1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving to Ooty - Scared and need tips :)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by riturajmnnit, Aug 21, 2013.

1. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and confidence boosters :)

I did ooty this friday, while going up, I took masinagudi (36 bends) route and it was indeed a fun to drive, my only query is in almost all the bends I had to keep my car in first gear, I was not able to touch Power Band in second gear. Any tips ?? or this is normal for a steep hike ?

While coming back, I took Gudalur route, which was not that bad except 3-4 big sized potholes which could be carefully negotiated (but yes never take this route in night).

Thanks again
    2 people like this.
  2. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    I think thats normal. I have driven in Punto and Swift both MJDs.
    I had to climb in first gear most of the times.
    Remember thats one of the steepest climbs..
  3. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    From Chennai to Ooty which is better and scenic?

1. Chennai -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Perundurai -> Annur -> Ooty
    2. Chennai -> Villupuram -> Salem -> Perundurai -> Annur -> Ooty
    3. Chennai -> Ulundurpet -> Kallakurichi -> Attur -> Bhavani -> Sathyamangalam -> Mettupalayam -> Ooty
  4. RedPoint

RedPoint Amatore

Chennai
    I would suggest the below as far as I know.

4. Chennai -> Krishnagiri -> Thoppur - > Mettur -> Bhavani - > Sathyamangalam -> Mettupalayam -> Ooty

However the route from Thoppur to Bhavani via Mettur is not a national highway, bit averag. Can enjoy mettur dam view and hill side road. If you have time you can also enjoy Hogenakkal falls.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  5. Anirudha Mukerjee

Anirudha Mukerjee Novizio

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.4
    Hey guys,
    (reviving the thread)

I am planning Bangalore -Ooty the coming long weekend of good Friday. I dont have much ghat experience but want to try the 36 hair pins just to convince myself that I can.
    Any tips before starting from Bangalore? What specifically I should check in the car??
    What should I ensure I keep for the way?
    And yes, the better half has motion sickness issues, and is not too excited about the hair pins - any pointers?
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Anirudha Mukerjee - If you are too worried or not sure about the ghat roads, I suggest you to avoid the Masinagudi route. You can instead take the longer route from Mudumalai to reach Ooty.
  7. Anirudha Mukerjee

Anirudha Mukerjee Novizio

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.4
    @ramjn I am not confident now - but would definitely try the challenge. I am planning to take the Masinagudi route towards Ooty and Gudalur on the way back. this way we get to see both routes.
  8. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    • Do check fluid levels - engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, PS fluid
    • Get your air filter cleaned
    • check tyre pressure (all 5)
    • check all lights/indicators are working, and also handbrake
    • keep spare bulbs, pressure gauge. also good to have : tyre inflator
    • lastly, carry whatever helps for the motion sickness (fizzy drinks for some/oranges for others/tablet called avomine-but NOT for driver, as it may cause drowsiness)
    Anirudha Mukerjee likes this.
  9. Nazgul

Nazgul Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not a confident sentence, would suggest you to swap the routes you have chosen. Logically onward Gudalur and return Masinagudi.

Coming to the motion sickness part, motion sickness will be at peak if you choose to return through the Gudalur route. Its the curves that cause maximum damage than the hairpins and Gudalur has more curves which elevate MS.

Logical bit- Onward through Gudalur means your carrying less speed through the curves given that your moving uphill, if returning on the same you will obviously carry more speed. Masinagudi will be more or less the same for both, this is a tight section and you should not be travelling more than 30kmph at any point in time.

If you choose Masinagudi for the return, please make sure your are in 2nd or 3rd gear till you finish the ghat, engine braking is a must and one should not rely on the brakes alone, remember you have a hand brake accessible as well.

I wouldnt recommend tablets for motion sickness, the best thing to do is give the person a chocolate/orange candy and have them look at the road through the windscreen for the section.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Driving uphill on the Masinagudi route is better than driving downhill imo. Again, it depends on an individual. My best suggestion for him would be to avoid the Masinagudi route this time.