item if a dealer can provide fresh stock.

- - - Merged Post - - -

@Kailash,

F-stops are ability to capture more light. Faster Aperture speeds. Meaning less need of flash and more photography in natural light. F1.8 captures more light than F2.8 and so on. It also allows faster shutter speeds.
    Prime lens mean one which cannot be zoomed. 28mm fixed or 35mm or 50mm or 80 or 100 and so forth. Prime lenses come with better F-stop numbers (faster lenses)
    Wide lens means at 18mm if say 10 people can be accomodated in a frame at 12mm you could accomodate say 20 people or more. And inversely this applies to telephoto. As the depth increases the distance covered increases, but the Field of View Diminishes. More later.
    1 person likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Aperture is the amount of light that you allow into the camera's sensor.
    Shutter speed is the duration of light you allow into the camera's sensor.

In layman's term, if you open your eyes as wide as you can means wide aperture and is measured in F stops. Smaller the F stop wider the aperture.
    1 person likes this.
  3. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Comparisons shows that D7000 is better than 60D. I'll do a detailed study about both the cams. But price wise 60D is competing with D5200 & snapsort says D5200 is the winner.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Simpleson & Ramesh...Thanks for the info :)
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If possible please go through my post here. Hope it helps you in your decision making.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/photography/11750-gyaan-needed.html

EDIT : If you are the savvy type best to avoid Nikon 5200 or 5100 etc. I can explain later my reservations for the lower range of Nikons and Canons, but it can be too much detail too soon.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    This is what I got.

60D Body Only - Rs.46000
    60 D with 18-55mm - Rs.48000
    So its better to buy with kit lens right?

D7000 Body only - Rs.50000
    D7000 with 18-105 - Rs.57000

- - - Merged Post - - -

Got a rough idea. I wont be going for 5200. Better I'll do a detailed study about 60D & D7000 before deciding.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes better go for 60D with kit lens. I wouldn't mind telling you to go for Nikon if only they had priced it sensibly.
  7. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Comparisons shows that Nikon D7000 is slightly better than 60D. but I would prefer buying Canon 60D as my previous buying experience with Nikon wasn't good & also the price is higher for D7000. Somehow I have an interest towards Canon brand.

Was going through the price lists again. Here are 2 options I found.

Canon 60D with 18-55mm - Rs.48000
    Canon 60D with 18-135mm - Rs.63000

My mind says to go with 2nd option, ie: 18-135 because I don't have to think about buying lenses until I get familiar about the cam & photography. What say??
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Tamron and Sigma and Tokina also produce some very good lenses for Canon and Nikon. But my preference would be Tokina, Tamron, and then Sigma. The Canon 18-135mm is very expensive indeed. Why, I can't figure. Maybe due to better IS (image stabilization) hardware. Photographic quality will depend on the glass and optics used along with internal elements and glass. You can go to flickr to see test results of various lenses and compare for yourself. Cromatic abberation etc. are very low since most glass manufacturers use similar technology. Canon L-series is the leader and an L series lens also means top of the line.

Buy the kit lens - 18-55mm and trade it in for a Tamron 18-200 glass. You will get yourself a deal at approx 52-54k/- after swapping kit lens for this.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/tamron-a14-af-18200mm-f3563/142794

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Tamron AF 18-200 mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD &sort=relevance

http://www.snapdeal.com/products/cameras-lenses
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    This seems to be a good deal as it cover 18-200mm so that it can be very useful while traveling :)
  10. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Canon 60D vs Sony A65

While doing a comparative study, I found Sony A65 equally interesting as Canon 60D. Here is something I came across in a forum.
    (Written by some unknown guy)

Ok here are the pros and cons. First lets look at the image sensors, the heart and the most important part of the camera. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras...

for low light, the Sony A65 scores 717, the Canon 813. Advantage Canon, but it's a small one, probably not noticeable to most eyes.

The Sony scores higher in color and has a huge advantage in dynamic range. The overall score of the Sony is 74, the 60D 66. Significant but not huge.

Lens selection, for new lenses, it's Canon by a mile, along with accessories to go with your camera. It's huge advantage for Canon if you are a working pro or a enthusiast that plans on big spending.

For the casual dSLR owner, it means nothing, why? most dSLR owners will only ever own between 1-3 lenses, maybe a bag, extra battery and memory card. All things that any camera owner of any system will do just fine.

Both bodies are 'pro-sumer' type cameras. The Canon 20D, 30, 40 were all more serious enthusiast or semi pro with mag alloy bodies and such, but with the 60D they went back. The A65 is roughly the same, so they are kind of a draw.

Anti shake. Sony is in the body (the image sensor) the Canon does this in the lens, but only certain lenses. Every lens attached to a Sony alpha is anti shake including primes. The Canon is only certain lenses. And don't bother looking for a 50mm Canon that's anti shake, you won't find one, or a 85mm, 100mm etc.

Advantage Sony, but Canon fanboys will tell you that in lens is better. So figure that one out for yourself.

Video. I'll just get right to it, the Sony crushes Nikon and Canon. You can shoot with manual focus if you want on the Sony, or use fast phase auto focus to stay on track with pets, fast moving kids or sports, and you can shoot full 1080p HD at 60fps. The Sony has smart object tracking and face recognition. Ignore anyone telling you that real filmmakers don't use autofocus, you aren't a big time movie director, so don't worry about it.

Some Canon and Nikon dSLRs can't even AF when shooting video, the ones that can use slow contrast detection.

Viewfinders, I don't give this to either system. The Canon uses a traditional optical viewfinder, the Sony uses a world first OLED viewfinder. The Canon is what you see is what you get. It works fine, and it gets the job done. The Sony can display info, show a digital level, and show you in real time the effects of white balance or exposure, you can even see the shot you just took right in the viewfinder.

On the downside, the OLED viewfinder can show noise in low light, or high contrast situations, and some people feel like they are disconnected using a little OLED screen and not a traditional optical viewfinder. You'll need to see for yourself. I lean toward the OLED, but not in a big way.

Next up, shooting speed. The Sony crushes again. Now, this won't make you a better photographer, but it's nice to have the option of shooting 10 fps at full resolution if you want. If you want that kind of speed from Canon, be ready to spend thousands of dollars.

So bottom line because you asked, if forced between the 60D or A65, I'd go with the Sony A65.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Comparisons

http://kiyas.la/en/digital-camera/compare/Canon-EOS-60D-vs-Sony-SLT-A65

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Sony-A65