1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving to Leh - Why?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by PatchyBoy, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Why am I driving to Leh?

1. It is the only adventure spot left in the country

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. It is the Mecca of road trips

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Just want to prove to myself that I can do it

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Everyone else is doing it. Why not me?

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Of late every single Indian Forum that I visit, that has anything to do with mechanized mobility - I had to coin that, as even the bicycle forum I am a member of has a thread - about going to Leh.

This thread is to try and understand why. I am too guilty as charged. I did a Hyderabad Leh run way back in 1989 on my trusted Yezdi CL II. Those days, it was a real adventure with almost non-existent roads and help hard to find. Is it still the same? Or are we collectively commercializing Leh?

Request members to poll truthfully, so we know why we do what we do.

Thanks,

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The kind of traffic jams in may and June on the srinagar-leh highway makes me to believe that it is indeed highly commercialized.

But still driving down to leh is a dream for me. Don't know if I have also fallen into that commercial trap.

Sent from my Micromax A116 using Tapatalk 2
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    according to me, it is the mecca of all roadtrips!

i have been dreaming about it for last couple of years. last year i had all plans of going there on my thunderbird but somehow the plan didn't materialize. lets see when it happens

I have a friend who rides to Leh every year and has been there 14 times till date on his royal enfield!! he has done it once on bicycle too!!
  4. venka

venka BANNED

I got entu to leh after seeing a thread by 4 guys in Tata safar(it was dream vehicle) i. By seeing the natural beauty and their experience felt I will do it one day.

Later got to know about worlds highest motor-able road , then decided to do it in bike only.

At last did it last year in Electra -350 , after three failure attempts due to various reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    For me driving has substituted train/bus/aeroplane and everything in between since the last 5 years.
    If i have the time then its got to be my car. So leh happens to be one such place and hence i'm driving.
    Not to mention the ability to stop where you want and the freedom it offers is just nothing compared to any other mode of transport.

One may argue that hiring a car would also give you the same freedom but in that case why should i pay for the car and driver, when i already have both with /in me!! ;-)
    might as well spend that amount over a beautiful shack overlooking the himalayas!!
    1 person likes this.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    How many of you have watched Gaurav Jani's "Riding Solo to the top of the World"? That is my dream. If I ever go back to Leh / Ladakh or the whereabouts, I dream of going and camping in the ChangThang Plateau :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Here goes my crazyness on Leh.

First, all i know or heard about Leh is via images, National geography shows. Then comes reading articles about it. So a lil zeal to visit this place started inside me 2 years back. Then i started doing trekking, in 2011 i did Himalayan trekking. Then the craze towards all that north indian border shooted up crazily in me. Not just Leh, i wanna do more in all the himalayan stretch :D

So cycling, driving or riding in the roads to Leh is really awesome because seeing the nature, driving on the curvy roads it is just stunning.

Hope below pic from recent trip from my friend to same place will justify....
    I would just love and die to drive in middle of this stunning nature..

935021_4894889542520_1078032669_n.jpg

944524_4894887942480_149624297_n.jpg
    2 people like this.
  8. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    Driving to Leh & Laddakh is an ultimate ride for any driving enthusiast. Its also tempting me to do the same & one of my wish list but what stopping me to explore or exploit this beautiful landscape, other than many practical reason is are we spoiling the nature's beauty by haphazard commercialization & making it a another tourist spot without considering its ecology
  9. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    To put it in a sentence- It's an itch that won't go away until you scratch it!

I have been longing to do this for the past 6 years and hopefully next month I will be sitting on one of those peaks searching for network on my phone just to let everyone know that I am there.....
    2 people like this.
  10. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    My dream is to travel East of North East

No offence to any driving enthusiast heading to Leh Laddakh, but its becoming like all tom-dick & harry are venturing there. but what I feel this passion of people may spoil the beauty of this place.
    I'd prefer to drive extreme East of North East India, which is still a pristine beauty unexplored. I wish some day my Linea take me there. Would like to know law & order situation there & hope roads will be good enough to take me to Cherapunji rain forest.
    AAMEEN.............