1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving without EGR valves. Is it safe for the engine?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Deepak, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hi All,

In many 'Sudden power loss' issues faulty EGR valves found to be the culprit. If the car is driven without the EGR no power loss is seen.
    Importance of EGR:
    Pros:
    1. The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again.
    2. vital to your car's emission controls.
    3. Reduces compression temperature in cylinder: EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. Exhaust gas is routed back into the combustion chamber because the exhausted air is much hotter than the intake air. EGR works by diluting the N2 and providing gases inert to combustion (CO2 primarily) to act as an absorbent of combustion heat to reduce peak in-cylinder temperatures.

Cons:
    1..Rough idle and poor acceleration can be caused by a faulty EGR valve.

I have following questions:
    1. Is it ok to run disconnecting the EGR?
    2. Will it cause any harm to the ENGINE ?
    3. Any effect in the long run ?

Please educate me.
    prabhjot and Rituraj like this.
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I don't know about the effect on the car. It will for sure damage environment. What if everybody starts driving with EGR disconnected? Lung cancer and respiratory problems will sky rocket like in China.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    So without EGR the Engine will run Hotter. There is an increased stress and pressure on the cooling system. which when fails can destroy an engine within minutes.

Me feels the engine mechanicals last lacs of kms without issues, but its the cooling system which fails. and eventually leading to a failed engine.
    asimpleson likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    And also the fact that many oils even more critical in diesel engines; with time have reduced content of some important anti-friction materials to counteract negative effects on emissions or passing NOx tests. This is an industry wide move to save DPFs but somehow is affecting engine longevity.

EGR as mentioned in Pros point no. 3 are critical components and necessary both for emissions and regulating engine temperatures.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Sujit508 : not really. there are people who ran 50k disconnecting the EGR. Moreover they disconnect the EGR when you do the remap.
    running without the EGR should not be an issue for shorter period. Im just worried about its effect in a long run.
  6. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Yes I did mention it may effect the cooling system in the Long Run. More often than not, the increased pressure in the cooling system will cause the coolant ducting to weaken. and a weak hose will let go or start to leak without warnings while driving. and the pressure in the closed system will ensure that all of the coolant is pushed out within couple of minutes. and Lo!! the car overheats within minutes.
    Anyway this is hypothetical scenario based on the fact that the Cylinder Temperatures may be higher due to Egr Disconnection.

Read this today . interesting read http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/05/dont-block-or-remove-the-egr-valve-its-saving-you-money/
    Deepak likes this.
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Sujit508 : good article :)
    however he says in the end "There is no performance advantage to removing it and the only thing you’d accomplish is wasting more fuel."
    And no mention of any harm to engine if its removed.
  8. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    A good read :
    http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/diesel-engine-egr-bad/

As per my research and going through the threads on EGR valves its OK to run without EGR. Yes it might affect the environment but no harm to engine as such. there are people who are running without EGR for more than 50k km. Also in all remapping they disable the EGR.
    There are some doubts on temperature increase in cylinder if EGR is disabled. I have seen few owners mixing 2T oil (2ml/ltr) to kee.p the engine temperature low. I shall start a separate thread on mixing 2T oil.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  9. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Come on man! even you know EGR valve is harmful to the Environment if removed so why to even bother to check if there would be any impact to the Engine, I am sorry but if you ask me, I would make this as a highlight point to the Forum stating Do Not Disconnect EGR Valve.
    I have seen a Joker (Non-Fiat Car) disconnected his EGR Valve because he has modified his ecu for power, I guess he wanted to compete with Petrol engines and you should see his tail pipe, that Chrome end has turned totally Black, and nobody tailgates him closely.
    Oh and 2T Oil, are you serious man ! Forget the benefits for your engine, but have you considered the Environmental impact because of that ?
    asimpleson likes this.
  10. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Anup : :)
    Chill man. im not suggesting to remove EGR for race modification. This thread was started when i came across many 'sudden power loss' issues in the forum because of the faulty EGR valves. And owners were asked to drive disconnecting EGR till they get new one from FASS. Hence this thread.
    and about 2T: there is a very less impact on environment as the mixing proportion is very less. (say 1000:1 or 1000:2)
    --- Double Post Merged, May 6, 2015 ---
    Imagine mixing kerosene with diesel and it still works. No wonder that engine could take 2T mixed with fuel!