1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Drove thru water clogged on the road just below door sil height

Discussion in 'Technical' started by shakesin, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Shake As u mentioned u drove around 100mtrs and thn engine stop responding, first as you were on second gear so chances are high that water may entered in engine thru silencer. In other way may be as ur vehicle is six years old so some electrical parts failure may be seen.

But don't shock if FASS give you lac+ estimate as they will consider this worst and accordingly will take this job.

And also if its some other part failure so do all checks done which are req for engine.
    shakesin likes this.
  2. jpshya

jpshya Timido

Bangalore
    @Shake - Even my punto stopped in middle of water, when I was trailing a truck and he suddenly thought to stop in the middle. I was very close to him, and was forced to brake and Vehicle stopped. Even though I was aware not to start car if it stopped in water, Unconsciously cranked, but car didn't crank. Then it was towed to Vecto, Bangalore. It happened last October.

Since Vecto didn't have cashless facility for Bajaj Allianz insurance, I have to tow it again to KHT, Bangalore. Vecto initially gave an estimate of 1.5L and asked to me pay half, even check what all went wrong. Since KHT had cashless facility, they could start work immediately.

In my punto,
    > When I started the car in middle of water, the starter motor conked off, which prevented in engine cranking & further more damage.
    > Certainly some amount of water entered the engine
    > KHT service guys told me that, they will try Engine flushing multiple times, and try starting the car. If it starts, then damage is very less. Car started after engine flush.
    > Only damages were starter motor, glow plug, clutch plate (got rusted due to stay in service center). They replaced all oils, fuel filter, diesel filter, air filter and cleaned the filthy interiors and I was good to go.

Total expenses was 38K. I had to pay 17k from my pocket, rest insurance.
    Car was in service center for a period of 1 month (delays from multiple end - Insurance delay, Pooja holidays etc)

Now I have driven it for another 15k kms and tochwood, haven't seen any issue.

Hopefully yours also doesn't give you a heavy bill. Ask them to do a step by step assessment, instead of overhauling whole engine.

I dread to forget that night. I now consciously avoid driving when it rains heavily.
  3. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I too drove once on a fully water clogged road and can anybody tell that water can only enter through silencer,if car stops in the middle or it can enter from somewhere else too.waiting for some answers.
  4. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Same case and my car is at Aadya as well, however I somehow don't feel very comfortable with the situation at hand, I am looking for a second opinion and will probably tow the car out of Aadya and get it fixed outside
  5. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Silencer is the main component thru which water entered as its placed below bumper and if water cross this level and engine get switch off it works like vaccume cleaner. And outside technician are not enough capable they just do practical on ur car n learn.
  6. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thanks Abhinav for giving some hope.
    @Roadking is yours the white GP?
    Where are you planning to show it?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 9, 2015, Original Post Date: Sep 9, 2015 ---
    Thanks JPSHYA, will there be any difference since mine is a petrol car. Or same procedures as you have mentioned?
    Shake
  7. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    OK, so my insurance co royal sundaram has rejected my claim, and only approved money for cleaning/flushing the engine. The SA is yet to open the engine and provide a damage assessment, he has already made his mind that there are minimal chances that only flushing the engine will work.
  8. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    That's unfortunate but usually insurance won't honour the claim if engine is water damaged and they deducing that you tried cranking it after it stopped.
    shakesin likes this.
  9. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    This is exactly why I bought the engine protector add-on while renewing insurance from Royal Sundaram. Peace of mind, in case I'm ever in this situation. Bangalore is famous for its impromptu swimming pools, with the poor level of planning and road design, forget finding alternate routes to escape.
    shakesin likes this.
  10. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Insurance was somehow approved, however not sure how much they will cover, but the SA told me they will pay upto 50% since the vehicle is almost 6 years old.

Selwyn, i started to check on the insurance additional cover by Sundaram, it seems its not for vehicle more than 3 years old.

This cover is available for (Engine (Aggravation) Protector Coverage):

1.Vehicle upto 3 years of age
    2.Vehicles registered and plying anywhere in India
    3.Vehicles registered and used as Private Car
    4.The first claim preferred under this add-on-cover
    5.Cover from inception of policy – no midterm inclusion or endorsement
    6.Vehicle to be inspected before granting Cover for Old Vehicles
    7.Can be offered along with our Renewals