1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving with your hand on Gear !!!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mridhul, Sep 25, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I am really surprised, that nobody seems to think of holding the steering wheel with both hands, instead of coming up with various places and ideas to rest the left hand when not shifting gears. Guess I am too old for this. I was taught to and still drive holding the steering with both hands, unless I need to shift.

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  2. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I also drive with my left hand on gear.....i installed arm rest so that i can rest my arm on it. I usually drive with both hands on steering wheel when i am very tired :) and at high speeds on highway......
  3. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I learnt driving, using a single hand and the other one on the gear lever. I got used it in my Alto and I am still not comfortable driving with both the hands.
    Thanks to city traffic for constant gear shifts that it is cumbersome for me to move my hands constantly from the steering wheel to the gear lever.

P.S: I know that driving with the steering held in both the hands is the best practice but habits die hard.
  4. I use steering with both the hands, in B2B traffic using both the hands helps to reduce effort required if you are using one one.
    to be able to do this, one need to be in right gear a bit ahead of the actual requirement.
    1 person likes this.
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Someone told me that in GCC(some countries in the Middle east) you will fail the driving test if you rest your hand on the gear lever or anywhere else. Both hands have to be on the steering. Gear lever must not be touched except for shifting.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  6. mridhul

mridhul Timido

India
    Before Buying Punto, i was crazy behind taking test drives. I drove a Lena with ARM rest but didn't find it comfortable... But when I drove Skoda rapid, it was really a good experience. may be the seat adjustment
  7. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    I too drive with one hand on the gear , i even play some times like when u rise the accelerator the gear knob moves front and vice versa :) , but one thing i like the most is when you have two hands on steering specially in linea , on Mountains the curves can be plotted on spot than while you drive it with single handed. Try this out , you will feel like the complete car is in control of your hands :).
  8. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India

True. I've got friends in Dubai and Oman who have failed for like 3-4 times in driving tests. Both hands to be on steering wheel always except when shifting.

- - - Merged Post - - -

With you on this.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. mridhul

mridhul Timido

India
    True man... Even I love climbing my MLCP with a single hand on the steering wheel.. Really feel that control....
    1 person likes this.
  10. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I use to drive with single hand and other hand on left passenger seat or near by Handbreak. I only drive with both hand when i am in mood to go fast fast on highway :evil: :redcar . I never had problem or any thought of having Arm Rest till now.

I too agree with fellow member that punto seat position is somewhat need to be taken care.