1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Drove thru water clogged on the road just below door sil height

Discussion in 'Technical' started by shakesin, Sep 7, 2015.

1. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Last night after it poured heavily in b'lore, I drove through a heavily clogged road for 100mtrs and the car suddenly went off. I was on 2nd gear:(. Got the car towed to aadya motors this morning, waiting for a damage assessment. The road side assistance from royal sundaram insurance company wasn't that quick prob coz it was free. I read thru the forums and found I shouldn't have tried to crank the engine after it stopped, but my feeling is the electricals stopped the engine, and there is only a click sound when I tried to start it this morning. Now waiting at the service station and all horror stories cooking in my head.
    My question is, should i call and inform the insurance company or wait till the assessment is done?
    Thanks,
    Shake
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    In general, while driving through a clogged road, one should not change the gear, and cranking the engine is even worse.
  3. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yup, learnt that the hard way, all electricals are fine as per the diags, waiting for more news.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The thumb rule is not to drive through the water, always have a alternate route. Even if you have to drive through water, you always have to keep the gears low and high revs, use clutch for braking to avoid water ingress inside the exhaust.

If you are lucky and if only the injectors are clogged, then you will escape with a small hole in your pocket or else expect the hole to be a lot bigger coz if the engine is seized and internals damaged, then the only solution is replace the engine. Pray and pray real hard that you don't end up with that issue.

Get the assessment done and be physically present when they open the internals (if at all they do it). Then maybe if required call the Insurance co.
  5. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thanks, mine is petrol 1.4, they will open the engine tommorow, the SA mgr Maksood is dealing with the case. He only said the engine is blocked.
  6. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I too drove on a water clogged road,I too was very worried but in my case nothing happened,I kept it in the first gear and reved hard continuously till I cleared the path.I hope nothing was damaged.
  7. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    @Aviral singh, since your car didn't stall midway, everything should be good. I still remember driving my Alto in water clogged area in Thane, stayed in first gear and didn't took foot off from accelerator. Whenever i think of that incident I still get goosebumps
  8. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    What's the price of 1.3 MJD 75 BHP engine?
  9. gazgotta

gazgotta Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Namma Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Changing Engine sounds scary !:wtf: May be its good idea to list out the tips on ride and handling and how-to-deal with cars in some tricky situations like this. This may serve as an excellent GUIDE-BOOK on the TFI Forum for in-experienced guys who can benefit from such a list and can save lot of trouble and finance issues. TFI mods can give it a thought!:cigar:
    shakesin likes this.
  10. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Got a call from SA Mgr, he says the Engine needs to be overhauled. Water came out along the engine oil, and the air filter was completely wet. Hes suspecting bended crank shaft and piston rods. The cost may be around 1.5-1.6 lacs, with insurance only covering 40-50% as the car is now 6 years old. So basically im completely screwed:(