1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving to Ooty - Scared and need tips :)

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by riturajmnnit, Aug 21, 2013.

1. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    Hi folks,

My parents are coming down this weekend, and I will taking them to Coonoor in my Linea.
    This is possibly my first drive alone (always had a friend accompanying, but with Mom-dad, there is no more room left.

I have done ghats to Wayanad -> Kannur, Nandi Hills and Karwar section. But then ooty hairpin bends are possibly steepest.

Was checking route options:

1> Blr - Kankapura - Gundalpet - masinagudi - ooty (36 hairpin bends)
    2> Blr - Kanakpura - Gundalpet - Gudulur - Ooty ( Gudalur Ooty stretch is in tatters, with big big craters)
    3> Blr - Salem - SH15 - Kotagiri - ooty (80 Kms extra)

Now considering, my mom dad are not used to long drives and ghats specially. And further I am scared about doing 36 hair-pin bends.
    What route should i take, and with my experiance will it be really tough rather risky to do 36 haripin bends ??

Please suggest
    1 person likes this.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

The Linea was built for ghats and hair pin bends. Just do it. You will be fine.

3. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Linea T-Jet
    I have visited Ooty in Jan 2013. I have taken Salem -> Mettupalayam -> Ooty route. I have started the ghat section after 12.00 PM. Road is OK, not very steep hairpin bends. But in the afternoon lot of vehicles (especially buses,lorries etc) were doing the descent and road was bit crowded. And most of them were travelling at high speeds, which was a bit scary.

I hope if you start climbing in the early morning, the downhill traffic will be less.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  4. oncemoredieselpower

oncemoredieselpower Novizio

Hey Rituraj,

Nothing to worry. I have done Blr-ooty twice and the first time was with my palio. So it should be a piece of cake for linea.

However, please note that the shorter masinagudi-ooty route could be exciting for you alone due to driving thrill, however it is not much scenic (compared to gudalur route) and with 36 hair pin bends it could be tiresome for your parents. I'd suggest a relaxed drive via gudalur route. We visited ooty this may end and route via gudalur was not that bad, linea should be able to deal with it easily [we went in an innova though, i was not allowed to drive :(] However, route conditions might have changed now after monsoons.

Which route are you planning to take from kanakapura to Gundlapet? Via mysore or via chamrajnagar? I'd suggest via chamrajnagar would shorter and more fun too.

Enjoy your trip and do post some pics and a travalogue

With best regards,

- - - Merged Post - - -

Agree with Sreejith. Mettupalaym-ooty route can be very crowded. Actually, after reaching ooty we parked our palio at the hotel and hired a cab for local sight seeing. I'd suggest doing this as some of the local roads are quite narrow and most people on road (being outsiders) lack basic driving etiquette

BTW, amazing response to your query. By the time i had read your thread and completed typing my response, 2 members had already posted replies!! This is what makes being part of FIAT family amazing. It was similar experience with PUG (palio users group, India) earlier for me. Only FIATs can inspire such camaraderie!
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Make sure car is in tip top shape.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Keep it in the power band and keep the speed reasonable is all I would say :) Let the Linea handle the rest.

1 person likes this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Rituraj, if you are really scared about the ghats avoid Masinagudi route for now. Choose between option 2 and 3. If you choose option 3, then take Mettupalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty/Coonoor instead of the regular Mettupalayam-Coonoor-Ooty route.

Let me know if you need any more info. :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

I just returned yesterday from ooty trip..I went for Route 2 via mysore. .drive was easy and scenic ..but road conditions are bad as soon as u enter tamil nadu...but its safe..I was also not confident I taking 36 hair pin bend route..belive me you won't regret driving extra kilometres ciz that will be compensated by lovely scenery along the route

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
  9. shams

shams Esperto

1. be confident as you have already driven in wayanad, nandi hills etc.

2. maintain strict lane discipline except at places where road doesn't permit.

3. honk generously at all blind curves including hairpins. all 36 hairpins in kalhatti ghats have mirrors by the way!

4. use brakes less and control the car with gears. use same gear while ascending/descending at same places.

5. better to drive with windows rolled down on the ghats.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Don't intend to scare anyone, but a couple of the mirrors are missing.. someone took them home I guess... idiots!

Rituraj, you can take the masinagudi route for your onward journey, stress level would be less for parents, there are about 6 spots which are really steep however they can be managed if driven in the correct power band as pointed out by Gurjinder

Now, for your return journey if you wish to take the same route, make sure that your brake pads are in tip top condition, and rely heavily on engine braking, would suggest heavy use of 3rd and 2nd gear for the descent...

Note- Motion sickness can peak out with route 2 and 3 and make sure there has been enough interval between a meal and the ghat
    1 person likes this.