1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving to Ooty - Scared and need tips :)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by riturajmnnit, Aug 21, 2013.

1. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and confidence boosters :)

I did ooty this friday, while going up, I took masinagudi (36 bends) route and it was indeed a fun to drive, my only query is in almost all the bends I had to keep my car in first gear, I was not able to touch Power Band in second gear. Any tips ?? or this is normal for a steep hike ?

While coming back, I took Gudalur route, which was not that bad except 3-4 big sized potholes which could be carefully negotiated (but yes never take this route in night).

Thanks again
    2 people like this.
  2. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

I think thats normal. I have driven in Punto and Swift both MJDs.
    I had to climb in first gear most of the times.
    Remember thats one of the steepest climbs..
  3. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Linea 1.3
    From Chennai to Ooty which is better and scenic?

1. Chennai -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Perundurai -> Annur -> Ooty
    2. Chennai -> Villupuram -> Salem -> Perundurai -> Annur -> Ooty
    3. Chennai -> Ulundurpet -> Kallakurichi -> Attur -> Bhavani -> Sathyamangalam -> Mettupalayam -> Ooty
  4. RedPoint

RedPoint Amatore

I would suggest the below as far as I know.

4. Chennai -> Krishnagiri -> Thoppur - > Mettur -> Bhavani - > Sathyamangalam -> Mettupalayam -> Ooty

However the route from Thoppur to Bhavani via Mettur is not a national highway, bit averag. Can enjoy mettur dam view and hill side road. If you have time you can also enjoy Hogenakkal falls.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013