1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DSLR, Lens and accessories review and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ramjn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    To add , shooting with a prime lens is much more challenging and satisfying than shooting with zoom lenses. Try shooting landscapes with a 50mm prime and you'll know :) . Also like rudresh said , primes are usually sharper , cheaper and lighter than similar zoom lenses because they have very little of the complicated mechanicals/electronics that zoom lenses have. The 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor is widely considered as one of the best primes ever made and can be picked up for a low as 5K. But you need to use a lot of grey matter to use it in different situations and it forces you to think when composing your shoot. Unlike being a "zoom-zombie" :D
    asimpleson and DOT like this.
  2. DOT

DOT Timido

Bangalore
    So you suggest 50mm Nikkor over 35mm Nikkor?
  3. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    If you construct a metric like "satisfaction per rupee spent" , yes :) I am considering the AF-D 50mm vs the AF-S 35mm. The only downside of the 50mm is that it does not have a built in focus motor , so it is does not autofocus with cameras like the D40.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I would suggest to go with 35 mm f/1.8G if you have DX camera. This is a DX lens anyway.

And go with 50mm if you have FX camera. 50mm is available in 2 models f/1.8 d and f/1.8 G. The 'd' does not have built-in focus motor whereas the 'G' model has it.
    Ravi likes this.
  5. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ramjn, is not G costlier than D? I think there is a slight price difference. But 50mm is one of the best lenses out there. Night shots are just amazing.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes. G is expensive than D. G may cost around 10-12k and D around 5k. Both 50mm and 35mm are very good in low light if not the best. But the 35mm can't be used in a FX Camera. Don't make sense either.

I have 50mm f/1.8 D. Bought for Rs. 5k. :)
  7. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If your DSLR doesn't have an in built motor go for the G version. The extra cost will get justified as soon as you get more in focus keepers. I have used both the D and G version and kept the G, just cause it have me more keepers. Also, the G version has manual override.

If most of your shots are going to be inside, then get the 35mm, as 50mm can become too long. Bokeh on 50 is better by a good margin though.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  9. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thats a killer price for 35mm. Amazing prime lens.
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is an awesome price for 35mm. But, I am not sure if this will be covered by 2 years Nikon India Warranty. See the below notice posted on the Nikon India Website.

Nikon.jpg