1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

DSLR, Lens and accessories review and recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ramjn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I realized that there is no thread in TFI for a comprehensive recommendations on lenses and other accessories like filter, tripods, etc. And hence, starting this thread.

Now, I need some advice on getting good filters (Polarized and ND). I checked in Flipkart and the Hoya filters seems to be popular. Shall I go ahead with it or is there any other better alternative? Initially, I am planning to get a 52mm CPL for my 35mm lens.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1 person likes this.
  3. Hoya is good, but i dont see any difference in using them. save your money!!
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks. Now, I am confused. You say it is good but you see no difference. What does that mean?
  5. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    Good, looks like you are in full form.
    Now Tell me which is your first Passion? FIAT or Photography??

Regards
    Gopi
  6. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Filters

Hello ranjn,
    My first question to you would be, what is the purpose you require the filter for.
    If it is a polarizing filter, would you be doing the kind of photography that involves a lot of reflection or vegetation?
    secondly, using a polarizing filter will kill 2 stops of the lens, that is a huge difference when photographing in low light. on the other hand they eliminate reflection, making images brighter and producing good contrast.

GND filters are a problem with the lenses that rotate while focusing.

Many people use UV filters, which is not of much use with the DSLR's. Mostly used for protecting the lens.
    You can keep the filter on the lens, just like a lens cap.

ND filters would also kill stops but they are great for long exposure and if you don't want to spend extra time editing the image for color and balance.

End of the day, its your call, to use a filter or not for your style of photography.
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Fiat Photography :D.

I was planning to use the Polorized filter for the landscape photography. Being a nature lover, I mostly visit hilly regions and forests. So, I thought this CPL would be of great use for me.
    2 people like this.
  8. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    CPL for landscapes is great. I use a Hoya CPL for my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I love the way the clouds and blue sky appear with the CPL. It is a must have for a landscape photographer.
    1 person likes this.
  9. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Then I would suggest getting the GND filter or getting your hands on a tripod and a good HDR image developer.
    Usually the sky is bright and so the balance of the image gets messed up, the objects on the land seem darker.

A GND filter would fix this, Hoya, marumi, Omax are good brands, provided you get the original.
    Alternatively, you could set the exposure bracket to +/-1 or +/-2 to capture 3 images of different exposure at one go, so you can create an HDR image to your liking.

Luminance HDR is one such application. freely downloadable, but it leaves a watermark on the images.

You can try the HDR technique before investing in a filter.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3