1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving with your hand on Gear !!!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mridhul, Sep 25, 2013.

1. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

i also drive by resting the left hand on the arm rest...and my dad used to scold me even till someyears back for this ...but still thats my comfortable driving position..i use both hands while parking the car or making sharp/U turns..and when i test drove linea for the first time,the most comfortable and useful thing i noticed was this armrest..as i was using a custom made one in my old maruti zen..
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Latecomer to the thread.

I have heard this being recommended but never been able to wrap my head around the real reason. One explanation I have been able to come up with is - From a strictly technical point of view, merely keeping your hand on the gear level will do no harm. But if you keep your hand in a manner which cause it to move ever so slightly that it starts engaging the gear or coming out of the gear - that can surely be harmful. And this is probably why the manufacturers caution against it.

You can feel this in neutral on an idling car - moving the gear level ever so slightly results in a slight gnashing sound. If you do not move the lever even 1mm from it's rest position and merely keep your hand on it, no issues then. ( Do not try this on your car. Your gearbox can disintegrate/explode etc)

I do have a bad habit of keeping my left hand on the gear lever but at my sub-conscious level I am always sure to let the lever stay at the rest position and not let it move so that it starts moving out of gear. But it is a bad practice in any case.

Two hands on the steering always - 9 o clock and 3 o clock or at 10 o clock and 2 o clock, whichever you feel comfortable with.

1 person likes this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Fiat I guess advocates for the 10/2 O clock positions, hence the swell on the steering wheel provided with a grip for the thumb. Punto has this. I am sure even Linea steerign too would have it.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Almost all of us tire over a period of time and want rest and so does our arms. So its no doubt that many still do it.
    Like gurjinder pointed out making 100% sure that there is no movement of the lever would mean that its safe to keep your arms on it. But then again that's just practically too difficult and you never know what will happen when.

Ideal thing would be to pick up the arm rest and get it installed. I have an aftermarket one and i paid 1600 including installation. Something like that will help a lot.
    But Use it as less as possible and on highways try not to use it at all and hold the wheel with both hands :)
  5. pradeepg245

pradeepg245 Amatore

I keep my left hand on my thigh while driving.:p
  6. Viny

Viny Esperto

Left hand position depends upon who is sitting on co drivers seat ;)
    8 people like this.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

LOL :evilsmile

Epic OT but funny nonetheless. Good one Viny.
    2 people like this.
  8. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    Gotta "hand" it you on that one!!

9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

In the Linea i never rest my left hand on gear lever,as i dont fee comfortable somehow.

Not sure if it is related,but in Dec 2011 i did a 600km drive in my Scorpio and i remember resting my Hand on the gear lever for almost the whole of the drive when the vehicle was in 5th gear.The moment i returned,the vehicle started slipping to neutral on its own from 5th gear.This used to happen only in 5th and not in 1st or 3rd gears.

Thankfully it was in warranty,and 5th gear and some synchro kit had to be replaced.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  10. limraj

limraj Superiore

Linea 1.3
    I discussed this with my wife and she could not stop smiling for some time, the other day.

I have started using the arm rest, even for city drives. I do not want to take a chance of making replacements.
    1 person likes this.