1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DSLR, Lens and accessories review and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ramjn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Both these lenses are kind of OK lenses. They are typical for any generic photography. Also, the N5200 is an entry level camera.

My personal suggestion would be start off with a mid range camera and a good range of lenses.

Our friend @asimpleson has summed up very well.

@Kailas let me know if you are scouting for one camera. I can put you to a guy in Chennai who can give you at a better pricing.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sony is very good but underrated. A58 is awesome camera. If I were you, I won't buy it as kit and get only the body and buy a nice prime lens (35 or 50mm) and play with it for 3-6 months and then slowly add more lenses. :)
    2 people like this.
  3. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Ramesh, A58 is good but Sony is bad in service. Canon is better in that area. Also, for Chennai folks Ellis Road people can help you out in case of any out of warranty stuffs. Contacts is the key for this which I feel can be addressed.
    1 person likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Finding deals for Sony can be tough. Altough they are serious and these cameras offer feature rich options, the lenses department of Sony can be a challenge. They are front runners in compact mirrorless interchangeable cameras though.

Actually, if money permits a kit lens is good. Buying seperate may turn out to be a hassle and a bit expensive also.

If he is serious about still photography, best to stick to Canon or Nikon. But there aren't any deals on Nikon for now in the prosumer range.

The Canon 60D offers better package with greater value for money. Canon 70D might be a tad too expensive.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Agreed, faster FPS for stills is another area where Canon and Nikons excel. Canon is the king as far as lenses and lens technology goes, with Nikon a very close second.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I would say don't get too confused on the brand. Canon or Nikon or Sony. Buy whichever you like. At the end of the day the person behind the camera is responsible for better pictures rather than the camera or its brand.
    1 person likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Correct Bottomline, Ramjn.

Just that hardware choice can be tricky. And again being future proof can be a bit tougher in our country. That's all.

It's about betting money on the hardware. Not to say which will seriously compromise or anything. All things come with pros and cons which have been discussed as well.
    1 person likes this.
  7. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    I won't mind investing if I get serious about photography. After all its an art which is gonna help you throughout your life. From your points I think its better to buy a mid range camera at first itself rather than buying an entry level cam & later upgrading it in a year or so. Frankly speaking I don't know much about the lenses,f1.8 or f2.8 etc. So its so confusing for me to select a brand, a model. I think I must blindly stick on to some expert advice from you guys.

I think I'll plan with 2 budgets. One an entry level & a mid range.
    I'll keep Canon 60D & Sony A58 as a standards & compare cameras in the similar price range.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Youngman...Are you serious?? :eek: If so that alone is a reason to drop sony.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes even I felt its underrated. If Im right you won't get A58 with body only. Only from A65 they sell like that. My knowledge about lenses are absolute zero. I just know 18-55, 55-200, 18-135. :(
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You can still get it. There are dealers in Chennai who can give you the body alone and sell the lenses to other customers.

If you need a mid-range, I recommend D7000 for you. I have absolutely no idea about Canon models. I leave it to others here. :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Whatever camera I buy, is it better to buy body & lens separately or chose from the kit options provided by the company.

I think if Im going for mid range, I should select between Canon 60D & Nikon D7000 right??
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    D7100 is available now but that is damn expensive. There is no much difference between D7100 and D7000 to demand that price. You can very well go for D7000 if you decide it to be Nikon. You can get the body for 40-45k in Chennai.
    1 person likes this.