1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DSLR, Lens and accessories review and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ramjn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Asking Flipkart Customer Care or finding out if the online seller (listed name) is an Nikon/Canon authorised reseller will help in such cases.
    Alternatively ask Snapdeal/Flipkart customer care if they will provide stamped dealer name and address and invoice and warranty card.

Fortunately buying a D7000+kit lens from Amazon has been a very pleasant experience as far as packaging and warranty etc. is concerned.
  2. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Irrespective of what Nikon says, if you get an invoice with the seller's TIN and its stamp on the warranty card, Nikon will have to honor the warranty. So, only thing to confirm is if you will get the Invoice with TIN and warranty card. Record the call just as a precaution.
  3. G NaveenKumar Reddy

G NaveenKumar Reddy Timido

Vadodara
    Hyderabad
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Only if its Nikon's warranty card. There are many sellers who provide their own warranty card and the product turns out to be grey.
  4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi all FIATographers,
    Looking for some advice from the pros in the group.

Planning to set up a SLR system in a year time. I have used SLR extensively for more than 5 years. I had a Sony A100 with Minolta 50 mm F/1.7 and Sony 18-250 mm F/3.5-6.3. It served me well till it was with me. The reason I went with Sony was because the image stabilisation(Super Steady Shot SSS in Sony, Vibration Reduction VR in Nikon , Image Stabilisation IS in Canon) is sensor based.So all my lenses would be stabilized including super primes(I call them super as even the cheapest prime lenses give better picture quality compared to zooms). Even though Panasonic and Olympus too come with sensor based stabilization they are mirrorless and have smaller sensors compared to APS-C

I do know that Lens based stabilization is better than sensor based. Though companies claims that they are in the range of 2-4 stops better but I doubt if its more than 2 stops better under extreme conditions. Besides stabilized lenses are close to 3 times pricier than normal ones. For example Sony 18-250 mm F/3.5-6.3 costs 30 odd K and Nikon 18-300 mm F/3.5-6.3 VR II is close to 85 K. Again the best prime lenses like 50 mm, 35 mm , 85 and 135 mm primes do not have lens based stabilisation.

Last year when I was in US for an offical assignment I had planned to expand my system with addtion of few primes which would not have been too costly and may be trade my A100 with a semi pro body. But one fine day on a road trip it suddenly stopped working. It was just a few weeks before I returned and I was already looking for a replacement Sony A77 MK I at that time. I took it to the Sony Service and asked if I can trade in. They said to trade in it has to be in working condition and they would check it and let me know. The estimated time was 3 weeks. I didn't want to risk that and went to a local camera repair shop. They said it would cost me about $350 to repair the camera. I asked them if they could service the lenses as well. They said they would get back to me in 2 days time. They called and told me that both the lenses had heavy fungus and are beyond repair. Most probably weather but we could never be sure. Though there was no effect on the photo quality yet but they were not sure for how long.

I looked at setting up a new system and it would have cost me close to $3000( a semi pro body, 50 mm F1.4 prime, a wide angle zoom between 10-24 mm, a travel zoom 18-300 mm and a 90-100 mm macro prime). I had other financial commitments at that time and completely dropped the idea of getting a new SLR. I got a Panasonic FZ-200 which is a prosumer bridge with 25x optical zoom and a constant F/2.8 bright lens. It has served me well over the last year and picture quality is quite comparable to APSC SLRs. The video quality is on par with entry level SLRs.

Recently during my trip to western ghats few guys asked me to take a few snaps for them using their SLR. Invariably my eyes went to the optical viewfinder and voila I realised what I have been missing. The itch to get a SLR has come back quite strongly.

Now here are my questions
    • Nikon/Canon or Sony( Service Support and availability of accessories in metros and from third party lens makers)
    • Lens selection( I am looking at the following which I would be collecting over a period of 3-5 years)
      1. Ultra Wide preferably zoom in 10-24 mm range
      2. One telephoto would most probably be 150-500 mm from Sigma
      3. One macro 90 or 100 mm( This would be only after exploring the genre. I haven't done much progress yet in last 7 years as I do not have that patience to run after those tiny crawlers. I love the macros phots available on web though)
      4. Primes 35 or 50 mm with F/1.4.
      5. One APSC travel zoom mostly 18-300 from a third party.
      6. I am not too much into flash photography yet and it hasn't intrested me much. I am always more inclined towards taking photos with available light. Feels more natural. May add flash or ring flash for macro photography if I ever get intrested.All these lenses as and when I am able to afford will be Full frame(FX)lenses as my final aim is to be able step up to full frame photography. Only the travel zoom will be a DX lens which will be disposed off when ever I am able to afford full frame photography. Haven't heard of anything after Sony A99 though they have come up with mirrorless A7 series of Full Frames. They cannot dump the A Mount though and I am hoping they have a full frame DSLT planned after A99. Nikon and Canon have made a lot of progress in the orthodox Full frame semi pro SLRs though( 6D, 5D MK III, D610, D750 and D810) though
    • Availability of other accesories such as filters, remote for bulb mode and long exposures , filters etc is a concern as well.
    • Lens based or senser based image stabilisation. The bodies for example say Nikon D 7100, Canon 7D MKII and Sony A 77 MK II are all in same range slightly more than 80 K. But image stablized lenses are quite a bit costly compared to normal lenses and then if I go with Sony the lure of Zeiss lenses though they are prohibitively costly.
    • Any other considerations to be taken care of.
    Only reason I am still more inclined towards Sony is stabilzed primes. I had enquired for A 77 MK II few days back and they were giving me 10 K off on body and close to close to 15 K off alomg with 16-50mm F/2.8 weather sealed lens. With still some more bargain to be done if I strike a final deal with them. Are such heavy offers there for Nikon and Sony for semi pro APSC models?

Hoping that the experts here will be able to get me out of dilemma.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am not sure if I understood your question. So, you first need to decide between Nikon/Canon/Sony?
    I am a Nikon user but you have to decide on the brand to choose. Each brand is good in some way. If you are not looking at very serious photography, it is wise to buy a good DX camera (like D7100) and the lens are also comparatively cheaper than the FX lenses.
  6. G NaveenKumar Reddy

G NaveenKumar Reddy Timido

Vadodara
    Hyderabad
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    My inputs are based on my experience and knowledge. I am a Canon user and I am not Canon fan boy. I use Canon because it meets my need and fits in my budget

Canon Nikon and Sony service centers are available across all metros. However not all 3rd party services are available in all metros.

I will suggest only one change in the list of lens i.e. 150-600(Sigma and Tamron) instead of 150-500.

IMO Canon or Nikon is better option that Sony. First and foremost their lens system, plus all of the 3rd party lens are available with Canon/Nikon mounts. Both of them have superior AF systems. With Canon you dont need to bother about if your camera will support a specific lens or not. In other words while choosing lens you wont need to worry if the body is compatible with the lens. All SLRs(Entry, Semi-pro) other than FF are compatible with all the lens of EOS lens system.

SLT and Mirror Less have long way to go to catch up with SLR. They still have minor time lag in what you view in Viewfinder.

Last and final point keep an eye on budget and take the decision.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Go for any Nikon or Canon body. A semi-pro or prosumer type will be good enough if eventually you want to jump to Full Frame (perhaps retaining APSC body & lenses also)

Why one wants Full Frame? Unless one really is that much into pro-level photography simply for professional or hobby needs. It may sound ridiculous but you could rather plan to keep both the camera systems for maximum advantages esp. what you have in mind. Therein come the budget part, which you could flex if you are going for periodical additions rather than upgrades.

Full Frame has much more advantage with wide pics, and also some macro (micro) - wider lenses and also portait, no compromise on crop factor. APSC advantage is more in the telephoto end. Esp. if you buy a Sigma-Bigma lens.

Both Nikon and Canon are leaders in terms of sale and overall popularity and versatility, Pentax is great too, they make a medium format for pro uses also. Inbody SR is a plus with Pentax and telephoto non-SR lens.
    Sony is odd-ball player, not that it makes sub-par DSLRs, it is more feature oriented and perhaps too much bold in terms of new features or formats for the average user. However with your overall needs and future upgrade expectations you might be better off choosing Nikon or Canon.

Nikon IMO has some more dynamic range sensors, perhaps more than Canon. Canon is the king of AF technologies, esp. combined with their L-Series lenses, making them like a gold standard for the pro-photographer or photo-journalist. Also, Canon has a more accurate hue (colour) out of the box. i.e. without post-processing.

Choose wisely as price wise both are similar for most part and have comparable offerings in terms of lenses and bodies. Except Canon L series etc. are 'true' professional grade lenses.

To begin with for body you could choose like D7000 instead of D7100 and save some money with little to no compromise.
    In Canon you could choose a 60D and be equally happy. As far as lenses are there you have Sigma (Bigma) options for both in the tele lens category. For upto 300mm lenses best to choose Tamron. For portrait or wide look at Tokina ATX as choice no. 1, followed by Tamron, then Sigma. Also, for Macro Tamron would be my choice.
    mchanna likes this.
  8. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi experts,

I am considering my first DSLR purchase around the 30k budget. I am not a serious photography enthusiast, but I find the performance of my current point and shoot camera (Nikon L610) very poor - especially in low light. My immediate objective is a good entry level DSLR camera for casual photography (indoors, family outings etc) which takes good photos in low light conditions and also moving objects (say kids playing) without blur.

I can see Nikon D3300/D5200 and Canon 600D (all with 18-55 kit lens) in the 30k range online. Then I went through this thread in which asimpleson has put his reservations against these entry level cameras and now totally confused. I browsed a bit about Pentax cameras and can also see Pentax K-500 with 18-55 kit lens available in the 33k range.

Would the Nikons mentioned above serve my purpose? I am confused between these models, more leaning towards the D3300 though (Loosing in-camera HDR, flip-out screen, more focal points etc against better battery life, light sensitivity, smaller size, panorama support etc)? I am ok not to have the flip screen, but not sure if the HDR support and more focal points make D5200 a better product overall.

Does the Pentax K-500 fall into entry level or into the Canon 60D/Nikon D7000 category? Purely from imaging perspective, is it a better choice than Nikon D3300/D5200? I have been thinking that with in-body image stabilization, the lens prices will be comparatively lower, but have not been able to find many compatible lenses online. Would availability/price of lenses be a limitation with Pentax if I decide to take some more serious interest in photography later?

Would really appreciate comments and general suggestions from experts. Thanks in advance.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @snck, my reservations which you see are mainly regarding the value offered by SLR cameras esp. for most people who do not spend often on upgrades, yet want to take photography to the next level. Penta-prism Viewfinders, LCD read-out, in-body focus motor (to support older or cheaper non-motorized AF lenses), more AF points, faster shutter speeds, more continuous shots; all these are hallmarks of a pro-sumer or pro-grade cameras. This you will find to be true for most SLR manufacturers.

So entry level DSLRs are good for people on budget, since anyhow they do offer APS-C sensor (albeit a bit lower grade) with lesser image processor power, yet equivalent pic quality that can at times rival pro-photo quality. Also a fact remains that any DSLR pic needs some basic to advance level processing depending on intent and skill level of photographer. So if you intend to learn a bit and go slow with your photography adventures, definitely choose a cheaper camera rather than an expensive one.

Pentax aren't always priced more competitively in India. Do compare on sites like snapsort.com or lenshero.com before you decide on body and lenses. Make a list of lenses you might want to have and choose a camera accordingly. Will suggest more later.
    snck likes this.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @snck - I would rather recommend you a mirrorless digital rather than heavy DSLR's. Give a serious thought to this.
    snck and kunwar.g like this.