1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Dropped remote key in water ; not working now

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by dnyaneshdivekar, Dec 26, 2012.

1. dnyaneshdivekar

dnyaneshdivekar Timido

PUNE
    hi friends yesterday i had immerged my remote key in water for almost one hour .since then my remote key is not functioning.will it be repaired or will have to order duplicate key (costing almost 6k)
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Let it dry under air or Sun the way we do for Mobile handsets. You can even open it and let it dry. Try therafter. Also check Battery of remote. Change and try if it works with new battery. I think it's Maxell 8032 size battery.
  3. dnyaneshdivekar

dnyaneshdivekar Timido

PUNE
    does battery get short if it comes in contact with water?
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    ^^^Might be possible. It costs only Rs. 40-50 so why not to eliminate this simple item. Who knows the remote starts working and you are saved of the hassles of ordering another one. :)
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Were you doing some sort of experiment? :)

In all probablity, the key's gone kaput. Still change the battery, let it dry for a day and try again. Did you open the key and try using a hair dryer to help it dry faster? You can try doing that.

Whatever, happens, please let us know what the result is. We are VERY interested to know if the remote fob works after lying in water for an hour! :)
  6. dnyaneshdivekar

dnyaneshdivekar Timido

PUNE
    no yar i had short weekend trip to tarkarli.I was doing watersports and i forgot that my key was in my pocket.Any way will try vahans suggetn.Lets hope it will save my 6k.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    If they key or mobile is dropped in water never press any key. Directly dismantle the device. Use rubbing alcohol and clean all the board. Dry it with hair drier perfectly and then power the device on.

Due you submerged it in sea water. I am sorry to say but i see remote chances that it will ever start working again. The battery doesnt get damages but its the resistors and diodes etc that get short due to water. So battery changing wont help.
  8. darkshooter

darkshooter Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    I believe the chip on the keyfob gone kaput and changing battery would not help as said by Italia Linea.
  9. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Re: Linea remote key not working

I have had my keys in washing machine for an hour or so when my linea was 1 year old.

I dried it and It continues to work absolutely fine in its 4th year with no problem whatsoever. Just dismantle and keep all parts for drying for a day. It will work.

Also, you can keep the key in a Rice jar overnight to let the moisture be absorbed completely.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    5 people like this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Re: Linea remote key not working

Dismantle the key completely.
    Remove battery.
    Wash & wipe with pure alcohol
    Blow warm air with hair dryer
    Dont assemble the key yet
    Keep it 10 inches away from a 60 w bulb for atleast 12 hrs.
    Assemble the key again with a new battery

If it still dosent work... Take it to TASS with a the key code card you received when buying car.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012