1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving to Ooty - Scared and need tips :)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by riturajmnnit, Aug 21, 2013.

1. bluepunter

bluepunter Amatore

Bangalore
    nothing much to worry pal. just do it. 36 hairpins is real creamy for a car like linea. if you have done wayanad & nandi, just do the same with masinagudi also keeping in mind the info regarding gears & lane discipline. happy motoring.
  2. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    Ohh Man, Amazed by the response.:)

As suggested by theblack, this is my opportunity to overcome the fear and yeah I shall :)
    Thanks a lot guys, will keep you posted :)
  3. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    Good luck and Drive safe.
  4. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Banagalore
    Good luck...share your experiences soon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
  5. santhukp

santhukp Amatore

Bangalore
    TN part of Bandipur-Gudalur road is really bad .I have taken this route last week.if possible avoid this stretch.
  6. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Bangalore
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    that is for not putting extra load on your brakes. doing this while descending will result in excessive use of brakes which can result in overheating and failure subsequently
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    When driving downhill, if you put the car in neutral, with the engine running, you have effectively disengaged the gear box and are depending on gravity to roll the car. You will have no control on how fast the car can roll, except by using the brakes. Excessive use of brakes when going downhill causes excessive heat generation and you will experience what is known as brake fade.

Either the brake fluid will overheat and start boiling, due to which the brake pedal will become spongy. Alternately, the drum / disc and the brake pads will overheat exceeding its maximum operating temperature, though the pedal feel remains the same. In both cases, the brakes will not have enough power to stop the car.

However, if you engage a gear, but do not press the "A" pedal, then gravity will roll you car and the wheels are forced to turn the engine, as they roll. This extra load on the wheels will keep the speed in check, so you have to brake only when it is really needed.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  9. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    With so many suggestions in place. Your confidence would have boosted multiple levels.
    Now whats your destination in Ooty, which hotel/sightseeing etc.
    Please enjoy the Bandipur/Theppakadu wildlife if possible. Probably, if you are lucky should be able to see Elephants/Deers etc.
    Or take a jungle safari. Early morning or late evening should be good for sightings. Ooty hotels also would arrange them.
    Finally, Enjoy the awesome weather Ooty provides even though its taking huge crowd most of the times.
  10. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    Thanks Guys.

We have recently been to Bandipur and spotted few Wild ones ;) This was on our way to Wayanad.
    In Conoor We will be staying in TEA NEST for 2 days.

Drive is planned for friday :)