1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DSLR, Lens and accessories review and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ramjn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @asimpleson, Thank you for your views. Will wait to hear more from you and specifically if you have any comments on Pentax K-500 :) I will also continue my research on lenses that I may want to own later.

@ramjn, appreciate your views. I did check a few mirrorless cameras, but the snapsort comparisons showed the overall score and image quality to be considerably better in a similarly priced DSLR. For example, Nikon D5200 (overall score 89, image quality 84) and Canon EOS-M (overall score 47, image quality 65)are similarly priced around 32-33kk, both with 18-55 lens. Apart from the size (yes, it is a big factor) advantage, is there anything else that makes mirrorless a compelling buy? I will also spend more time understanding mirrorless cameras.

I am not in a hurry and will take my time before making up my mind. All the help will be very much appreciated in the mean time :)
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The whole exercise of making DSLRs and lenses is due to the sensor sizes and mounts and rugged alloy bodies etc. Although they can make smaller-lighter SLRs (even old shaped DSLRs a few models) with same APS-C or Full Frame sensors like in Nikon Df.

The IQ score on snapsort for mirror-less is due to reduced glass size and smaller sensor sizes that are slightly bigger than some point and shoot cameras. For reasons of value and portability and afford-ability I could have suggested something like Fuji HS10/20 and such other lineup, but you won't realize the fun and feel and versatility of a DSLR unless you have one. And having both the cameras I can suggest you to jump straight for DSLRs. Especially since a D3100 is available with kit lens and SD card at 20k a great beginner camera that you don't need to bother selling ridiculously cheap given the already cheaper price. (great to have as backup if you upgrade later).

The Pentax K-500 you mentioned compared to Nikon entry level line-up is a superb camera. Actually going by the specs alone, none of the entry level cameras are a match to it. And coupled that with a very highly regarded kit lens, it makes it a superb package at this price point. Frankly the Nikons that it was compared with at this price point are no match to it, not in its class to compare with. It has class leading pixel size/density sensor package, a definitely superior kit lens, penta-prism VF. I think Ricoh-Pentax is finally serious about the market. Thanks to Ricoh management; this is a pro-sumer level camera at a cheap price. It even managed to beat the D5200 afterall. Sensor shift, 9 cross sensors, 6 fps, 1/6000 shutter, really a lot of camera for the money I say. Surely a top contender. The best part is Pentax stuck to their K-mount and has as it rightfully brags 25+ millions lenses (total produced and sold already to choose from). That means in used market the choices of much older lenses from Pentax will be better than of other manufacturers.
    kailasmenon2000 and snck like this.
  3. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Update: Ended up buying a Pentax K-50 with double lens kit (18-55 + 55-200) :)

While researching on K-500, I got to know about the K-30 which is slightly costlier but offers weatherproofing. I sort of decided to go for it, but sadly it is an end of life model and no Bangalore dealer had it in stock. As per Ricoh India folks, there is only one piece available in India with a dealer in the North. They promised to follow up with them and send me this one piece, but I was in two minds as 'this is the last piece left'.

Understanding my confusion and seeing my interest towards Pentax brand (specifically for the K-30), they gave me a good offer for the K-50. It was considerably higher than my initial budget, but then I found a lot of value in the offer and decided to go ahead. Payment made on Friday and received the product on Saturday :)

Ricoh India was superb during my interaction with them. If I did not feel convinced, I may have changed my preference back to a more conventional choice i.e. a Canon/Nikon.

I am really a beginner with respect to DSLR photography and it will take me some time to learn. So more updates on how I am coping up with the DSLR later :)

Thanks a lot to @ramjn and @asimpleson again who chipped in with suggestions.
    asimpleson likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Nice buy @snck, so what was the final price body+lens, breakup if possible.
  5. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Apologies for not updating the price details here. I was requested not to share it on a public forum.

if anyone interested in more details, please do send me a pm.