1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DSLR, Lens and accessories review and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ramjn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  2. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    After a comparative study between Canon 600D & Sony A58, I decided to go with Sony A58. I tested both the cams & I liked the image stabilization, auto focus in video, electronic viewfinder, faster fps & lowlight photography features in Sony.

Now Im confused with the lenses. Sony is selling 3 kits.

1. A58 with 18-55mm lens - Rs.33000 approx
    2. A58 with 18-55 & 55-200mm lenses - Rs.42000 approx.
    3. A58 with 18-135mm - Rs.44000 approx

Im confused whether to go with option number 2 or 3. From reviews I came to know that for a beginner like me its advised to go with 18-135mm as you don't need to swap lenses often. Will it be a good decision to go with option 3??
  3. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Why do you want to go with Sony now? It is better to stick on with Canon. Also why 600D. Go with 70D as it is prosumer and not consumer. Innumerable benefits are there when you get one such a camera.
    1 person likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The reviews are misguiding. DSLR lenses are meant to be used for swapping lenses. Go for option 2. You won't regret. The cost of option 3 is that the lens is IS that helps in telephoto mode. But 135mm is hardly 'telephoto' in the true sense. At 200mm you can atleast manage a few birding shots and can work as a carry around lens on travels. 18-55mm is a general wide to portrait lens for indoor and outdoor use both. Due to APS-C sensor however you will be limited at the wide end (angle of view) by crop-factor, which fairly common for most DSLRs that dont have full frame sensors.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes, Ideally a 60D is the camera to go for due to value for money propositions, built quality and Canon IQ. But if he is not willing to invest in many lenses and do photography too often, the Sony DSLR will also work just fine. The OLED viewfinders on Sony are also one of the best. Also Sony fares better in video capture than many Nikon and Canon, with few exceptions in similar prices cameras.
  5. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    But when I tested, I felt 18-55mm lens doesn't have enough zoom capability for regular use. You need to change it to 55-200 very often. Won't that be little difficult? Where as 18-135 has decent range and an all purpose lens. Correct me if Im wrong.

I got this perception after watching this video.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I never thought of a camera in that budget. 70D costs around 75k. Thought I'll begin with a 40k camera. Pls advise if its better to wait, raise fund & invest in a mid range camera.

And regarding Sony, Canon & Nikon, the perception of Canon & Nikon being best is changing now. Sony is producing equally good or better cameras in the same price range. After going through many reviews only I decided to go for Sony. Major advantage I felt is the FPS. Sony cams are damn fast compared to Canon.
    And as Asimpleson mentioned video capture in Sony is far better too with autofocus.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    What is your budget outlook. Because the next lens you plan may need to start at 135mm or 150mm to help cover real telephoto. Anyways for birding 150-500 is needed. If it does not fit your needs to include telephoto lens for now. Then 18-135 is a good option. I would however go for option 2 if I am not looking to upgrade to telephoto soon. Or you can go for 18-135 and upgrade to a telephoto of your choice and budget later.
  7. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    Is it better to start off with a mid range cam itself? Will I feel like upgrading soon if I buy an entry level dslr? And is geotagging a must have feature??
  8. kiranrv

kiranrv Amatore

Chennai
    1 person likes this.
  9. kailasmenon2000

Chennai
    That sounds good. Mainly because I felt 18-55 will be a waste of money. Don't know whether Im right. As you said it makes more sense to go for 18-135 for the time being & then buy 150-500 or something similar later when I feel like.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I'll have a look. But I personally don't prefer Nikon as I was not at all satisfied with Nikon L120 which I bought for my dad. I was never impressed with the pics. I know Nikon is one of the best, but simple I lost my interest towards Nikon.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    My viewpoint about DSLR cameras is. A DSLR camera with good cross type sensors for accurate autofocus, a good prime lens like 50mm f1.8 that lets me exploit some great natural lighting (general walkaround lens). A 28-70mm F2.8 for portrait shots and a 70-300mm telephoto or a Sigma 150-500mm lens if I am willing to go for bird and wildlife photoshoots. 18-135mm is a great lens to have as well. But the question here is would you be willing to invest in these lenses which can cost another 1 lac Rs. more or less. The photogear including tripod or monopod, a few basic lights etc. all become a package for a wannabe prosumer. Sooner or later it becomes inevitable for a photographer to miss these objects of necessity more than desire.

It's a tough call so think hard about it and make a list of immediate and later things you wanna buy.
    By no mean would I buy anything lower than a D90 or D7000 or a Canon 60D. Please go to snapsort.com and compare camera bodies.
    Between D90 and 60D, 60D wins anyday. The D7000 is good upgrade to D90 but slightly expensive. So Canon 60D is your best bet. Sony is good for prosumers only if you are also willing to shoot lots of videos. The Nikons and Canons mentioned by me are a different breed than the cheaper D3200 or D5200 in the material that goes in those cameras. Pretty much like cars. All will take you from point A to B, but you will enjoy only a few when it comes to driving.

We dont get ultra cheap deals like in US so buy a camera and stick to it for next 5 years atleast. Unless money is not an issue. Best to buy the right things to begin with rather than upgrading as you have asked in your question.

EDIT: GEOTAGGING is a useful feature and depending on your needs it can be a definite plus to have the feature. The practical applications for mass markets are yet to be tested. It will depend on price although.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.