1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving with your hand on Gear !!!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mridhul, Sep 25, 2013.

1. abhiiceman

abhiiceman Amatore

Bangalore
    Thought I just learnt driving I somehow addicted to drive with one hand on the steering and other on the gear nob even I was confused after seeing the owners manual but my friend said he's been driving this way for over a lack kms and no problems faced till now so didn't crack my head towards this again

BTW when I put to reverse gear I get that karrr noise even if tried changing smoothly same noise .what am I doing wrong here ?

Sent from my Canvas Play Edition using Tapatalk 4
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Assuming of course that the clutch is pressed and released correctly, if the reverse gear is making noises, the problem should even appear in 2nd and 3rd gear. The gear shifting should be a bit difficult if not noisy in 2nd and 3rd gear as well. Maybe the clutch is showing signs of wearing out. :(
    1 person likes this.
  3. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Initially when I bought my car my left hand invariably rested on the gear lever. But after I read the instruction in the manual, I forcibly quit the habit. Now, I hold the handbrake lever.
    Ps- Most of my passengers are scared silly the first time. They believe I'm gonna 'drift' the car. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    3 people like this.
  4. abhiiceman

abhiiceman Amatore

Bangalore
    Car is just 2.7k old..and actually It makes kat noise not karrr when shifted to reverse ..and just observed that we can feel the gear lever move a bit when we press the trottle after releasing the throttle completely and with legs completely of the clutch ..observed this in third gear and not checked in other gears

Sent from my Canvas Play Edition using Tapatalk 4
  5. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    I hear this noise during the cold start and reverse gear use. I learnt this can be avoided by waiting for 1/2 minutes after the engine crank, wait for RPM to settle around 900 - 1K, then clutch ply is important, full press and engage the gear. It works fine.
  6. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Ditto,:-D however, when upshifting quickely, from 2-5, when there is open road, I keep holding the gear lever after shifts, since, this tend to be quick, hope this would not affect the mechanicals.
  7. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    IMHO, there won't be any issues. The manufacturers consider the worst case scenarios and suggest preventive measures accordingly. Its a blanket caution. A little here and there won't cause any problems.