1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Driving the XJ (alongwith Ride and handling comparison with Punto)

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by royj, Feb 3, 2012.

1. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

If Punto has such excellent handling and ride quality which stands close to Jag then it is worth to mention in the forum. And this is what Roy has done.
  2. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    You are a lucky man Roy! :)

Are'nt the rear vanity mirrors similar to the ones we have in our Fiats?
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

XJ Vs Punto comparison is unfair on so many levels
    Like comparing Indian and Brazilian soccer teams...

Nice pics though... there are quiet a few XJs & XFs roaming around on Pune roads...
    1 person likes this.
  4. As it is clearly mentioned by Royj, Punto's handling is comparable to XJ and it is very much appreciable that Punto is able to almost match the handling of a car which is leagues superior.
  5. Wonderful sir. With the experience that you carry, can we do the same thing for our punto's outside ;). It. Would be fun
  6. royj

royj Esperto

How do we compare a Punto and and Jag? Is it really comparable? What exactly was I thinking about when I compared the two cars?
    I admit I didn't bother about answering all these questions when I made the first post.
    Some of the comments in subsequent posts made me rethink on these lines and hopefully I can better clarify the facts about this comparison.

First, what did I compare? I compared only one aspect - just how easy it was to maintain a desired line of path through the curves. Or in this case weaving through other vehicles in traffic. That is basically the handling, not ride, just the handling. Ride is several times better on the Jag.

Any one who has driven a Punto will know how easy it is to predict the behaviour of the car and maintain your speed and line through the curves. It is a kind of Benchmark among the small cars. My experience on the Jag was that it was easier than the Punto, but not by a big margin. I was driving at normal speeds in moderate city traffic which was about 50kmph (30-35mph).

Now how do we compare this behaviour? Looking at the specs of both these cars, and the laws of physics will tell you that it is much more difficult to maintain a huge and powerful car in line than a small and less powerful car. But Jag is still a notch above Punto. So that is what the Jag has achieved by being easier to handle than a Punto.

So the Jag has really achieved much much more than the Punto. When you take it to higher speeds and it maintains the same precision, you will realize what the Jag has really achieved.
  7. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Can you confirm as when the all new face-lifted Jaguar XF 2.2 diesel will hit the Indian roads?
  8. royj

royj Esperto

I have no idea. We work on the development side. This information will be available with the marketing side.
  9. Prajith

Prajith Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Roy, thanks for sharing the pics... It's only when you compare it to the best you know where you stand. It feels good to know that Punto's handling can stand somewhere on top if not close to Jag.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Please note that the comparison has not been done w.r.t any sort of performance . Its purely been handling, now its not hard and not insane to compare handling against any car for that matter.
    All expensive cars need not be better to drive than their cheaper counterparts.