1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving with your hand on Gear !!!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mridhul, Sep 25, 2013.

1. mridhul

mridhul Timido

India
    I was reading the owner's manual yesterday and I found that they recommend not to drive with your hand on the Gear lever.

It was something new info for me and I always use to rest my hand on the gear lever.. I tried to change it from today and really felt that it is not that easy :)

Felt very strange to keep both my hands in the steering wheel in straight drives :)

Any similar experiences ?
    1 person likes this.
  2. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I used to do the same until I got the Linea arm rest installed. I find it difficult aswell to drive with both my hands holding the steering wheel. I do this occassionally on highways only.

Here is the pic of the armrest in my Punto.

19.jpg

18.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    In the second pic, doesnt the arm rest obstruct the Hand brake.
    I usually avoid keeping my hand on the gear level, normally maintaining a 10:10 clock position of the hands on the steering wheel. However sometimes in B2B traffic, my hand automatically reaches to the gear lever to the frequent gear shifts.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  4. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Many people have asked me the same question. Strangely it doesn't. May be I am used to working around it. I never had a problem.

I observe that when I give my car for servicing or for valet parking, they always lift the armrest and I have to bring it down everytime. :)
    2 people like this.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    If I am not wrong it is mentioned in our car's user manual as well.

As Ravi said get get Linea Arm rest for you and it will cost you around Apprx Rs. 5k including fitting.
  6. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its costlier now...approx 9k.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Ohh is it? Thats a huge difference Shashank. I will check with Pandit.
  8. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yeah..IIRC Only arm rest without mounting brackets cost you around 5.5k now. Thats the reason i have dropped idea of Installing Linea arm rest on my Punto.
    1 person likes this.
  9. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    I have now had 2 cars which have given me the say directions in the user manual in context to not putting a hand on the gear - The Fiat ofcourse but the Fabia carries the same recommendations as well for the same identical reasons.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I have started to use my lap to rest my 1 arm all the time in a long stretch empty roads after reading the caution in user manual ;)